FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAdvice on dealing with insensitive people

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Parki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Parki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice on dealing with insensitive people
    Posted: 22 May 2011 at 8:31pm
Hi ladies,

I was wondering if any of you lovely ladies have any advice on how to deal with people during this emotional journey.

I am finding it increasingly difficult to be around some people when they are so incredibly insensitive about what my DH & I are going through...

There is one 'friend' in particular that I am not sure how to deal with. Novel story below;

Background; We have been close friends for about 15 years and she has one 5 year old daughter who I adore and love being around.
Over the years we have sort of drifted in and out of friendship but try to catch up every now & then.

1.She knows our infetility situation (ICSI only chance of baby) and I have kept her in the loop of where we are at etc as our first cycle was the same time as her sister doing IVF.
Last year I found out our first attempt didn't work the day before my birthday (And told her) and then at my birthday breakfast she announced she was pregnant in front of everyone. I managed to smile & congratulate her and burst onto tears when I got to the car.
(She miscarried this pregnancy and I sent her flowers and called to check she was ok etc)

2. Whenever I hang out with her & all my other friends 9who all have kids) they always talk about babies and kids and then if I offer any type of opinion I get the "Yeah, but it's different when you are a Mum, it's easy to say these things but you'll understand one day"
SO RUDE!

3. She invited DH and I over for dinner last week and as soon as I walk in the door she announces she is pregnant again (Two weeks before our second IVF attempt)
and proceeds to talk about the pregnancy the entire night. Again, held it together until I got to the car.
I thought maybe I was just being oversensitive so hopped into bed and I get a text saying something along the lines of "Was so funny seeing the shock on your face when we told you"

4. She sent me a fwded email the other day in the subject line "To all the Mums & Dads out there'
WTF is she serious?

I am really struggling with this, am I being oversensitive or is she being a total b*tch?
There are other things but these are the main things she has done lately.

Biggest novel ever but due to being on the younger side, I have nobody to talk to about this stuff!
I am really struggling
Sponsored Links

mountaingirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mountaingirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2011 at 9:19pm
Parki - you are not being oversensitive at all - your 'friend' sounds like a selfish cow. I wouldn't blame her if she didn't understand what you were going through (how could she?) but she sounds like she doesn't even want to try to understand - and more than that, goes to extra lengths to make you feel worse!
She may not be doing it on purpose - as it is something I don't think you can understand entirely unless you have struggled with infertility - but she could certainly try harder to be more sensitive and supportive. Either she is very dense or just malicious and revels in other people's misery to make herself feel better.
To be honest if it was me I would remove myself from the situation and try not to be around her unless it is absolutely necessary. I'm bad at confrontation though so I'd rather avoid things altogether. Hugs hun, it's a tough journey and you will always meet people who do or say the wrong thing - most of them won't do it intentionally.
Kazper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2011 at 9:31pm
Wow you are not be oversensitive at all. That is harsh. Some people really don't get it and have no capability to even try and put themselves in the same shoes.

I agree with mountaingirl, try to remove yourself from being around her. You don't need that stress and upset.

If it helps your not alone. A lot of us went and are going through the same stuff. I remember after our second failed round (had a frostie left) we got engaged and decided to throw a big party. In part to have something to celebrate ourselves for a change since we couldn't celebrate pregnancy and on the night my family arrived from up north my aunty friend blurted out she was pregnant and that was all my family talked about all night. DH and I sat there quiet at our own party while everyone discussed the pregnancy.

ScaredyCat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScaredyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 8:27am
OMG, I don't think you are overracting at all, like the others said I would distance myself from her as much as possible and quickly!

I hate to say it but how much of a friend is she anyway if she cannot see how much her comments hurt and upset you, especially if she knows of your struggle with infertility, to me that says she is not a true friend at all.

Big 's hun, its a really tough road you are travelling right now and its a time we need our true friends the most.
TTC # 1 - 7.5 years
2 x IVF - 4 x Trf
3 x BFP's
3 x M/c Feb 09June 10Sept 11
2 Blasties on Ice
balcy1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote balcy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 1:14pm
I agree...
I had a friend who knew DH and I had been trying at that stage for 18 months to get pregnant.
Then when seeing her and she told me she was pregnant said "Oh yea, thought I had already told you. Decided to have a baby and wham pregnant after first month of trying. No big deal, its old news now"

From that day on, I removed myself from making contact with her. She tried to keep in touch with me, but she was so insensitive I couldnt be bothered with her. Now, I never see her and never even been to visit her or her child since.

