FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCar seats & 2 door cars

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Apfel84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apfel84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Car seats & 2 door cars
    Posted: 18 September 2014 at 9:05am
Anyone managed to cope with a car seat in a 2 door car? I'm sure a clip in capsule will work but when baby outgrows the capsule, I'm wondering how getting baby into a rear facing seat will be.... impossible?
I'm sure there is enough room to fit a seat and we have big front doors that open quite far back making access a little easier, just if it is rear facing I can't imagine how it will work.

Edited by Apfel84 - 18 September 2014 at 9:08am
Sponsored Links

wimble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wimble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2014 at 9:53am
I imagine you would probably have to actually get in the back yourself to do the harness up correctly.  Would also be tricky getting a sleeping baby out of his/her seat easily!
Mum to 3yo Mr C
#2 due May 2015 :)
Mushroom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mushroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2014 at 10:11am
What Wimble said - you sit in the back seat next to the carseat, and can get baby in and out that way. Works fine for 1 child, but couldn't do it with 2 car seats in the back! We put our car seat on the right behind the drivers seat, so could climb in the left side of the car and sit there :)
Me: 35, PCOS, endo, DH: 34, severe MFI
6+ yrs TTC#2
M/C 2012, clomid 2013, IVM 2014, IVF 2015, M/C 2015
2016 FET#1- BFP - MMC - Emergency D&C
FET#2 - BFN
Jul 16 - stage 3 endo removed.
Oct 16 BFP
KP06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KP06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2014 at 10:57am
I've done quite a bit of research on this as we have 2 door cars and won't be buying a 4 door when I manage to get pregnant.

There are car seats that rotate 360 so you load in forward facing and then once they are buckled in you spin them around to rear facing. Can't say I have physically tried any of them but they are all top of the line ones...and yes not cheap.

The only one available in NZ that I can see is the britax dualfix through baby on the move, it is isofix only I think so won't work with older cars with seatbelt.
http://www.babyonthemove.co.nz/car-seat/toddler-car-seat/Britax-Dualfix-
Other ones are (there's more but I'll need to check my list at home) and these aren't available in NZ but either can import or maybe someone is selling one on trademe.
Combi Zeus 360
Orbit Baby for capsule or Orbit Toddler sor the other which will be the size you would want.
Cybex Sirona
Maxi-cosi Axiss but this only rotates 90 degrees so not so helpful with a 2 door.

KP06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KP06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2014 at 5:13pm
Found my list and here's the other models;
Also Kurrutto NT2 which I think may be Japanese but I couldn't get that much information,
And Infa Turnatot

I could only find the Britax Duafix in NZ and it's Isofix only, I'm not sure what we will do exactly just yet but it took a while to find that information so may help someone else, I think most of them have youtube videos to show how they work.
Apfel84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apfel84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2014 at 8:10pm
Thanks kp, only just saw your reply. That's really useful. I'm not sure what isofix is so will have to look it up.
KP06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KP06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2014 at 8:27pm
Some connector thing in your car, its instead of using seatbelts. Only newer cars have it 2006+ or so depending on model.
Apfel84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apfel84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2014 at 9:17pm
Woop whoop. Car has isofix
 Post Reply Post Reply