FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCoffee Catchup - North Shore 28th July

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
skiltz View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skiltz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coffee Catchup - North Shore 28th July
    Posted: 28 July 2014 at 3:00pm
OHbaby! Coffee Catchup - July 28th 2014. Feel free to ask questions and Dorothy will reply when she can.
Sponsored Links

BaileyG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaileyG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2014 at 10:07am
Hi Dorothy

Thanks for a great session yesterday!

I have a few questions for you for my 12 week old.

With the extra bf 15 minutes before nap, what happens if they are sleepy and fall asleep while feeding?

I also have a 2.5 year old and we go to playcentre two mornings a week. This can interfere with baby's sleeps and sometimes have lasting effects in the afternoons because she hasn't had a long solid sleep while there. Do you have any advice for dealing with napping on the run.

One last question! Quite often baby will wake at 6-6.30am and because it's still dark (I feed her lying down in bed), she will often fall back asleep for an hour or so which often means I get more sleep too. Is this a bad start to the day and should I get up and keep her up for 1.5 hours?

Thanks for all your tips and advice!

Kate :)

Lotte130044 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lotte130044 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2014 at 1:04am
Hi Dorothy
Thanks for a great session yesterday!

I have a 4 month old boy who has started to be incredibly hungry and unsettled at night right on 4 months. At the moment he feeds twice in his 2h wake time within the day and 2 hourly within the night which used to b 1-2 feeds. With my overactive letdown feeding times are quite short though. He has also started to wake hourly sometimes. His day routine is pretty settled usually and unless we are out a lot he gets up to 3h+ sleep a day. Sometimes he does cat nap too. He is in his cot and we do try to settle him in there,or our arms if necessary. We are pretty consistent with our patting, holding, shhhhing approach.
I have read online about the '4 month sleep regression' and wanted to know what you think of that as well as any advice you can give me on helping my man to sleep longer periods at night again.

Thanks a million
Lotte
DorothyW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DorothyW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2014 at 9:14am
Hi Kate
I think its an awesome start to the day. However it is what you feel is right.   I would tend to probably just see if you can resettle in arms at that time of the morning without the feed, but it again does depend on what time the last feed was as well. I can't think of anything better than snuggling with a baby after that early morning feed.

With regard to the 15 minutes just start the feed slightly earlier - work with your baby. IF your baby falls asleep then just take her off swaddle and then into bed.   As we know there is for and against babies falling asleep on the breast and again an individual decision.    

It is hard with a toddler in tow but if you are teaching your baby to self settle and resettle then this makes doing a moving nap easier. Remember a baby can't self settle and resettle on their own until between 12 and 16 weeks so your little one may need some help here to do it.

Dorothy
DorothyW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DorothyW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2014 at 9:17am
Hi Lotte
I believe that there are lots of reasons why babies have the 4 month onwards sleep regression and in a lot of cases it is because the baby has not been taught to self settle and resettle.   IN saying this babies are unable to self settle and resettle on their own until between the ages of 12 to 16 weeks.

As you have a 4 month old baby feeding two hourly there would be other things I would be looking at - his weight, your diet, whether you are offering one or two sides per feed, whether he is getting a feed before he goes back down for a nap.

Ideally at 4 months his wake times during the day are approximately 2 hours and he is having 3 naps of minimum 1 1/2 hours per nap.

His wake time routine would be he wakes, feeds, plays, feeds, sleeping bag and down for a nap.

Dorothy
DorothyW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DorothyW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2014 at 9:18am
Hi Ladies
Thank you for all your questions and hopefully the answers will help you. It was lovely to meet you all at the OHBaby Coffee Catchup.

Remember before you do anything STOP, THINK, and ACT – work out what you are doing, why you are doing, and what you are trying to accomplish and then act.

Remember YOU are the baby’s mum and so listen to your heart and instinct.   Yes, we all don’t do it by the book, or get it right the first time, but you need to make ‘mistakes’ to get it right for you.   It’s a time of learning a little person’s personality and figuring out what works for your home life.

If you have the time I would love to see you pop over to http://www.facebook.com/BabyWithin and 'like' it. You can then keep up with information that I post from time to time or hear from other mothers who write on the wall. Also there is now a “recommendations’ section and it would great to hear your comments.

Please remember as a parent or carer that you should understand and acknowledge that Dorothy is NOT a licensed medical doctor or other licensed medical provider and the information that I share with you has come from experience and working with numerous families and babies and toddlers
 Post Reply Post Reply