Bitch that I am... LOL
GuestGuest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GuestGuest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 3:04pm
She sounds like a complete BIARCH!!!! I'm sorry you have had to go through that Parki! Surely even the most self-centred person would understand that those types of comments are completely insensitive.

I would tell her how you feel or if that's too hard, send her an email and ask for an explanation. If she can't be kind and understanding in her response then show her the door.
tischler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tischler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 7:47pm
Parki - I totally agree with what everyone else has said. You don't want to have people like that around you. Infertility is such a tough journey and right now you need support and friendship.

I find that even hearing friends/family are pregnant is hard enough (and they are supportive to me), that's not even close to what that 'friend' of yours is doing to you.

Remove contact, surround yourself with caring people, and look after yourself.
5 IVF/ICSI Cycles - 10 embryo's, 8 transfers, all BFN's.
Our journey to parenthood is over, and we join the unfortunate many for whom IVF does not work.
lsttcdiver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lsttcdiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 7:48pm
Get rid!! Self preservation is so so important.

Your 'friend' sounds like a cow the things she has said to you are not accidental slips they are outright mean and nasty comments said to hurt you. You do not need people like this regardless of what you're going through!
LisaLooo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LisaLooo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 7:51pm
Kick her to the kerb!!! Not worth knowing and seems she gets great delight out of your situation

Surround yourself with loving, caring people xx
IVF ED 2000 BFN
IVF ED Oct 2010 BFN
FET March BFN
FET April BFP then m/c
ED cycle Feb BFP m/c 8 weeks
_Lou_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Lou_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 8:10pm
That really sucks Parki! I don't get why someone would even think about saying those sorts of things when they are fully aware of what you are going through!

IMO there is enough negativity going on sometimes without having people in your life who are negative as well. You need positive, supportive people, not ones who want to bring you down and make you feel worse. Hugs
spanky77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spanky77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 10:32pm
Wow, she really doesn't get it. I do believe that until you have been down the infertility/mc road, its probably hard to completely get it, but she has a way to go to even try?!!
Is she a friend you really want to keep for the long-term? Maybe send her this, printed outhttp://www.resolve.org/support-and-services/for-family--friends/infertility-etiquette.html

If she's not, maybe send it her anyway, but with no expectation. I know it doesn't exactly point to what you have described above, and is even not even NZ based, but hey, its a start?!
3x miscarriages, balanced translocation likely culprit.

BFP from 2nd round IVF, The Bonk born in May 2013
spanky77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spanky77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 10:42pm
Wow, she really doesn't get it. I do believe that until you have been down the infertility/mc road, its probably hard to completely get it, but she has a way to go to even try?!!
Is she a friend you really want to keep for the long-term? Maybe send her this, printed outhttp://www.resolve.org/support-and-services/for-family--friends/infertility-etiquette.html

If she's not, maybe send it her anyway, but with no expectation. I know it doesn't exactly point to what you have described above, and is even not even NZ based, but hey, its a start?!
3x miscarriages, balanced translocation likely culprit.

BFP from 2nd round IVF, The Bonk born in May 2013
Kazper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 7:08am
Great link Spanky. That is such a great idea. Even if you did a group email of this to people who are really supportive to so she doesn't think she is being targeted and if she complains about it, well then explain she is the only one as everyone else is supportive - or something like that.

I know FA have pamphlets you can take and hand out to family and friends and I had friends asking for them because they were very interested in the whole process to and they offered good advice to friends and family on how to support the couple going through infertility.

kiwikt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwikt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 10:08am
Wow I would be so mad if this was my friend.

I have heaps of friends pregnant at the moment, all of whom know our infertility troubles and have been really sensitive about the fact they got pregnant really easy. My best friend was constantly asking if I was going to be ok with her pregnancy if she got pregnant and I didnt.

Not one of them has ever said - 'you will understand when you have your own' - knowing that it may not happen.

I am sorry. She doesn't sound like a real friend. Everyone slips occasionally, and I have had friends launch into long conversations about pregnancy and mother hood and how hard it is etc, forgetting that I may not ever be able to get there, but on the whole they try really hard to understand how I was feeling.

