FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked"viral" throat/ear infection

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
KH25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KH25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "viral" throat/ear infection
    Posted: 06 September 2007 at 4:17pm
I have seen our new gp a few times since moving 6 months ago and I get the impression she is one of those gp's whose answer always seems to be that its "viral" and antibiotics won't help. I saw another gp a couple of months ago and he prescribed anti b's straight away when Ash had a red ear. Anyway she has yet another cold and I took her to the doc on Tuesday as she woke with gunky eyes. She has given me some ointment for that but also looked in her ears and throat and said they are red/infected but "viral" so no drugs. So she has been getting worse and this afternoon after her sleep has a temp of 38. So when will they prescribe antibiotics? Should I take her back tomorrow if she is no better? I did ring in the slim hope they had a cancellation this arvo but they are fully booked.
Kelly, mum to DD, 19Jun06 (26wks 1lb15oz) DS1, 24Oct10 (32wks 4lb11oz) and DS2, 31Dec11 (32wks, 4lb11)
Sponsored Links

Brenna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brenna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2007 at 6:07pm
Poor Ashleigh! Maybe try another doc? Or just tell them you want some meds for her... sometimes I don't think GP's listen to a mums instinct as much as they should! I have also been told that if you're worried about your sick baby then the docs need to see them on that day?

Hope she gets better soon!! Brenna wants to play! (and her mummy wants to have a friend)
My beautiful 2 girls...nearly 4 and 13 months
KH25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KH25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2007 at 7:41pm
I know, its been like two whole weeks since we caught up!!

I think I will take her back to the doc tomorrow as her eyes aren't really clearing either.
Kelly, mum to DD, 19Jun06 (26wks 1lb15oz) DS1, 24Oct10 (32wks 4lb11oz) and DS2, 31Dec11 (32wks, 4lb11)
Brenna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brenna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2007 at 7:43pm
Eek! 2 weeks?? How have we survived?
My beautiful 2 girls...nearly 4 and 13 months
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2007 at 7:53pm
My doc told me that for viral things, studies show that 6 months down the track it makes no difference whether children have had ABs or not. So he prescribes TLC and perhaps some Pamol for just viral things; and ABs for ear infections only if they don't seem to be clearing. Otherwise he says it's better for the body to work on it's own, contrary to previous medical beliefs. We have had one lot of Ibuprofen (pain and inflammation) for ear infection too.

If you're going back tomorrow, it wouldn't hurt to ask the Doctor why/why not?
shaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2007 at 8:06pm

My little one has had a bad ear (lots of horrid gunk etc) for a while, first the DR gave drops which seemed to work then it came back again just as bad so she took a swab, and prescribed antibiotics. It turned out she had a strep infection which luckily the antibiotic's seem to have cleared up. We just went back today to check again after she finished then. If you are still worried ask the Dr to take a swab to make sure.
Rachael21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachael21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2007 at 8:25pm
Only if its bacterial will abs clear it up anyway. Maybe you could ask for a swab to be taken to make sure it is viral.
TysMummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TysMummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2007 at 8:15am
antibs dont kill virus's. Speaking from experience and i hope this doesnt scare you cause its not meant too but they said that about my 3 month old boy we took him 2 the hospital 3 times in a week and each time they sent us home with 'its a virus' but i knew he was getting worse the 3rd time we rushed him over and i stood in emergency and let fly (we got turned away night before) he was so severly dehydrated that they had to tube him (its not that he wasnt drinking just that he was bringing it back up) he also had to be put on oxygen.........basically i new my baby but because it was my first they thought i was overreacting. I pushed them to do tests all which were more painful for me to watch but i know that my mind would be at ease when it came back negative. I think the reason i did this was cause im from a nursing back ground, my doc was good however as he is the one that kept sending us back. 38 temp to my is really bad in my books as Ty's was only 37.5 does your doc know that the temp is that high?
 Post Reply Post Reply