FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMidwife or Obstetrician?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest_46637 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guest_46637 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Midwife or Obstetrician?
    Posted: 16 May 2011 at 10:24pm
We just discovered that we are pregnant using a home test! Very new to this as its our first child - so after the test we called the GP for advice - but she was very unhelpful!
Now im on the hunt for either a midwife or obstetrician to help - and want to know anyones experiences with either of them?
What are the pros and cons of a midwife compared with a obstetrician - and which do you think is best for me to contact first?
I feel slightly confused - and estimate that I am about 7 weeks, so need to get organised ASAP!
Any help is appreciated!
Sponsored Links

mothermercury View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mothermercury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 10:38pm
Well, my opinion is that you don't really need an obstetrician unless you are high risk or have other health issues that may cause complications in your pregnancy, or unless you are happy to pay. Obstetricians are not free, like midwives, unless you are referred to one (e.g. if you went with a midwife and something came up causing you to be high risk, they would refer you to an OB anyway).

I had a midwife, so I can't comment personally, but from what I've heard, OBs can be quite "medical" (duh, they are doctors, but I can't figure out another word to describe what I mean ), while midwives tend to provide a more... personal experience (they also do home visits after the baby is born, which I'm not sure OBs do - someone may need to confirm that). However, I'm sure this would depend a lot on the individual OB!

I think most midwives are quite capable of dealing with normal pregnancies, although they get a bit of a bad reputation in the papers sometimes. I think you should go with whatever you are comfortable with, really. Some people feel they need the "safety" of an OB, and hey, if that is what is going to give you security and peace of mind, then go for it. My midwife was awesome though, and I couldn't have gotten better care!

There are not too many private OBs around (at least not in Wellington), so if you do decide to go with one, you should get onto it ASAP. Also, if you choose a midwife, do it like YESTERDAY, because they book up fast! Good luck on your search.

Oh, and congratulations!
Red View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 9:16am
Guess it depends what you are comfortable with - I had a very experienced midwife and no complications so she was awesome and free. If you wanted an Ob you would probably be paying around $4K dpending where you live. Obs tend to work along side a midwife so the midwife does any home visits.
kabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 9:27am
Firstly, congratulations! If you choose to go with a mw, here are a list of recommendations by women on this forum. Go to the last page for the updated list. You can arrange to meet with a couple of the first before deciding who you want. Good to get onto it early though, as some book up quickly;
link

If you've got no health problems, i'd go for a mw.

KarenMae View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KarenMae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 10:22am
I have an OBGYN - but I do have health problems. Recurrent Miscarriage (I'm on medication for this), plus had an op on my cervix which can cause premature labour.

If I didn't have any problems, I probably would have choosed a MW.

My OBGYN is Barton Matshe at Boulcott Hospital in Lower Hutt, and he costs $3,300. That covers all visits 2-4 visits from 10 weeks to 20 weeks, monthly visits from 20-28, fortnightly till 36, then weekly. Also includes delivery (either vaginal or C-Section) and aftercare till 6 weeks. You get an ultrasound at each visit also.

As I said, if no health probs I would choose a MW, but some people choose an OBGYN regardless as they feel 'safer' I guess.

Personal choice, but whatever your choice - get onto it!!!!

And congrats on your pregnancy
choco69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choco69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 12:14pm
i would agree with the others, most women choose to have a midwife instead of an OB unless they have particular concerns or are high risk

my OB's office is very personable and has been very good so far in my pregnancy - however it costs $3500 - that gives you monthly visits till 28 weeks, then fortnightly till 36 weeks, then weekly till delivery, they also have midwives on staff that you can talk to about concerns who will do the at home visits post birth

it is a very personal decision and you need to make the right choice for you - remember at any time you can change your mind and change providers (wether OB or midwife) - so would suggest you ask those you know who have had children already who they used, and go and talk to some of them if possible to see if they are the right fit for you

DesSt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DesSt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 1:14pm
I had an OBGYN for care and birth and he was great. It was more "medical", as Miss Shells suggested and I had to be very firm in ensuring that I was presented with options rather than just doing what the Dr wanted. (I.e, he suggested a c-sec because he felt I was tired. Lol, I had to explain that I felt I was not tired!)

I think that with a mid-wife you'd probably have a more holistic birth. From what I understand it is easier to form a relationship with a mid wife than a Dr.
Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 1:15pm
I would go with a midwife unless you have any medical reasons as to why you'd need an OB. Most midwives will refer you to an OB if needed and in that case its free. My midwife refers me to the OB as I have CSection history.

My midwife does, monthly till 28 weeks, then every 2 weeks till 35 weeks, then weekly until delivery, and its free lol

I find the midwife much more personal and caring the when I see the OB. OB tend to be more "medical" and midwives are more "natural" and do it the way nature intended.

Edited by Sheza

sarasal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarasal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 2:12pm
Congratulations!

It probably depends mostly on finding an individual who shares your ideas about birth, someone who you get on with and someone who listens to you and supports your choices. Some midwives can be quite medically-inclined while some doctors can be very supportive of natural normal birth, so you've really got to ask them a lot of questions to figure them out. Ask them for their birth stats - if they have high rates of caesarian, induction, episiotomy, forceps etc, that can tell you a lot about their practice.

Remember, you can shop around as much as you want and you can change at any time. Before you start looking, do some reading about birth options so you can get an idea of what you might actually want. Find out for yourself about the risks involved in interventions. That will guide you as to the sort of questions to ask your potential carers.

If you're at all interested in avoiding unnecessary interventions, go for an independent midwife - not a hospital-based midwife. In my experience, there can be an enormous difference between midwives. Those who really believe in natural birth tend not to like working in hospitals.
Puddleduck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Puddleduck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 5:13pm
I think this really depends on the style of care you're after and if you are willing to/can afford to pay. I started with a midwife and then changed to an OB halfway through. However this was a lot to do with the particular midwife not midwifery care over all.

I found the midwife was far too personal in her interactions, bordering on inappropriate. The OB was obviously more medical and reserved but still friendly and reassuring.

I wanted to go with a OB originally but didnt think I could justify the $4000 as I am in my 20s and have no health issues. As it turned out there were a few hiccups along the way and I ended up with a c-section. In the future I would not hesitate to go back to the OB.

Good luck with your decision and congrats on your pregnancy!

Tyrbear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyrbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 8:56pm
If you have the money I would pay for an OB. I used one from Boulcott hospital and was def worth the money. I had a few health problems so was great to have the OB. You need to book quickly though.

Good luck with the pregnancy

tropics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tropics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 8:28pm
congrats!

I am under an OB and was with my first pregnancy and personally believe its the best $4grand spent, but its all personal preference, I havent found the medical side of things an issue, I find it quite reassuring that they have that wider medical background to be honest. I did have problems with my first pregnancy (hypertension and pre-eclampsia) and was in the best hands possible with the OBs, they have always been extremely througher, available whenever you need them and Ive been 100% happy with the care and money that ive spent (which will be over $8000 once baby number two comes along since Ive been through them twice. Once bubs is born I have a post natal midwife that will come and visit me and I also go back to the obstatrician. They came and visited me every day after bubs was born in birthcare to see how we were getting on.
[/url]
 Post Reply Post Reply