FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockednewly single parent

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Flutterby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flutterby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: newly single parent
    Posted: 21 July 2010 at 3:34pm
Well it appears that DP and I are no longer together.

So what do I do now? Have a toddler and one on the way, no job, no money, no home and all my stuff and my cat are 5hrs drive away.

I am at my mums in West Auckland at the moment but can't stay here for long as her partner and I don't get on much, plus I need my own space. And I am sure mum will sort out how to get my things up here.
Sponsored Links

happymumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2010 at 3:54pm

I'm really sorry to hear that you're in this situation.  Even if it is something you know is for the best the early days can be tough because it is so unknown.  It does get better though I promise!

First port of call is definitely WINZ.  Call them today if you can because they will log your call and backdate any payments to today.  Also get in touch with IRD re child support asap as they do not back date so you need to get in straight away - there is also a wait for child support money (which I found out the hard way!) as they only pay out on the 7th of each month.

Those are the first things to do.  Next, gather your friends around you - you will discover support in the most amazing of places.  And tell us what else you need.  Unfortunately I'm in Wgtn so not necessarily much help to you but if there are things you need then tell us on here because you never know what help is around.

High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2010 at 4:42pm
Oh sorry to hear of your situation!!

Definitely call WINZ and apply for everything you can!

I don't know of your situation with your mum, but she may ask her partner to pull his head in because atm you need all the support you can get imo.
Flutterby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flutterby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2010 at 5:49pm
Lil_Nic he is ok most of the time just is very paricular about things. He is an only child and english so not used to having toddlers around that get into things so quickly.

Will give WINZ a call tomorrow. I very much doubt that DP will be able to pay child support regurlary as he has a lot of trouble getting paid at the moment. But then since he doesn't have us holding him back he may get a job somewhere else.
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2010 at 7:21pm
I wish you all the best!
julz85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julz85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2010 at 9:37pm

didnt want to read and run

I hope you get things sorted soon hun , doesnt sound like your in a very nice situation at the moment . big hugs. definatly go to winz , apply for DPB , ACCOM supplement , Temp additional support , and see if you can get some food or clothing grants if you are in a bad financial situation .

Natalie_G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Natalie_G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2010 at 10:00pm

DH and I separated this year aswell, I was in full time employment but gave it up as I needed time to get use to the idea of being alone it hit me really hard I was crying everyday at work. it was hard leaving after nearly 7 years working for them.

I am now on the DPB and living at my dads for now. But ill hopefully be moving out in the next few weeks so Arianne and I can be alone and get use to being alone.

I also decided to follow my heart and enrolled to university to try Midwifery (the on call part of the study is the hard part) I also enrolled for Nursing as my second option. it is going to be the toughest challenge of my life and I am determined to do it to provide my daughter with everything.

Hang in there hun. I hope it all goes well.
escadachic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote escadachic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2010 at 1:25pm
I agree with what the others said, about getting finances sorted. And it's great your Mum has opened her home to you. Pity her partner isn't so keen.

All I can say is, have some close friends near you, once you do move. As you really do need people who care about you close by. Even if it is just to listen. If your friends don't live close by, maybe ask your m.w if there is any groups or supports you can connect with, maybe with people in your situation.

Btassh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Btassh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2010 at 11:06pm
codys mum - I am in west auckland too!!
If you ever need to get out of the house, or want to chat give me a message, can give you my cell too we could go for a coffee or even a walk

I'm free most days
nathansmummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathansmummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2010 at 9:13pm
Btassh - a few of us are in West Auckland and I am newly single too. I would love to catch up!!! Please PM me or send me a message in the "Meeting up" thread please
 Post Reply Post Reply