FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedQuestions for the experts??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rachael21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachael21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Questions for the experts??
    Posted: 10 November 2010 at 8:45pm
I have a few questions and was hoping someone in here can answer them!
Firstly I read on here I think that you shouldn't do resistance training every day, does anyone know why you shouldn't? I have a wee circuit I do every day but about half of it is resisitance training. Is that okay or is it better to do the full half and hour of running every second day?
Secondly realistically how long does it take to see change and how often do you weigh/measure yourself? I'm not really that concerned about 'losing weight' it's more losing the flab and replacing it with muscle hopefully.

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2010 at 9:35am
I weigh and measure every week at the same time. First thing in the morning before breakfast etc so that I don't have different meals influencing the results. I see change every week if I've been good.

I'm not 100% on the resistance training. I think its something to do with giving the muscles a chance to recover. When I do full on resistance training I just do like upper body one day and lower body the next and abs every day. But when I was preg I was doing a weights routine pretty much every day and my muscles were fine. But if you want a proper answer, ask Julia! lol
lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2010 at 9:39am
Hiya,

Im not going to say im an "expert" but Im qualified, so I will have a go at answering your queries.

In regards to resistance training.

Muscle is broken down when you train and the theory is that you need rest to make it heal and grow stronger and bigger (you will get stronger before any visual changes happen in the muscle).

So you could technically do upper body one day and lower body the next giving your muscles a break.

However with circuit training, your not really doing enough to cause any real damage, so you are probably safe enough doing it every day.

Your visual changes will vary depending on what you look like to start with, how often you train and what you eat, but they can happen quite quickly!

I personally do my measures each week (same day, same time).

Hope that helps a wee bit.
Mummy to Issy (3) and Elias (18 months)

I did it .. 41 kgs gone! From flab to fab in under a year LFs weight blog
Rachael21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachael21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2010 at 11:38am
Thanks that totally makes sense about muscle growth. I don't really do that much but maybe I might mix it up so it's not everything every day.

Sweet once a week it is.

Thanks
Kimnthekids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimnthekids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2010 at 7:56pm
I have a question as well - recently at work we started our own little biggest loser, and week 1 went amazingly well for us all (everyone lost between 1 and 4kgs) Week 2, we're all still on track, and yet 90% of us have gained (not much - between 200g and 1kg) but its still disheartening.

Is there a reason why this is happening? What can we all do as a team to get results happening for week 3?
 Post Reply Post Reply