FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMince dishes, dairy free

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mince dishes, dairy free
    Posted: 11 July 2007 at 1:25pm
Friends of ours are putting on a 'do', basically a pot-luck dinner but they have asked us to bring a big mince dish with no dairy products. There goes shepherds pie!! I guess that means meatballs, with flour instead of breadcrumbs. Anything more exciting?
Sponsored Links

aimeejoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimeejoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2007 at 1:45pm
You can make anything dairy free, even shepherds pie, jsut need to substitute! Just don't use a sachet mix for the mince, use dairy free marg to mash the spuds (Olivani, Golden Harvest or Meadow Lea Lite) and no cheese on top.

Meatballs, make your own breadcrumbs in the blender.

Could also make meatloaf (depends how you make it tho, mine is mince based), or mince with some kind of tomato sauce and pasta.

Prob the only thing that wont work is lasagne.
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08
Mama-Me View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mama-Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2007 at 9:29am
Rice milk is great for making mash spud so you could easily do the spehards pie and if you use butter just replace it with golden canola. My hubby is dairy so all of our meals are dairy free. The sky is the limit with dairy free food!
peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2007 at 9:31am
how bout good ol spaghetti bolagnese?
hailstones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hailstones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2007 at 11:37am
Chow Mein, Naco/Chilli con carne, Meatballs, Mince skewers - flavour you mince with whatever flavour you like (ie indian spices, mexican etc) mix like you would meatballs (ie abit of egg/flour-or breadcrumbs) and panfry/bake - then you can serve with an appropriate sauce (on the side) ie - salsa for mexican etc.
Thats pretty much all my tired brain can think of but possibilties are endless as as said above you can make all sorts of things that would normally contain dairy but use Rice milk/soya etc.

bookwyrm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bookwyrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2007 at 1:35pm
Add pom poms on top of the shepherds pie instead of the cheese.

I am making shepherds pie tonight... but I can't do without the cheese. It would make me cry.

.Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2007 at 3:54pm
I recommend this one, it's become a fave at our house. Just leave the cheese off the top.

500g lean beef mince
1/2 Onion
2x 420g Baked Beans (I only used one)
1/2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 chilli powder
pinch of oregano
1 heaped tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp beef stock powder or 1 beef stock cube
1 cup macaroni, cooked and drained (I used spirals)
1 cup grated cheese

Preheat the oven to 180c.
Heat a medium-sized saucepan, add the meat and stir until browned. Then add the onion and keep stirring until it softens. Mix in the baked beans, the sauce, spices, oregano and tomato paste and sprinkle in the stock powder. Mix really well, then add the cooked macaroni.
Pour the whole lot into an ovenproof casserole dish and cover with the grated cheese. Heat in the oven until the cheese is melted and turning brown. Serve with salad or veg and garlic bread.

Mr Mellow (16)
Miss Attitude (8)
Destructa Kid (3)

Post Reply Post Reply