FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNutrients and postnatal depression

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
hayb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hayb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nutrients and postnatal depression
    Posted: 24 June 2016 at 4:18pm
Hi

I'm a PhD student from the University of Canterbury. I'm interested in conducting research looking at the impact of micronutrient supplements on symptoms of depression and anxiety during pregnancy and the postnatal period. Micronutrients are a combination of essential vitamins and minerals.

For my study, I aim to compare two different micronutrient supplements, one with a lower dose of vitamins and minerals that can be obtained in the pharmacy and one with a higher dose and wider range of vitamins and minerals. Each supplement will contain the recommended dosages for folic acid, iodine and iron that is recommended during pregnancy.

In order to get an understanding of whether or not this study would be feasible, I would like to find out how many expecting mothers would be willing to take a micronutrient supplement during their second trimester through to 4 weeks after birth to see if this helps alleviate low mood and anxiety during and after pregnancy. Please post whether or not this would be something you would be interested in doing. I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts :)

Thanks so much

Hayley
Sponsored Links

Muma21more View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muma21more Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2016 at 5:55pm
Hi
This is something I would be interested in participating in, I had ppd for 1 year afee the birth of each of my 3 children, I am now pregnant with number 4. I found after taking magnesium supplements last time it helped a little, so I do believe adequate nutrition can play a vital role in the prevention or severity of ppd
:-)
mother of Talia 19 months

Post Reply Post Reply