FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWellington Peeps - warm house ideas?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Wellybaby86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wellybaby86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wellington Peeps - warm house ideas?
    Posted: 26 May 2015 at 8:30am
I am wondering what you all use to heat your houses? We are in a standard 1970s single level house with only a woodburner in the lounge. Now this is all good and warm when it is going but when Bubs#1 comes along and I am at home for a bit - how do I keep house warm without using the fire? I am thinking of getting a couple of those flat panel wall heaters - one for our room and one for hall and nursery. Are they economical? We'd also looking at putting in a heat transfer system but that is only good when the fire is actually going!

Looking forward to hearing from you - thanks :)

Fyi - this post comes about from my being awake for THREE hours this morning freezing my nose off
Hoping to add to our family of 3 in 2017!!

Sponsored Links

_H_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _H_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 10:27am
Ohhh following this. We also have a fire in the lounge which is great but thinking next year we need something to heat bubs room.
*Sara* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Sara* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 10:49am
The flat panel wall heaters are good and cheap to run, they don't really super heat the room, more take the edge off. We used to have one in our bedroom (well its still on the wall) i just accidentally put a big crack in it!   We now have a heatpumps. And last year got underfloor insulation, and new carpet which has made a big difference.

Heat transfer systems are great when you have a big cranking fire, i go home to my parents to get my fire fix :-)
nannikin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nannikin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 11:20am
I'm not in Welly, I do live in the SI - so here's my $0.02 anyways :)

We put a (home-made) blackout curtain in DD's room behind the existing curtains, which along with making the room darker helps keep the heat in. When DH and I were both working fulltime we put aside money and had the bedrooms doubleglazed which helps a bunch too. I use a small oilfin heater in her room, on low.
We do have a couple of panel heaters in spare room & office, they are definitely cheap to run but they take the chill off the room rather than actually heating the space IYKWIM? I'd say they would be a better choice over the heat transfer system for heating bedrooms though, in my experience :)

We've been in our house for 3 years now, and up until a few months ago our only heating for the living area was our fire. Great when it's going, but soo cold when it's not. Put a heatpump in recently, the heat is not as 'nice' as the fire, but good for those days you can't be bothered lighting the fire, and means the house is warm when you walk in the door/get up in the morning. It'll be a lifesaver when I am up in the middle of the night with a baby!!
Wellybaby86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wellybaby86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 12:10pm
Thanks ladies, all great info. We have underfloor and ceiling insulation and are looking to get double glazed windows by the end of the year but i feel like we need that in-between kind of thing. Trying to convince DH of panel heaters but he isn't very keen so far..
Hoping to add to our family of 3 in 2017!!

Stoked View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 2:15pm
I found this info some time ago re insulation v heating v double glazing and found it very helpful. As a result we are putting wall insulation in our DD room (so re-jibing / plastering etc) - which is an ice-box in winter.

http://www.communityenergy.org.nz/heating-v-insulating-which-first/
 Post Reply Post Reply