Confrontation is hard - I dont recommend it, but next time she texts you something like that, reply back that you were not shocked about her pregnancy, but shocked that she could be so insensitive. People dont always know when they are doing things - it might be time to tell her.
Due 14/10/11
IVFGirl1111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IVFGirl1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 11:42am
Are you serious?! Man what a cow!

Huge hugs to you, not a nice situation to be in at all.

Why send that email though when she knows what you're going through - that is awful!

No you're not being too sensitive about it at all! I would be so upset too.

HUGE hugs x
TTC 6 years
IVF it is
IVF/ICSI round one
10 eggs, 8 mature, 3 fertilised BFN
IVF/ICSI #2 = 22 eggs!
20 mature, 15 fertilised, 1 fresh transfer and 2 frosties
BFN
2 Frosties still in freezer thank god
Parki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Parki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 12:11pm
Thanks ladies, you have pretty much confirmed what I thought was the best way to deal with the situation.

The hard part is, I don't know if she realises she is doing it? She is quite a self absorbed person so maybe she genuinly doesn't notice the uncomfortable moments when I sympathise with how "horrible her morning sickness is" etc.

I think maybe the problem is I am normally quite a straight up person, always have been so maybe she expects that if I had an issue I would say something? Problem is, this whole infertility/IVF process has really taken a toll on my confidence & my emotional state! I don't feel confident enough to tell someone to pull their head in, I guess because I'm not even sure if I am being oversensitive?
Does that make sense?

The funny thing is, her sister was doing IVF almost exact same time as me and she told me that she was going to wait to TTC number 2 because she didn't want to upset her sister by getting pregnant first... So she must have some handle on how rough IVF is? Maybe my feelings aren't as important as her sisters?

Spanky, that is an awesome link! Very accurate to how I am feeling.
I don't particularly care if we stay friends or not but we are in the same group of friends so i don't want to be too confrontational and cause an issue. I am also worried that I come off looking like I'm jealous of all my preggie friends which is not the case at all, many of my friends have had (numerous) babies in the 5 years I have been trying and I am 100% consumed with love & adoration for them and their kids but this one girl I just can't be happy for her when she is such a b****.

Sigh.... Oh well hopefully this next round works and then I can worry about my own morning sickness & not hers!

Edited by Parki
Parki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Parki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 12:12pm
Maybe I should send her a link to this thread!
Lulu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 12:55pm
Parki, I do sympathise but I do think you are being a little oversensitive. You have the expectation that someone that has never been in your place, can imagine what its like to be in your place. For me, when I was going through IVF I would have hated for people to watch what they said and did around me and for them to be walking on broken egg shells hoping that they wouldn't upset or offend me. It would have offended me alot more if people felt they had to keep their own happy news from me so as not to hurt my feelings. Don't get me wrong, I also shed tears when close friends announced their pregnancies, but it was my journey, not theirs.
Lou
Parki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Parki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 1:11pm
I don't and never have expected people to walk on egg shells around me and as I mentioned I am nothing but happy for other friends when they announce pregnancies etc. I throw baby showers, attend EVERY baby shower, visit in hospital, send flowers, everything.
It is just this one particular person that seems to go out of her way to say things that come across as either completely oblivious or just nasty.

Its like having a friend who has no arms and talking about your arms in front of them all the time and saying things like "Oh if you had arms you would understand" and sending them emails with the subject 'To all those with arms out there"

Its just screwed up.

And actually yes, I do have expectations of someone I have been friends with for 15 years. Not an expectation that they should understand what it like to be in my place but an expectation that they support me and at least be understanding as I have been for the last 15 years of our friendship; Not make me cry all the time!
Kazper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 1:27pm
I don't think your being over sensitive. Like you said when you first started ivf you had this get together for your birthday and she used it to announce her pregnancy. That is not the act of a good friend.

I don't think this woman is thinking or gets that she is being self absorbed. None of my friends walked on egg shells, but they also knew to be some what sensitive towards these things. Every time a family member or friend announced their pregnancy they did so in private and talked to me about how I'm feeling and actively wanted me to get involved with their pregnancies and kids. It made things so much better and I enjoyed talking to them abut their pregnancies etc.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>