FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSafest stuffing for home-made toys

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Safest stuffing for home-made toys
    Posted: 16 January 2011 at 5:04pm
Sorry, i'm sure this has been asked before but i couldnt find anything using the search button...

I've been knitting simple little baby toys to kill my boredom and i need to stuff them - can anyone recommend something safe? I am thinking of cutting open a cusion but is that synthetic cotton wool stuff ok to use? figure the toys will be spending a bit of time in a baby mouth and will probably be washed a bit as well, considering they're knitted.

The only other thing i can think of are polystyrene beads which are out, obviously. But i welcome any other suggestions before i go around stabbing pillows!
Sponsored Links

MyLilSquishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyLilSquishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2011 at 5:30pm
firstly I would line the toy (if you havent already) can upcycle an old cheesecloth skirt/top or a muslin cloth or something - more free to move with the toy instead of holding its own shape

then I weight the feet/limbs/bum with poly pellets (spotlight had them for cheapish) - they are used to weight childrens toys and shelf dolls.

then i stuff with hobby fill. (spotlight)

also when/if you do the poly pellets - put them in their own little muslin/cheesecloth bag so they dont spread all through the toy... defeats the purpose lol.

HTH!
Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2011 at 5:57pm
Aww brilliant!! I was wondering how to solve the problem of little fibres poking through the knit. Thanks heaps
mummyofprinces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummyofprinces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2011 at 8:27am
helped me too!

mcshort View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcshort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2011 at 9:21pm
I use good ol' Spotlight hobby fill, but was wondering about using a natural stuffing like cotton or wool... has anyone else tried these?
Mum to two very active boys, born October 2008 and December 2010. Getting excited about becoming a Childbirth Educator, and LOVIN being a birth support to amazing and courageous women!
 Post Reply Post Reply