FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedweight gain question?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Zasha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: weight gain question?
    Posted: 03 January 2010 at 7:30am

Just wondering if someone could help me out with a couple of questions.

On average how much weight should a baby under a month put on a week?

My little one lost 320 grams very quickly after birth, as she refused to feed for the first 30hrs, and had to be force fed with a siringe to start with. She's feeding alright now and filling her nappy regularly, she seems happy, but she still hasn't regained her birth weight yet.

The MW has been checking her every few days and she is gaining weight but not to quite the extent that was expected, my little one has only gained back 210g, and160g of it has been in the last 4 days, she is now 6cm longer than she was a birth (she's 17 days old now) and her head is 1.5cm bigger in diameter does this growth weight seem normal or should I be concerned?

Sponsored Links

Kazzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2010 at 8:00am
my little one did this...and he is now 7mths old and doing great.

he seems to grow in length more than he puts on the weight...and as longs as she is healthy, happy and having lots of wet and dirty nappies, i would try and not stress to much. (although i know that is really hard to do).

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2010 at 8:10am
It sounds fine! Daniel lost about 500g of his birth weight and it took almost a month to gain that back
monikah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monikah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2010 at 9:35am
my baby took 5 weeks or so to get back to brith weight and he is a bruiser now. he looks like a toddler. lol

littlestar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlestar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2010 at 3:41pm
same - my little guy lost heaps after birth and it took 5 weeks to get back to birth weight. We had to start doing EBM topups after each feed for a month and he's now a total chubster. He started slowly, only starting to gain weight on D7 (they wouldn't let him home from hospital until he put on something), then only 100gs a week but by 1 month he was up to 400gs a week. I wouldn't worry - your baby is gaining weight and growing and believe me the MW would tell you if you need to worry. Its good they are keeping a close eye on her progress.
Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2010 at 8:12pm
Morgan lost hardly anything and still took just over 2 weeks to get back to birth weight. With that much gain in length I wouldn't worry about it ... she is definitely growing and it looks like the weights gains are increasing now too.

I think they like them to gain about 150-180g a week - the average is between 100-200g I think, but some gain heaps more some weeks (300g or so), as long as it all averages out and they roughly follow their growth curve its fine.

Edited by Nikki
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)
Tigerish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tigerish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2010 at 11:16pm
We took over three weeks to get back to birth weight and the dr's were worried but after about 8 weeks we started to put on 500g a week and now weigh in the 90%. Its hard not to worry but as long as baby is relatively settled and is having lots of wet nappies you should be fine!

emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2010 at 12:45pm
4-5 weeks for Ava to get back to birthweight and she's been a poor gainer.
Zasha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2010 at 5:31pm

thanks for the advice, I feel a little more relaxed about things now, the MW visited again today and little sasha has finially started to gain weight at a good rate, in fact she's gained 290 grams in the last 4 days and is now heavier than her birth weight , looks like she was just a little slow to start gaining weight but now that she's gaining she's trying to make up for the slow start.

Post Reply Post Reply