FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedseeking help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: seeking help
    Posted: 16 March 2008 at 10:19pm
Ok, Am in here now cos i am off to the docs tomorrow to try and get referred for some counselling after a bit of a long-running melt down over the last few days that ended in me bawling my eyes out to my sister over the phone this evening. I have called in sick for work cos another night shift with the sleep deprivation thing would just make me worse. I have had anxiety atatcks over being at home alone because when i'm alone the thoughts come back and fears come back and they make me even more upset which brings on the anxiety again. Am fine around others but can't keep being afraid of being alone with myself nad my thoughts.

So after reading the alternative to meds thing - eating better, sleeping more and multi-vits.. do they work? Are they better than meds? I am freaked out about taking anything in the way of meds in case it makes me worse but I just want something to pull me out of this low. I go through this typ eof thing from time to time but am feeling right now that when i have the low moments that they are 100 times worse than when i was at my worst with PND after having Paris. My sister thinks that despite not having baby, that my hormones have been messed up since the m/c.. which i could tend to agree with, she thinks the PND has come back with a vengeance from the lack of dealing with all the things that have happened. I know deep down i definately need some sort of outlet counselling or something cos of all the bollocks that went on last year that i just pushed under the carpet which has come back to bite me so to speak. I think for me it's the grief thing, having all these losses in a short amount of time it has just gotten to me, as long as i dont think about it it's ok, but i can't keep just pushing it under the carpet and not thinking about it, i need to deal with it and get on.

Any help or suggestions would be great. I never thought it would come to this, I feel relieved at the thought of going and seeking help and telling others cos it means it's not a battle i'm fighting alone anymore, but it also scares the hell outta me for the road ahead.
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

Sponsored Links

lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2008 at 6:42am
no idea luv, but bi9g hugs to you!
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2008 at 7:54am
I think you are doing the right thing by going and getting help and counselling!! Thats a huge step!

With alternatives to meds, I think that is very individual. I chat about this with a friend ALL the time. So my view is that meds are great if you have chemical issues going on. If it's purely mental/emotional then they don't help and alternatives and professionals (psychologists/counsellors) are far more likely to help.
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2008 at 8:40am
Thanks Stacey, that's what i think too and am hoping i get referred so i can sort this out. I usually know that these things will pass but have had a few too many really lower-than-low moments in the last few days and i'm glad that i know in myself that this isn't going to pass without help. The thought of it scares me but the thought of not getting this sorted, and feeling like this all the time scares me more.

Shorty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shorty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2008 at 9:40am
I agree with Stacey, this is a huge step you are taking in the right direction.
I have a friend going through counselling now and is doing her wonders to just talk to someone.
Good luck with your appointment today!
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2008 at 3:10pm
Thanks ladies. Have been and will be referring to a counsellor from a number the doc gave me. Have been given some Citalopram to try so here's hoping it does the trick and helps me through while the counselling does its work too.

Thanks you guys for your support.

Shorty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shorty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2008 at 8:57pm
I had Citalopram and it just took the edge off...great :)

Good luck with the counseller!
mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2008 at 9:26pm

Can I ask who you have been referred to?? You can PM me if you want.

I have no idea if the natural stuff works, but I can say that my meds def help me out.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
HippyMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HippyMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2008 at 9:27pm
I don't know if I woud say these things are 'better' but they can certainly help - and counselling is a great first step to take!

I have to say one thing though - if it comes to it, don't feel ashamed about going on medication. It doesn't have to be long term. And my favorite comparison is this - you (generic) wouldn't expect a diabetic not to take insulin would you?

Big hugs, and let us know how you go.
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2008 at 9:33pm
Yeah well that's what i discussed with the doc as all of us girls in my family have problems with this and none have sought help as my mum is still on meds since having me and i'm now 26. He simply said well, you give someone something for asthma and they take it but no-one ever wants to take anything for things like this when it affects your life just as much. I really don't want it to be long term so will see how i go, use them for what they're worth which is helping me cope while i sort out the stupid things that made me feel down in the first place.

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2008 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by lizzle lizzle wrote:

no idea luv, but bi9g hugs to you!

yep same from me here too... i'm sure the girls on the board who have been in the same boat will be able to give you lots of help and everyone else will be there with support...

had to edit realised i was missing words...

Edited by Bizzy

mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2008 at 10:48pm
Thanks Deb. Hope your little lady is being nice to you, she's gorgy

11111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 11111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2008 at 11:34am
Hey chick bug hug's. You doing the right thing getting the help you need hope you find a good consellor.
Deborah Mum to:

Post Reply Post Reply