FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFormula feeding - what do I need?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Blankney94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blankney94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2009 at 11:12am

Hi Dawn - sorry to hear they weren't keeping in mind future things with your prescriptions. 

We like the Avent range in this house and everything is interchangeable - ie you can add handles and sippy spouts to the bottles later on. 

We have gotten by on three small bottles (150ml) and two large ones (260ml).  Once baby gets older though you will find you need more of the big bottles.  You will need about four No 1 teats.  Bottle sealing caps are also a good idea, as is a good bottle brush (esp for baby bottles).  Oh and sterilisters as mentioned previously.

We use the Heinz Nuture formula.  It's on special regularly at Pak n Save.  We haven't had any problems with any formulas.

Hoping all goes well for you and the birth of your lovely bubby! 

Sponsored Links

shadowfeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadowfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2009 at 7:45pm

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your advice, was in a bit of a mess the other day. Unfortunately I can't see them changing this prescription anytime soon without demanding another doctor.

I've grabbed a tin of S26 since that seems to suit most babies, a bottle brush, have 3 loaned bottles and bought one more, and a couple spare sachets of formula. That should get us through for long enough to see what she likes. Will definitely be getting more of the other stuff that makes formula feeding easier later on.

Now just to wash everything and repack the babies hospital bag

Blankney94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blankney94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2009 at 1:06pm

Be sure to let the nurses know of your "bottle is required" situation at the hospital, so that they are supportive.   (It's not like you had a choice).

ColleenS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColleenS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2009 at 5:06pm
What I have is:
6 x large bottles (to about 250ml) and teats for newborn (make the bottles different brands, so they don't get a preference for teat) - I have tommee tippee, avent and evenflo
1 x microwave steraliser (this is awesome, I don't fluff around with tablets - just 7 minutes in the microwave) (from farmers)
1 x bottle brush (from supermarket)
formula - I use S26 Gold top (from supermarket)
1 x formula dispenser container (or with the S26, you can buy premix or individual travel powder) - a must for on the go, or out and about.
a large jug or glass (to put bottle and hot water into to warm the formula once mixed)

Everymorning, I wash the bottles (in sink with normal washing detergent and bottle brush), then rinse them out and put in the microwave steraliser. I then fill the jug with clean new water from the tap and boil the jug.
After the jug has cooled somewhat, I prefill the bottles to the mark they suggest and leave them on the bench etc (not the fridge). Each time I make a bottle, I add the powder and mix, then run the hot water into the glass/jug and warm the bottle by placing in the glass/jug.
Each day the bottles should be steralised, i think until they are 3 months old.

I hope this helps!
Ninzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ninzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2009 at 12:54am
Hi there - congratulations on your (soon to be) new arrival . You have lots of advise here, but i really wanted to write to you as last year I was in a very similar situation.

My son is 1 on Sunday and I too had to change my plans because of medication issues :-( I did get to breast feed for about a week, but it was a big shock when i suddenly had to change my mindset and also figure out what to do at a tiring time. So although i completely understand how disappointed you must feel it is great you are able to get your head around it now and not have people rush to the chemist late on a weekend!

I don't know about you but I felt really prepared to breatsfeed and had found out all i could do before hand . However I found it very difficult to find info on bottle feeding my little bubba. So after nearly a year this is what I know:

Firstly it is really important to understand that formula is made essentially of protien (milk) and there are2 parts to this- whey and casien (kind of like curds and whey in little miss muffet!) The whey is more easily digested and the casien takes longer. The interesting thing is that breast milk is whey ddominant, some formulas may seem cheeper but are casien dominant. The argument being that because they take longer to digest , they keep baby fuller. My belief is this is not what their little tummies are meant to have, and my 9lb boy was more than fine!. It is especially important under 6mths.We used Nutricia Karicare (best price at pack'n'save)
For eg. the follow-on formula (6mth +) I use is whey 52% casien 40% , where as S26 only has 20% whey and 80% casien.

I only learned this at the last min and only through my own investgation.

So honestly i would start with that brand and buy one tin first because although you hope you wont have to go down the road of allergies etc, it is best not to tempt fate and stock up too early ;-)

So much more I would like to tell you but must get to bed.

Would be happy to talk on phone too if you would like.

Best of luck
xxx
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12