FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFatal dangers of cold sores to newborns

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 4:44pm
i also want to say, that I get why our newbies posted and I wasnt offended by that at all.....I just wish I could articulate my thoughts better so they dont get misconrtued all the time. I think the benefit of being "known" on a site like this is people get to know your personality somewhat and can better gauge how you mean something.

I have had a look at the FB site and it is incredibly sad. I cant even begin to imagine what it would be like to lose a newborn. I came close to knowing when my first had to have a lumbar puncture at 3 days old for suspected meningitis but even coming close is not the same ( I imagine).

Yes it is sad that there are so many hoaxes and I hate getting sucked in. I recently got an email (from a lovely OB poster..he he) about a dog that needed a home. I was so taken in by it I even rang up DH to ask if we could have it....only to get an email shortly after apologising for the hoax they had just discovered.

As I have said, it was just a simple question, which got the required answer.
Sponsored Links

JodyR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JodyR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 9:16pm
ETA - posted that before I was quite ready.

Hopes - thanks, yes we were a little bit outspoken I guess, speaking for myself in my first replies I did try to stay polite even while I was trying to make my point but since I am a stranger here it's as difficult for me to make my tone understood as it was for the people we were initially upset by. Thanks for understanding though. It's also hard to reply to everyone who then replied to me as it feels like a conversation going mad, IYSWIM, lots of people to reply to at the same time.

Emiloly - please don't feel guilty, you've done exactly what the group was set up to do, raise awareness of the condition and make sure people are careful and know what to do if they have concerns about their own baby.

Fattartsrock - I take your point too, we have all been members of a bereavement forum for a long time and we have had a lot of fakes on their claiming to have lost babies and it's very upsetting. Many members have devoted time and effort, cried over these 'lost' babies and then found out they never existed. So I honestly understand why people here are being careful and raising questions too but it was because we know how terrible the fakes are and how hurtful it is that we also knew how upset Charlotte felt to be grouped in with them and that's why we decided to post here.

Booboo - yes I understand that at first nobody realised Charlotte had been sent a link to the threads and it must feel a bit like being overheard by the person you were talking about, no offence intended but still a little bit embarrassing to discover you weren't alone and your conversation wasn't private after all. Thanks though for putting things straight about it.

Emiloly - What a terrible friend and an awful thing to do. Thank you though for taking the time to still read Mira's story and check the facts before posting the link, I'm sure everyone here will feel confident of any link you publish from now on.

WRXandJosh - the problem was, as I said to you before, that the person who questioned Mira's story didn't even seem to have read it properly from her first comments about it. I can understand her questioning the whole story as one block, "is this genuine or a fake?" but not then to go on to question the post mortem results as a separate thing and say that lots of infections could have been responsible. Since it was so specific I don't think it's unreasonable to google it even in a busy lifestyle (I have a nine month old climbing on me right now as my laptop is like a magnet to him), as I said lots of responses came up on google within seconds and without even opening them I could see the first one said this virus can be fatal for new babies and that the second one mentioned Mira by name (and on reading it later it was a very upsetting telling of Mira's story in an American newspaper, so again well done Charlotte for being brave enough to tell it and spread awareness to yet another country). I am not picking on anyone but since this is causing your hormones some stress perhaps it's best if I explain that directly to nzpiper as it is her we are discussing and apologise to you for the stress you are feeling and wish you well with the pregnancy.

Summerlambs - thanks and I am sure yours do.

Lizzle - we all came over as newbies from the link to facebook and joined when we saw the comment asking if it was a hoax and the 'joke' about catching herpes. We didn't stop to introduce ourselves (although after someone pointed out it was site protocol I did) or edit profiles but I can assure you we are different people and are Charlottes friends. If you choose to report your concerns to admin I am sure we can all provide enough details to them to prove that. We are concerned friends trying to help a friend whose feelings have been hurt, nothing more sinister than that.

ETA - If it helps to reassure you, I am also Jody R on the BabyandBump forum, you are welcome to go find me there and check me out.

nzpiper - thanks, that does make what you meant a bit clearer. Most viruses and illnesses are a lot more serious for newborns and it's tragic that the doctors didn't know until after Mira died what the virus she had was. That's the reason Charlotte is doing this, if she had thought her cold sore had anything to do with it she could have told the doctors and who knows if things would have turned out differently. Glad we answered the question for you, even in our outspoken way. And if you can find a way to type stuff on the internet that doesn't get misunderstood then you'll be the first in internet history and I want to know your secret because I seem to type with one foot in my mouth on a regular basis.

