FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMums supporting each other

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
JacquiDuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacquiDuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2013 at 2:50pm
Heya!
Minny, we tried a nipple shield, but Marty actually does better latching straight on.  He's been too tired to suck much since yesterday afternoon, so have just been doing gravity feeds - he is completely alert and awake at different times to his feeds.  

Yeah, the thought of other people being around Marty freaks me out - random people coming too close to our bubs just isn't on!  Even family do completely the wrong thing sometimes, when they just don't think (like my MIL completely over stimulating Marty the other day, waving his arms around, briskly rubbing his foot and tummy - needless to say he was completely wound up, spilt his feed, had a sky-high heart rate and was crotchety for the rest of the day) - I was hoping Hubby would say something to her for me (though it would be nicer coming from him), but looks like it will be all up to me next time to intervene adn explain to a woman whos raised 4 kids how to handle and not handle Marty - she is NOT going to take it well, but thems the breaks huh!

Marty had a massive poonami today while I was cuddling him - you can only laugh!

Hope you're all well
xxx
Sponsored Links

Red Rose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Rose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2013 at 11:29pm
Removed

Edited by Red Rose - 18 June 2013 at 6:14pm
ginger22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ginger22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2013 at 4:06pm
haha red rose we only have a few key newborn pieces that fit too...prem is still definitely the 'better' size on our boy. we are getting there though!

can I as why the OB confirmed any potential baby would come early? It is something we have wondered about, but told we would likely be ok. I was just wondering what their reasoning might be...as long as that is not too personal!!

Go us protecting out little ones from over zealous people, whether it is about interactions, exposure, outings, whatever. We have all worked really hard to get out little people to where they are, JD, Minny, you guys even harder than I have had too, and you have every right to stand up for them.

One thing I think about is yes, others have had babies, and yes, others may have even had prem babies. But no one has had YOUR / our baby, so has no right to tell you how to, or judge parenting. We have a right to choose what we want for our little people, and parent how we want
Minny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Minny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2013 at 9:23pm
Haha... Am completely paranoid here about faces too close to my boy now. Today I had to take Isaac with me and went to baby city. I stupidly forgot the muslin wrap to place over the capsule and within two minutes of being in the store a woman had commented on how small my boy was and then stood idly by as her daughter ran up to me and practically stuck her nose right against Isaac's! I pulled the capsule away and tried to head around the corner. Now tonight he has been grizzly and I have been constantly taking his temp as I am freaking out! Needless to say I bought more muslin wraps right there and then. Is a shame that I have to hide my baby when I'm out!

Although TBH I think he's just growing as he only wants to feed. He fed for almost an hour and a half off and on, he was packing the biggest tanty at one point . Now I have no idea when he will wake up as instead of feeding at 5pm, he fed at 5pm, and then from 6pm to almost 7pm. I am supposed to wake him every three hours for a feed but am inclined to leave him to wake naturally this time so he can grow from all the feeding he's just done!

I was told it is possible for me to have the same issue with any subsequent pregnancies but since talking to my MW she has said I can take vitamin C and asprin which should help nd I will have more regular scans. It's still a risk that we would seriously have to consider before trying to get PG again.

Code snippet: PseudoHTML, UBBCode™ and BBCode. Used on most forums.

Red Rose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Rose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2013 at 9:51pm
Removed

ginger22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginger22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2013 at 3:30am
Small child looking in push chair = ok
Small child reaching in and stroking my sleeping baby's face = not ok...especially repeatedly because it made him wriggle! can't not believe it's mum did not say anything! It was blatantly old enough to know not to disturb a sleeping baby! Laughed it off saying along the lines of 'wake my baby up and I will be calling you 2am when he screams' but seriously!

My partner was laughing when we walked away as he knew I was freaking out!

Rough time here. Upset little man and not sure why. Just concerned it is impacting on his growing and weight gain :(
ginger22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginger22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2013 at 8:54pm
Keep on being asked if baby smiles...he will smile when he smiles!
Red Rose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Rose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2013 at 11:52pm
Removed

ginger22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginger22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2013 at 12:44am
Lol. Clearly we are in the same boat!

I love love love the wind smiles, so really am hanging out for that 'real' one. But, it will come when it will come. Hopefully soon, but the last thing we all need is pressure
Minny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Minny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2013 at 8:48pm
Hi ladies,

Been MIA for a while, just sidetracked with having my boy home and trying to settle into some sort of routine. Not easy as he changes his sleeping and awake pattern daily so it's hard to keep up. Can't believe we are just about to be full term. It has clearly shown this week as he has established more awake time in the morning so I've finally been able to get out the lovely play mat I was given. He only stays on there a couple of minutes but I love it as it feels so normal.

I am having quite a few problems latching him on. He cries and fusses so much that it takes me sometimes 10 minutes just to get him on. Once he's on he's fine but it is getting quite demoralising to have the same battle every three hours day after day. It seems he can't quite work out where his tongue goes so its trial and error until we get it right. He does the same when I give him a bottle. I have to persevere until we get the tongue down. Any tips?

