FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBed Time

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Gwyn_n_Pete View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gwyn_n_Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bed Time
    Posted: 02 September 2005 at 10:09am
I have a confession to make! Grace still won't go to sleep by herself! She has to have a bottle in order to go to sleep and although it's not a huge deal atm, I want to be able to get her out of the habbit of not going to sleep by herself now, to avoid having a toddler that screams and crys and climbs out of her cot. I know I'm not the only one to ever do this with my first (LOL) so has anyone got any tips?! We've tryed putting her down and just letting her cry herself to sleep, but she has got a much stronger will than Pete and I lol, and cryed for about an hour and a half before we went in and she'd got herself so worked up she didn't sleep til about 4 in the morning.
Gwyn
www.babiesonline.com/babies/g/gracejenkins
Sponsored Links

Kiwimeesh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiwimeesh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2005 at 10:44am
Hi,

Why do you think that her having a bottle at bed time will end up causing a problem when she is older? I'm sure she will eventually grow out of it in her own time. My baby has a boob before he goes to bed. Granted he doesn't take it to bed with him although he probably wishes he could (he is 8 months old). My sister's kids had bottles for ages when going to bed. They both grew out of it and it never really caused and issue.

Sorry probably not much help to you. Maybe you could explain what you're worried about a little more?

Good luck
m

mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2005 at 11:10am
a bottle at bedtime is fine as long as baby isn't actually put to bed with it... if that's what you are talking about, then try gradually moving her out of her room while she's having a bottle.. ie, one night sit on a chair next to bed, next move the chair further.. etc until evertually you are in the lounge. we made it a rule from the start no bottles in bed, and up until she stopped having bottles about 2 months ago, paris would have a bath, then have a bottle, lying on her cushion on the floor, then off to bed. now she has moved on to having some warm milk in a straw cup, while one of us reads a story.

It's not too late, and yep it sucks to let them cry, but there's nothing stopping you from going in, giving her a cuddle, resettling her and trying again...in fact i think that works better than just leaving them for hours to cry... cos they just get really upset and scared. sometimes when paris is having a bad night (not too often now, but had a fair share when she was Grace's age) we resettled her a few times a night, and each time, we'd remind her that we will come and check in a few minutes.. sometimes a little reassurance that you are coming back is enough to help them sleep.

Edited by mum2paris
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

toniellis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toniellis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2005 at 4:15pm
Hi there. I used to bf my son to sleep then put him in his cot but I got so much grief about it that I had to "wean" him off this habit. Also sometimes he wouldn't go to bed until 11pm!
We started off with letting him cry but he would just stand up in his cot & scream & shake his bars (gosh this makes me sound like an awful mother!) so we tried to get him partially asleep before putting him in his cot. I started wrapping him again so it kind of felt like he was still being snuggled.
The main thing I found was just observing his tired signs and making sure he was fed & changed as soon as I saw them.
Now he gets put to bed while still awake at 8pm (earlier if possible!) he grizzles for about 5 - 10 minutes then passes out til morning. I usually check up on him about 8.30pm to make sure all his blankets are in place.
Mum to Alex (11), Blaire (10) & Erika (8) and Damien (6)

Successful HWB VBA2Cs!
Soon to be surrogate
AlyAyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlyAyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2005 at 5:04pm
I havent used it but apparently phenagren (sp) works great over 3 or 4 nights to get them out of the habit.

Jayde 25/12/04

Alyssa 08/04/03

http://Alyayde.bebo.com
Gwyn_n_Pete View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gwyn_n_Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2005 at 5:34pm
I should have been a bit more specific, she doesn't sleep unless she's having a bottle, if she had her bottle then we put her down in her cot to sleep it would be fine, I'm just a little concerned she's gunna end up like one of those nasty little 3 year olds on T.V who won't just go to sleep in their beds, they have to have mummy or daddy there.
Thanks for the tip toniellis, even when she is so tired she can hardly keep her eyes she'll still cry and cry until we go to see her.
I'll have to try the phenagren thing, thanks angelnz, what is it though and where would I get it LOL

Edited by Gwyn_n_Pete
Gwyn
www.babiesonline.com/babies/g/gracejenkins
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2005 at 11:17pm
Phenargan is an antihistamine that makes kids drowsy, you can get it from the chemist. Be warned tho that it can have the opposite effect - I tried it on Maya when we flew to London last year to help settle her on the plane and instead of making her drowsy it sent her bouncing off the walls for 24 hours straight. Needless to say it was a veeeery long flight!

Because Maya had to be fed hourly when she was sick, after she was better we had heaps of trouble resettling her into sleeping thru the night. In the end I basically just perservered with the controlled crying thing, the first night she screamed for over 2 hours, but by the third night she was over it and slept thru. It was really hard listening to her cry, I ended up ringing Plunketline and they kept me on the line till she finally went to sleep which was great because I was on my own at home and didn't have any other support.

Good luck with everything!
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2005 at 2:11pm
Phenergan's also actually not for children under 2 years, if you read the label..... unless specifically prescribed for medical reasons... the safety of it's use for children under 2 hasn't yet been proven. scary since so many people use it to knock their kids out. (it's tempting i know!!!)

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2005 at 7:34pm
Yep, I asked the pharmacist about that as Maya was only 18 mths and he was so blase about it that I checked with my doc. She said there haven't been any adverse reactions in studies, but there haven't been that many done so they don't have much reliable info to go on. But it is prescribed quite a lot for kids with allergies even as young as 9-10 mths. I avoided it because of the possible drowsiness factor, we used Zyrtec for Maya's allergies which is a new generation antihistamine and safer for under-2's.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2005 at 9:04pm
mmm have used zyrtec myself - its wonderful.   hows this for funny - i am allergic to Zadine...I had an allergic reastion to an antihistamine.... it cracks me up.

nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2005 at 11:59am
Gwyn, have you tried using a safeT sleep???
I didn't really have a huge problem with the whole night time sleeping thing as Hannah usually goes to sleep while breastfeeding or when I wrap her up and put her in her bed. But during day sleeps she would stand up in her cot and scream and scream and scream, working herself into a huge state.
Managed to track down the safeT sleep that I had somewhere in the back of the cupboard and found that if Han couldn't stand up in her cot then she fell asleep a whole lot quicker. Still have some crying time but it generally only lasts 10 minutes before she falls asleep.

Might work? I suppose it was good for Hannah because she has always been wrapped up while sleeping. Depending if Gracie likes being wrapped or not it might be worth a try?
 Post Reply Post Reply