FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBedtime insert advice please

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Two Blondinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Blondinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bedtime insert advice please
    Posted: 24 April 2007 at 3:06pm
We've been giving Caitlin heaps of water during the day (probably 500mls worth) due to her medication.

She's always been a heavy wetter but has been fine for 3+ hours using a large microfibre insert during then day, I've just started to add a booster with this and that is ample for day time use.

Our problem is at night time though. I've been playing around with adding inserts and boosters of varying quantities. We've never had any leaks but in the morning (after a 12 hour sleep) the nappy is sodden and the fleece feels damp, that's with 1 large inserts and a small insert (both 3 layer microfibre).
Last night I tried 1 large, 1 small and a booster. In the morning the fleece and her bum was dry but the nappy had gaped around the legs and had leaked into her bed My first ever leak with Fuzzis, I was most upset!

I've heard a lot about how good the hemp ones are (after heaps of washing) but I had also heard that they expand the wetter they get, so I don't think that will solve our problem.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links

Nic01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nic01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2007 at 3:42pm
Stink My hemp inserts don't seem to expand that much. They get really heavy because they hold heaps of liquid, but I haven't noticed that they expand a lot as such, so might be worth a shot. Good luck - I'm too chicken to try cloth at night because I don't want to deal with leaks!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Blondinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2007 at 3:44pm
go on be brave! That's the first ever leak we've had in 9 months, Caitlin has been in cloth full time since newborn
Nic01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nic01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2007 at 3:54pm
Yeah I should just bite the bullet & try it. We're full time in cloth during the day & I would love to get rid of the sposies altogether. I used fuzzi's overnight on a few occasions when Matt was really little & they were fine. It's just he's such a huge wetter now, I'd probably have to use a tonne of stuffing!!!
Kazzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2007 at 4:13pm
we use mummys touch pockets...and use 2 inserts (microfleece) and 1 hemp...and have no problems with it at all....no leaking or anything

jack_&_charli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jack_&_charli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2007 at 4:41pm
do you have any peapod inserts toni? i use one of them (trifold ones) and a prefold which is enough on both kids for 12-14hrs

busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2007 at 5:16pm
Toni have you tried 2 inserts? And just make sure it's tucked properly around the thigh high up, that seems to help stop it gaping.
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2007 at 5:22pm
I was bored yesterday and soaked the hemp inserts I have in hot water and they didn't expand at all but soaked up a ton of water
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2007 at 8:20pm
I can lend you a couple of Peapod hemps if you like? I use them plus a flat in the gremlins Ecobubs at night but I have plenty so won't miss a couple.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
My3Sons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote My3Sons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2007 at 8:32pm
Hiya Toni, I have found 2 microfibre inserts and a bamboo (tweedle) insert folded in half work great for Leo!  9 months with no leaks, that is impressive!!
Mum to Mr 10, Mr 6 and Mr 4

nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2007 at 1:26pm
I don't think hemp expands at all... like others have mentioned, it gets heavier, but not bulkier.

And as you may well know, Hannah went through the heavy wetting phase a few months ago where she would save it all up then absolutely flood the nappy. The only thing that ended up working for me was to get a wool cover and use that over the top of her night nappy to prevent anything soaking the pjs/bed that the nappy couldn't deal with. Worked a treat - used a Designer Bums cover. Made her waddle like a maniac tho... but who cares when she is meant to be lying down!
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2007 at 1:48pm
i have a hemp flat and a hemp booster you can have if you want - just PM me. they dont expand, i dont think any MCN stuff expands...not like the gel crystals in those sposies...

Edited by gandt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Blondinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2007 at 8:53am
ok so I put her to bed in the worlds BIGGEST NAPPY (one large microfibre insert, a small microfibre and a hemp PPs flat thing that was folded into 3), the nappy didn't gape so I thought GREAT

and this morning.....

wet jammies!   

Am considering putting her to bed in the bath
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2007 at 9:15am
were the inserts sopping wet? and when you had her nappy on did you push her legs up to check it didnt gape then?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Blondinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2007 at 9:46am
Originally posted by gandt gandt wrote:

were the inserts sopping wet? and when you had her nappy on did you push her legs up to check it didnt gape then?

yes and yes. I always do the leg test when I'm fitting nappies at demos.

I asked one of the other FB agents and apparently the petite might be sagging down (i.e. rise to long) now that she is more mobile and that I should get some mediums

My bonus just came in so they would be free but she wouldn't be in them for very long (3 months tops)
I guess I could always flick the petites onto trade me
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2007 at 10:09am
i put my 3 yr old in petites overnight...!!!

maybe you should think about trying a fitted and cover overnight. or even just a wool cover over her pockets.

also from where were they leaking, could you tell?   maybe there was pressure on the nappy from her pj's that you wouldnt normally get due to the largeness of the nappy last night.
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2007 at 10:14am
You could always try the same inserts in the medium one I gave you and see if that makes a difference?

Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Blondinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2007 at 10:34am
yup, I'll try the medium today after my demo and let you know.

It's so weird that this is happening now! We've never had any issues n the past
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2007 at 6:00pm
She must be holding it longer so it all floods at once. Maya did that as she got older. Lucky you!
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
aimeejoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimeejoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2007 at 7:22pm
We have been using 2 x 3 layer inserts (the long ones) and either a booster or a longer 2 layer booster folded in half at the front (all microfibre) for quite a while now. I have larges if you want to try one.
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>