FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSleep Sack Ideas Please

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
UpsyDaisy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UpsyDaisy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sleep Sack Ideas Please
    Posted: 01 February 2011 at 8:24pm

I was looking at these today for DS who is moving around so much, he never stays under his covers.

I would like a merino one but they are just so expensive. Merino ones were around $155 + that I saw today.

I am completely unskilled, they don't look that hard to make though.

Who has made one and where did you get pattern and fabric from?

Did it end up being cheaper than buying?

Wondering if I should attempt to make one....
Sponsored Links

newme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2011 at 8:50pm
I just started this thread a week or so ago here

Since then I have found a pattern that I prefer
mccalls pattern

Haven't made it yet, but will let you know how it goes when I get around to it.

Being unskilled, you might struggle with the zip. Do you have anyone to help you?

Merino is pretty cheap on trademe. You could buy the pattern from most fabric shops, or online. It would def be MUCH cheaper to make than to buy.
myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2011 at 9:44pm
That pattern looks really good, much easier than the ones I made Jack when he was littler. I got my merino from Global Fabrics. I just got their merino that was on special ($18/m). From memory I made 2 long sleeved sacks for about $100 and that incl putting a cotton layer over top
Lindsey

newme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2011 at 6:53am
The other option if you don't want to buy a new one, and you think it will be too difficult to sew, is to buy one off TM.
I bought an almost new winter woolbabe sleeping bag for $50.
MuppetsMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MuppetsMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2011 at 4:40pm
I would be interested to know how you with that pattern; it looks like a good one.

I bought one of the sleeping bags that Briscoes now have and it was USELESS - the zip started 'splitting' after only 2 uses and when i took it back i tried 3 others and they all did the same thing, so i assume they are just cheap junk.

Would love to make one as the ones you buy are so expensive, and my wee one is a houdini!
mrsm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2011 at 8:11pm
jules1980 - if you are in auckland then Designer Textiles Factory Shop on Lovegrove Cres in Otara has Merino for $12-$15/m. They have different weights and textures and the colours are blues/black/greys/maroon/olive greens. The rolls are the ends of the runs they do through their main business so are different each time and there is a mix of 100% merino as well as some mixed with other textiles. They also have heaps of other materials - GREAT shop!

PS: its a big shop with lots crammed in, so the merino is to the left of the counters as you walk in the door.
UpsyDaisy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UpsyDaisy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2011 at 2:28pm

Thanks, am not in Auckland but sounds a great shop.

I did do a zip once when I was in form 2 and that was quite a while ago

I have seen some online for about $80 so that might be a safer option for me if am honest think am usually to stuffed by the evening to be bothered fiddling about on a project.

Also duh I completely did not see other thread about sleeping bags hila1!
fire_engine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2011 at 3:23pm
They are so easy. I just traced around a cotton one we had. I used snaps on the shoulders (using a snap thing I bought at Spotlight for about $10). I used two layers of merino from Designer Textiles. All up, was probably about $30. Doesn't look as lovely as the Merino Kids ones, but one hell of a lot cheaper!
Mum to two wee boys
tiptoes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiptoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2011 at 6:20pm
My mum made one for DS by just copying another sleeping bag I had and it worked really well. Farmers have those 50% off days every now and again and so getting one then could be an idea - but not sure what size they go up to.

Good idea about TM too, we need a new one so might have a look on there.
 Post Reply Post Reply