FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFormula feeding

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
popcorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popcorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Formula feeding
    Posted: 04 March 2008 at 7:02pm
Hi there
I have been breast feeding my son for 6 months but now he has started biting down really hard on my nipples and it really hurts, so wondering about making the move on to the bottle. Are there any other Mums out there that have moved their babies on from breast milk to formula and which formula do you recommend and why?
Thanks in advance!!!!
Sponsored Links

mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2008 at 7:22pm

I've used 2 different types of formula with my boys. Andrew was on S26 as that was what was recommended to me by my MW (andrw started formula early on).

Josh went onto formula at about 7 months and I put him on Heinz Nurture. My reason for this was it was the cheapest.

My advice get a few stick packs (ring the formula companies and ask for samples) and try them out for a few days with your boy and see which is best for him.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2008 at 7:47pm
dont do it - think of the money!!!

it will improve - they go thru a stage of that, one of many.

popcorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popcorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2008 at 7:49pm
yeah I wanted to breast feed until he was 1 but it looks like I may have to go back to work part time unfortunately so may have to bottle feed anyway....
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2008 at 7:52pm
thats a shame... that you have to go back to work that is...

popcorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popcorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2008 at 7:55pm
yeah i am still coming to terms with it really, sounds pathetic i know! It will only be 2 or 3 days a week and he will be right next door in the baby centre. I work in the senior preschool, still it sucks...
.Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2008 at 7:58pm
Could you express? Give him EBM while he's at work with you? Would your workplace give you time to feed him? I'm sure they have to make allowances for that.. I'm not 100% sure on that though.

Mr Mellow (16)
Miss Attitude (8)
Destructa Kid (3)

popcorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popcorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2008 at 8:03pm
I have been relieving in the baby centre and breast feeding him on my breaks which is working fine. Might try expressed milk first, he takes the nuk now thanks to Mel!
Only thing would be that I would need to have time in the day ie my half hour lunch break to pump some milk to keep supply up really. might have to invest in an electric pump maybe...
Mum2ET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mum2ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2008 at 8:24pm

SimoneF, I work part-time (2 days a week) and at the moment am expressing during my lunch break so I can continue breastfeeding Ella. At this stage it is working well and work has been really good about it- my parents place is a 5 min drive from work, so I take a little bit longer during my lunch break and go back there and express. I am using a manual pump, but if i had to work any extra days I would have invested in an electric pump.

Good luck with whatever your decide to do

Mum to
Ella (5) and Tom (2)
.Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2008 at 8:27pm
You can buy or borrow mine Simone.

I've got a Medela Swing. I reckon I used it for 2 weeks tops. I've also got the storage bags.
Mr Mellow (16)
Miss Attitude (8)
Destructa Kid (3)

busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2008 at 8:30pm
I went back to work when Kryssi was 8 1/2 mos and I found expressing quite difficult at that stage because I didn't have much there, so the squeezing was rather uncomfy. Nothing like a baby just a couple of months. It's probably worth trying out to see how it goes.

As for biting, your best bet is still to see if you can resolve this as biting a bottle teat is such a nuisance (you have to buy more!). Loosen his jaw grip (by sticking your finger in his mouth and against your nipple as you pull him off), get him off there and put him on the floor for 60 secs. Then if he still seems hungry, try again. If he bites again, he's probably not interested, try again later.
popcorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popcorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2008 at 8:31pm
hhmm thats definitely something to think about! Thanks Mel! I am useless at expressing milk via the hand pump which is why I was thinking of getting an electric one. I have been recommended the swing. PM me how much you were thinking of selling it for, I have no idea what they are worth. Still tossing up about just using formula so have a bit of thinking to do really

Thanks Mum2Ella its good to hear about other Mums breast feeding and working to see how that might work, what bottles does she use?
.Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2008 at 8:40pm
God I don't know Simone, I brought it for $300... pfft, let me think about that one too.
Mr Mellow (16)
Miss Attitude (8)
Destructa Kid (3)

popcorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popcorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2008 at 8:48pm
gosh they are expensive! Hate making decisions

I have been recommended Heinz Nurture formula by my sis in law, any thoughts?
.Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2008 at 9:04pm
Yes definitely! I used that for all my kids. Tried s26, but they hated it.

100% try that one.
Mr Mellow (16)
Miss Attitude (8)
Destructa Kid (3)

Bel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2008 at 10:40am
Simone, I am using heinz Nurture for Luke and it seems to be working well. He still takes breast and bottle, so no problems there either...
Mum to two beautiful kids   
Luke (09.11.2007)
Amy (01.04.2009)
Mum2ET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mum2ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2008 at 2:14pm

Simone I have been using the avent bottles for Ella (and using the avent manual pump). Next time around I would definitely think about getting an electric pump (although they are expensive which is probably why I didn't get one this time around).

Mum to
Ella (5) and Tom (2)
popcorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popcorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2008 at 3:42pm
just got back from the shops, bought the sample packs of heinz nurture stage 2 6month plus i hope that was the right thing to do? am thinking now maybe I should have started off with the younger one? he is 6 months old tomorrow

also which do you use the red one or the gold version?
Gaelic Lass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaelic Lass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2008 at 4:02pm
I had to start some formula feeds when Georgia was only a few weeks old, as my milk supply was very low. She was fully formula fed from 3 mths and I have always used Heinz Nurture Gold. It is a really good formula and she has taken very well to it.

When she started solids, I switched to the Heinz Nurture (Red tin) - since she is getting extra goodness from her food anyway.

Simone - the Follow on formula should be ok, as it is from 6 mths plus anyway. Both the red and gold versions are good. Georgia has no trouble switching back and forward if one is out of stock that week.

Cheers.
Loobee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loobee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2008 at 1:54pm
My boy was a late teether so managed to bf till 9months before the biting began which made me really uptight at feed times so I swapped to formula over a number of weeks.. I used the samples first and found that he definitely preferred S26 but I think that really depends baby to baby. At 10 months he is fully weaned and I am really enjoying the freedom and Dad is loving being able to look after him for extended periods. As he is only on three bottles a day a tin lasts 10 days so isn't really a financial issue. I did agonise over giving up b/feeding but honestly now that I have made the change I have no regrets. Good luck whatever you decide to do.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>