Edited by JodyR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by nzpiper nzpiper wrote:

I hate to say it...but is it true or one of those hoaxes? I ask because almost EVERYONE has antibodies to the cold sore virus. If it is true, I wouldnt be too concerned because it would have to be INCREDIBLY rare to happen. And it might not have been the herpes simplex virus that is to blame. Any virus may have had that result in a young baby which is why we take sick newborns so seriously.

If it is true then it is incredibly sad...but I think it is also incredibly bad luck and not something to stress about. IYGWIM

JodyR.....I did say that, didnt I? Just re-reading my own post and I am horrified to read it the way it is written. As I said before that is not what I meant....and not what I thought I had written. I apologise for not making it clear. Can I blame baby brain for making a hell of a typo????

Hey, at least with all this debate, more people will be aware of it now
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 11:10pm
nzpiper i dont think there was anything wrong with what you posted... i got it.. you were just inquiring and "talking" out loud. Not insulting or trying to badmouth anyone at all.

?Lolly? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ?Lolly? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by JodyR JodyR wrote:

And if you can find a way to type stuff on the internet that doesn't get misunderstood then you'll be the first in internet history and I want to know your secret because I seem to type with one foot in my mouth on a regular basis.

I have to smile at this as I am cursed with it on a regular basis. Thank god I can click on EDIT!
Captain Chaos (5) & the Trouble Monsters (2!)
JodyR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JodyR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 11:51pm
nzpiper - baby brain is still affecting me nine months after my baby was born so I think it's an excuse that works for everything. And I'm sure a lot more people are now aware of this virus thanks to this debate. And hopefully I've found a new place to come chat with some people who seem very nice so that's good too.

Emiloly - I only wish I had an edit button for real life as well as internet life sometimes.
MrsH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2010 at 7:48am
Originally posted by JodyR JodyR wrote:

Emiloly - I only wish I had an edit button for real life as well as internet life sometimes.

There is - I'm not sure of the technical term but I like to call it "Avoiding that person like the plague"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2010 at 7:51am
MrsH....dont you get that shiver down your spine when you see such a person?

I think the edit button in real life would consist of a great big hole opening up.
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2010 at 8:21am
the edit button needs to be where what you are going to say comes out but isnt heard till you hear it first... and can change it! i would so love one of those.

JodyR yes please do come back and visit us - i think you'll find lots of stuff of interest on here.!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2010 at 8:25am
or maybe it just bleeps over what you are saying.

I second that JodyR...I just read your moving story in the stillbirth section....I just cant believe that someone can go through that and then pick themselves up and keep going...I am truly humbled!! Off to give my boys a huge hug (actually, I'm looking at their sticky jam faces and think I'll do that hug a little later )
littlepips View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlepips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2010 at 11:02am
I have had this forum jog around in my head alot today. I see simply from the amount of times you have posted that you are a pretty tight knit community and we must have seemed like we were jumping in and launching attack. It really wasn't a claws situation, I certianly didn't hunt down the site and decide I could tell you what to do, I followed the link on Chalottes fb after she had commented that she was heartbroken by what she had read.

Emiloly I think it is wonderful that you chose to raise awareness. Very brave of you all to discuss it openly, as I know in my first pregnancy I couldn't have bared to think about the loss of a baby being a reality. You certianly haven't caused an arguement. I do wish that the forum had been made aware that Charlotte was given the link though. As much as you all know each other well and discuss topics openly it may have made a big different to know that Mira's mummy would see all this.

I am also sorry that there have been sickos herr who have hoaxed on the site, and also an army in there defense. Knowing that has thrown a whole other spin on my thoughts as I can totally see why you approach topics with caution. I have had more than enough mothers fake the loss of a baby and almost as bad, too many mother's who believe the actual loss of a baby is their passport to disrespecting everyone else who has endured the same loss. There are indeed too many freaks out there.