Yesterday Isaac was babysat for the first time and it felt really strange. I went to get my hair cut and coloured and DP's sister watched him for me. He readily takes breast milk in the bottle so feeding wasn't an issue, and to be honest it was quite nice to have a little time out. She text me not too long after I left to say he had been fed and changed and was fast asleep. I'm quite happy that I could leave him with family for short periods if I needed to now rather than drag him out to the shops and expose him to people.

ginger22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginger22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2013 at 10:23am
How lovely to have that babysitting time Minny, and especially with such a good baby sitter. Good on you for getting out!

Sorry but no advice for latching...I have to wait for 'big mouth' and sometimes tap my finger on babe's chin to prompt him, but we still mess up from time to time.

Had family here for the weekend, not staying with us, but wanting to visit a lot to see our babe. They were so so lovely and caring, but wee man got a little over stimulated being passed around, and while he completely chilled the minute I took him, would have been nice for him not to have got worked up in the first place. Part and party of new baby and visitors! I did bust out 'because he is prem he...insert special prem feature here...' and they seemed to understand and respect his needs.

Love my little man
Minny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Minny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2013 at 4:45pm
That's great peppermint. I love it when pooeple want to see baby but fully respect that he is extra special. It so so hard not to let them get passed around isn't it!

I have decided to be super strict with the feeding every three hours as latching seems to be worse when he is tired or really hungry, so I have to find the balance. Finding that today is not easy as the little ratbag was awake from 4:30am right through to 9:00am! He's super knackered now!

We have finally made it to 40 weeks. It should have been my due date today. To be honest I do get a bit of a kick out of people asking me how old he is, and then watching the stunned expression when I say he's almost 10 weeks! So totally not what they expect and it does make me giggle. We've had a busy few days where we have been out and about and it has been lovely to do things as a family. Of course I am still super careful of exposing him to people.

Have to agree though peppermint - I love my little man too! He's starting to show some personality and plenty of the feistiness they said he had the day he was born,

ginger22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginger22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2013 at 7:35am
Yeah Minny we are still on three hourly feeds, and I am finding that be feeds about three times or so each feed. I am going to check with plunket nurse that this is ok, but I think it is just because he gets so tired feeding, he needs 'little and often'. Would be lovely to have longer stretches between feeds, particularly at night, but it is what it is.

Can't wait for the next weigh in to see how he is going.
JacquiDuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacquiDuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2013 at 8:50pm
Hi ladies!  Sorry I've been MIA for so long, but it was a bit hard when everyone else had their babies home but me.  But Marty came home today!!!!  We finally have our baby =-)  He has to go back to Wellington next week overnight to get his hernia fixed, but apart from that he's all ours!  It all happened very quickly today, I came back after expressing to the wonderful news, and we were out of there less then 2 hrs later!  A lot to take in...

Anyway, hope alls well,
xxx
ginger22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginger22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2013 at 10:23pm
Yay Jacqui, Mr Jacqui, and Marty.

You have done so fricking well! Enjoy :)
Red Rose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Rose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2013 at 7:56pm
Removed

Edited by Red Rose - 18 June 2013 at 6:19pm
Minny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Minny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2013 at 8:28am
Hey ladies,

How are you all doing? Hope all the bubbas are all settled, now that we are all finally home!

I've had an up and down time with Isaac, but the past two nights he has slept for a six journey stretch and has been so much more settled during the day. He has even gone back to being able to settle himself which is awesome. Of course it is only the second day and babies have their own agenda so it may all change but hoping for at least a few more days of my lovely settled baby back. He will be 12 weeks old next Monday. Really don't know where the time has gone!

Are any of you planning, or already using reusable nappies? I got some "green beginnings" nappies from baby factory and am pretty happy with them. They fit from 2kg and really do fit little bottoms quite well! I would recommend giving them a try.

ginger22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginger22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2013 at 3:51pm
Been a bit quiet on here mums...how are we all??

Ups and downs here. Still finding it hard working out whether my wee babe is is birth age, or his actual age...just try and go with the flow and let him be him.

Hope all is well
Minny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Minny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2013 at 10:23pm
Hey pepermint, I have the same problem.

My boy is having very long awake times lately. I am amazed at his staying power really. Today he was up from 5am right through to 11am. I am grateful though that while he is awake he is happy and contented and not screaming. He's not too keen on tummy time, but seems to love his playmat!

The nurse from the NICU says he should still be sleeping heaps and that I should aim for a turn around time of wake, feed, change and back to sleep within an hour. Great in theory but really doesn't happen.

Despite being awake so much he is growing like a mushroom. He's 6lbs 3oz now! We totally rocking prem size clothes.

I love how his little personality is coming out now. He is smiling heaps and today we even got a ever so small giggle. The nurse says its too early for him to be doing that, but I think it's one of those in between things as there's been witnesses to the giggle so am not imagining it!

Hope you are all doing well!

Gingerbear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gingerbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2014 at 6:44pm
Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum but hoping to find other mums going through similar things. I'm 29weeks pregnant but have a high chance of delivering early. Had a stitch put in at 19 weeks due to a short cervix.Now off work not allowed to do very much! Every day is another milestone. Just wondering if there is anyone else with similar circumstances? Hoping I'm posting in the right forum so sorry if I'm not :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456