FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAttachment Disorder

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rexy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Attachment Disorder
    Posted: 09 May 2013 at 7:42pm
Hi everyone,

I am step mum to a boy with attachment disorder and am wondering if there are other parents going through the same thing and would be interested in starting a support thread for one another.

Sponsored Links

sunnyhoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunnyhoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2013 at 4:53pm
Hi there, my daughter is 5 and has attachment disorder.
I would love to have some others to chat to who understand too :)
Mum to:
Joy Emily 1.05am 27/09/07 7lb 3oz
Austin Paul 12.47pm 18/04/10 10lb 8oz
Rexy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2013 at 1:46pm
Yay, I was beginning to think we were the only ones!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunnyhoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2013 at 5:55pm
Definitely not the only ones Rexy :)

Funny, I have not been on the forum for a few years. I was having a squizz in a bored moment and saw your post.

No-one seems to understand attachment disorder, it seems to be a rare problem in our circles. So it's nice to have someone else 'out there' :)

Have you been in touch with Parent to Parent? They arranged a contact from someone who has teens with attachment disorder and while it was only one phone call it was helpful to ask a few questions from someone who had been doing it a long time.

How did you guys come upon a diagnosis?
Mum to:
Rexy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2013 at 9:22pm
It is definitely a 'rare' type of condition here, I belong to a group on facebook for parents of attachment kids and there is so much being done in the USA, yet so little is done here.
I felt something wasn't right socially with my SS, with severe tantrums and violence, and cognition didnt seem quite right. I pushed for a referral to the child development unit at the b4 school check and he was assessed, but no follow up, so I spoke to our plunket nurse who did a referral to child and adolescent mental health. He was assessed, and a diagnosis given, but all they have given us so far is parenting courses and strategies, and some early intervention from ministry of education. What I would really like is some play therapy and someone helping him self regulate his emotions, as I am so tired of being a punching bag..
I did not know about parent to parent, so thanks! I have just emailed them :)

How about you? How did your journey start?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunnyhoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2013 at 10:10pm
Are you able to get help from a psychologist through mental health services?
We have play therapy once a fortnight through the Kari Centre (Auck) and have found them to be really supportive, helpful and caring. Perhaps there is a similar service where you are??

Our journey started with us ruling out other issues ie hearing, autism, adhd etc. Clearly there was a problem with her behaviours. After everything was done that Starship could do testing wise they referred us to the Kari Centre and they diagnosed. It was kind of nice to finally have an explanation and to know I wasn't going crazy and there really was a problem iykwim.
Life has been a battle since day one in my relationship with DD it's only now that I feel like we are getting somewhere. And still a long road to go.
How old is your son?
Mum to:
Rexy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2013 at 3:43pm
The mental health team says SS is 'too young' for play therapy and that WE are the ones that need to change. He's 2 months off 5. We have a psychologist involved but she only really gives us strategies and is trying to get some consistencies with here and his mums place.
Problem is he's really good at daycare, so no one gets what he's like when he's home with us. I totally get what you mean about feeling like you're going crazy!

Tania223073 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tania223073 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2017 at 10:22pm
Hi, please tell me you 2 still exist in this forum!!! I need help with my sons attachment disorder. He's 9 and I desperately need to speak with people who understand what we go through!!
 Post Reply Post Reply