FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBabysitting Rates - What are they!?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
1stBABY4me View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stBABY4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Babysitting Rates - What are they!?
    Posted: 31 May 2011 at 1:43pm
Anyone know what the going rates are for babysitting? We have found someone to babysit while we are out Friday night for dinner (18 mth old will be asleep or they may have to put her down)and I have no idea what hourly rate to give.... can anyone help - what's the norm - is it different for night and day or all the same!???! Cheers :-)
Sponsored Links

linda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 2:04pm

We tend to pay $15 per hour but it really does make you get back home early. I have on occasion suggested a set rate of say $50 and say I will be home by a particular time

Alex 6 and Harry 8
sarahm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarahm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 3:20pm
I work at a nanny agency, our rates are $18 an hour before 7pm (as we assume most children are still up then) then it goes down to $14 an hour. You may find high school students or uni students who are happy to do it for $10-$12 but it depends how much experience / age of sitter etc you want.
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 6:07pm
Wow...way better than the $20 I used to get for a night!

I guess you have to supply snacks on top of the cash?
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 8:25pm
I pay our daycare (qualified) teachers $15/hr and always round it up .... and my teenage neices $10/hr.
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)
1stBABY4me View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stBABY4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 9:22pm
Thanks for that... and I'm assuming you'd supply dinner etc?? And if they aren't qualified and in their early 20's would you still do $15?
freckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 10:08pm
LOL Kel I agree, for a big night I use to get $30 LOL... I would ask what they normally get paid?
mum to 3 lovely girls :D
jaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2011 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by AandCsmum AandCsmum wrote:

Wow...way better than the $20 I used to get for a night!

I guess you have to supply snacks on top of the cash?

My 15 yo still babysits for $20 a night plus a ride home and snacks. Although this is her rate from 7pm to about 10ish and only through the week, she puts her prices up for Friday and Saturday night.
Whateversville View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whateversville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2011 at 6:53am
I once got $50 and a pack of smokes for babysitting 3 kids aged 11, 7 & 5 for 3 days and 2 nights while the mum went to auckland. I had to make their lunches for school, drop them off & pick them up etc. I thought i'd made heaps lol
fairy1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fairy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2011 at 10:07am
Arghh, is it just me or do these prices per hour seem expensive. I have to get a babysitter for about 10hrs in September for my sisters wedding and am not looking forward to the cost.
Panda289 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Panda289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2011 at 11:48am
Fairy you might be able to charge less for a full day like that, I used to babysit for a set amount and time. My 17 year old sister who lives in Wellington would probably do it for $80ish cos she adores babies!

I remember when I first started 10 years ago and my going rate was $5 an hour! I was babysitting at least once a week for various people in the neighbourhood.and loved it cos it mostly meant control of the tv which I did not have at my house..
Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2011 at 12:45pm
I usually supply dinner (cooked chicken and rolls and salad stuff for them to make themselves). I'd also ask what they usually charge before agreeing to have them babysit. My daycare teachers used to charge 12.50 but found that some charged more and now are all qualified so they set the amount so they all charge the same, as the person charging least would get all the work! haha.

For the 10 hours, if its overnight they may do it for less as they will just be sleeping ... if its during the day I'd work out a set amount with them.

We don't pay babysitters often, so just suck it up and deal with the expense as we know they are in great hands with their teachers and will have no issues. Mostly we use my mum tho = free! Or one of us stays home. :(
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)
Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2011 at 12:46pm
Holy crap, i used to get $25, free range TV and a selection of snacks. For the night. Might get back into babysitting if thats the going rate these days!
Gina175133 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gina175133 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2015 at 1:52am
I say be up front with the sitter as to what you can afford to pay when you first call them "take it or leave it". If the sitter doesn't have qualifications ie. first aide and CPR Certs then that's another thing to consider. I would go with 10-12 an hour especially if your going with a teenager. I can't justify paying a teenager 20 bucks an hour when they don't have to do much like cook or clean, and most likely spend the evening on their phone or watching a movie.
Bellaz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bellaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2015 at 8:39am
I would suggest paying a high school or uni student $10 an hour... that's what I always used to do it for (not that long ago). Once the baby is asleep, they will probably just sit there and watch a movie or do uni work, so it's not a hard job. Now I just babysit for free for our family and friends.

Post Reply Post Reply