I also popped an introduction on the forum, I'm definatedly not JodyR in disguise, I wish I had her conduct as I did come on the the forum, quite angry and in very much Scrappy Dog style 'let me at em' mood.

summerlambs - reading your comment really did bring a breath of fresh air and the reason being this

lizzle - as I said above I now understand how we may have looked defending our lovely Charlotte. I will say this though, lossing my daughter very much changed how I precieve and do things. With all the love and passion I look at my living son with I know I also harbour it's equal in my heart for my daughter. So when I tell her story, it doesn't cross my mind for a minute that it will be disbelieved. Mira's story is very unique, it is baffling something that seems so simple, so trival could take the life of a baby, but it did. Charlotte will absolutely have expected questions about how? and what to do in case of? but I don't think for a minute she expeccted to stumble upon the question is this real. It's very real for her. The wounds of child loss run very deep and in our community of mothers who know that, we are passionate about ensuring that hurt is eased as much as possible. We aren't some exculsive club, believe me nobody would blooming well want to have membership, we just walk the same walk.

I lost my beautiful daughter in childbirth, it came as a complete shock following a fantastic healthy pregnancy. Therewere no complications, it was during early labour, the midwife listened to her heartrate several hours before, it was fine and there had been no indication of stress. All the test, blood results, placenta, cord etc results came back as normal. In the UK 50% of stillbirths are unaccounted for, so many mothers wondering why.   My second pregnancy was far from my text book first, I was stressed, I somehow contracted ecoli, I had a bleed towards the end, my relationship was in meltdown, I was unable to deal with my grief and was terrified about facing labour again. Seth was born by emergancy c-section having gone breech after induction, he arrived having a prolapsed cord with a true knot. All reasoning pointed to my healthy natural pregnancy having the outcome of a beaming baby. Instead I got to spend the most precious few hours of my life with my daughter knowing I would never see that sweet face again. Had Seth not gone breech I can't stomach to think of the outcome. But he did, he is with me and I often can't believe just how bless I am....even if he does create 10 times more work for mummy! Birth and life are full of strange happenings, some very strange but when they are your truth, when your way of loving your child is to use their story to raise awareness yes you are more open to comments and there will be many who may disbelieve but Charlotte seen these comments by invitation. My goodness you are at the other end of the world I couldn't have hunted down this site if I tried.

You are very lucky to have such a supportive online community and I don't mean to carry on injecting negativity on your forum but I do hope that you feel a little less invaded and realise that amongst the crazy strangers and defensive friends out there, we simple needed to pop in and say hey, it hurts like hell this side of the fence, please be a little cautious....Crossed wires are a terrible thing, hope they seem a little straighter, take care.

Alison x

p.s. another who can't live without the edit button, my spelling says it all....

Edited by littlepips
babyg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babyg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2010 at 10:32pm
Ok, so I actually have a question about the topic at hand ....

So I seem to be a great carrier of the coldsore virus, I get them all the time.

So does that mean that my babies will automatically be immune for me having carried them? Or would I need to pass the immunity through my BM antibodies?

Sorry, I'm just not a googler this late at night - hopefully someone here can answer my question.

Edited by babyg
Ev, Mum to:
Carys Ruby - 4 October 2007
Spencer James - 2 July 2010
caitlynsmygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2010 at 1:04am
I have just read this thread, I won't say much about what NZpiper posted, i've had the privilege of being on this forum with her for awhile and I know what a kind , caring person she is ,so I know her comment was in no way meant to offend .

The only thing I want to say about it, is how very very sorry I am that a little baby died and I send Charlotte and her husband my deepest of sympathies .
I could not imagine losing my children , I think people that go through the loss of a child and still get up and face the day , are the bravest people in the world , and my heart goes out to you .
From a mother to a mother , I am so sorry for your loss .

blondy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2010 at 8:24am
babyg - you will probably pass your antibodies through placenta or BM to your baby, but even antibodies against HSV don't mean your baby will be immune to the virus. Chances are that you will also pass the virus along sometime (most likely in the first 5 years) to your baby. What the antibodies mean is that if your baby does get the virus, the infection will be much less severe, and possibly with no symptoms at all. I'm not sure about whether the HSV-1 antibodies are passed mostly via placenta or BM, but in any case it will take a few weeks for your baby's immune system to mature enough to be able to adequately deal with any infection.

My Mum and Dad both had coldsores frequently, and although niether my sister nor I have ever had a coldsore, chances are that we both carry the virus.
babyg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babyg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2010 at 10:49pm
Thanks, I'll just keep it in mind for my babies too then.
Ev, Mum to:
Carys Ruby - 4 October 2007
Spencer James - 2 July 2010
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123