FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedOne Income Families

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
sunnyhoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunnyhoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: One Income Families
    Posted: 26 April 2007 at 5:02pm
Hi there,

Here's a question for stay at home Mums/Dads...how do you cope on one income?
What kinds of things do you do to save the dollars?
I am hoping to take a year off work but am worried about how it's going to affect us financially so am looking for some tips.

Thanks in advance
Mum to:
Joy Emily 1.05am 27/09/07 7lb 3oz
Austin Paul 12.47pm 18/04/10 10lb 8oz
Sponsored Links

Bumble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bumble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2007 at 5:18pm
Hi there, we are a one income family, have been for 4 yrs.
Tips: Buy baby clothes now for next year. When they come up on sale get a few items.... I do this constantly, just means I am off to a head start for next year.
Do your grocery shopping fortnightly or monthly if you can and only buy items that are on sale! Have just started the monthly rotation as DH paid monthly....
Budget, budget budget abd stick to it!!!! Most important!!!!
Save as much as you can between now and when bubs is born.
If you have a baby shower, encourage people to get items like trainer drinking cups, baby spoons, bottles if you are going that way rather than just newborn stuff. Or if you are going the MCN way, get them to get you nappies!!!
formerly known as "Bee"

Ethan ~ March 2003 Big 6 year old school boy!
Micah ~ Aug 2008 ~ Smiley pants who loves telephones!
miss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2007 at 5:22pm
I think the most important thing you can be doing now is save, save save! Try as mcu h as you can now to live on one income and save as much of the other as possible.

other things to help now are:
Stocking up on general household items so they won't need to be part of your weekly shopping (clothes powder, toothpaste, toiletpaper, deodarant etc)

Build up payments on utilities - paying an extra amount each month so you can reduce payments for some of the time you are off.

Look at things you can cut back on now and make those cuts - shopping at different stores, changes at home to make it better (thermal lined cutains to help with heating etc).

Build up a range of meals that are tasty, nutritious and easy to make so you aren't compelled to get takeaways. Many preople rate the destitute gourmet, there is also a link on WINZ to a comprehensive healthy eating cookbook (don't have the link but you should be able to find it there).

Investigate the possibility of a mortgage holiday for a couple of months or an interest only scheme for a couple of months if you have a mortgage.

Investigate options for travelling to things you need to do for bubs now that you can walk to - plunket, local groups etc.

These are off the top of my head, i am sure many others will also have great ideas!

miss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2007 at 5:26pm
Oh, another thing - if you are going disposables, then getting them from one of the online stores seems to be so much cheaper - so far my research shows most people like dryups. (thats what we are going to try after bubs is out of newborn, we already have over 250 newborn nappies).

Trademe is great for bargains for some of the things you might want to get for bubs - we got the bouncer, stroller, change table and other bits and pieces off there for huge savings and it doesn't matter that they aren't new, bubs won't care!

Borrow - borrow as many things from friends who have older kids as you can. We have borrowed the monitor, the newborn playmat, the highchair and loads of other things too.
miss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2007 at 5:38pm
Me again - sorry! Just found these tips at the end of that WINZ cookbook I mentioned earlier:

- grow some veges in the garden or in pots to supplement meals as they are often expensive and go to waste
- Use alternative cleaners: baking soda mixed to a paste with water can be a creme cleaner for benches etc; strong vinegar/water solution cleans the toilet, an all purpse cleaning liquid recipe - 4 L hot water, 1/4 c vinegar, 1 T baking soda
- don't use the dryer, use the clothes line and an indoor rack
- Don't use the oven as a heater (only included this one because on that wasted show one guy did!! Insane!)
- microwave and electric frypan are cheaper to run than the oven.
Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2007 at 6:37pm
What do we do to save money lets see....

We use cloth for everything, nappies, wipes, mama pads and moon cups, cloth breast pads...the savings totally add up.

Meal plan meal plan meal plan. Buy only what you need and shop once a fornight. Buy budget brands, you don't need name brands ie: Coke $2.50 - homebrand - $0.89 - makes a big difference. We only spend $200 per fornight for our family of 3 and I know of larger families with a similar budget so it can be done.

Save power - again it makes a huge difference to the bills, turn of lights, don't leave things on standby.

Make meals from scratch, do your own baking. Again saves a huge amount. Get a selection of easy recipes that you can use each fornight. Once you are in the habit of it then it's no biggie to cook each night or make your own bikkies, bread etc.

That's about all I can think of for now.Hope that helps.

jack_&_charli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jack_&_charli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2007 at 7:25pm
i can't add much to what's already been said but

*definately shopping once a fortnight..it's alot cheaper than weekly shopping. we spend $150 per fortnight. even if we don't need much i stock up on things especially if they are on special. we only buy pams/budget brand as it's just as good as anything else

*if using disposables, shop online. i've done alot of research during my days before we went MCN and babysupplies.co.nz has the best and cheapest nappies (IMHO) cien brand

*run dishwasher/dryer/hot machine wash at night times after the cheaper rates kick in

*on those cold nights, go to bed and snuggle while you watch tv (if you can) saves on heating
*if you haven't already, open a bank acc with no eft card and deposit $$ into it regularly. having to go into the bank to get cash will make you think twice. we've got 2 like that with kiwibank.

busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2007 at 7:37pm
If you have freezer space, it's nice to make 2x meals and put half of it away for a night when you can't be bothered cooking.

Budget...and stick to it. Don't forget to budget in spending money, and money to save.

Have a look at what entitlements you can get - accomodation supplement (WINZ)? Family tax credit (IRD)?

If you know someone who has just finished their family, see if you can get some of their hand-me-down clothes and/or furniture. You'll save a heap.

We've been on a single income for 4 years (since we got married), it's tough at times but the best advice we ever got was to budget together, it saves a heap of money problems later.
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2007 at 7:38pm
PS Someone suggested taking a mortgage holiday by IMO you should try to avoid doing that if possible (even if you just lowered your payments would be heaps better) just in case you change your mind about returning to work, or decide to go part-time. Then you wouldn't have locked yourself in.
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2007 at 8:25pm
I agree with what the other ladies have said.
We have been a single income family for so long, since having paris, and now i have finished study, i am working and mike is at study so we are in it for the long haul of at least another 3 years after this.

Find out what you qualify for, and don't be afraid to use it. it's there for a reason.

Like others have said, budget, realise what are wants and what are needs.. sometimes the two run into each other and you realise you can live on alot less than what you actually think you can. sit down and write out incomings and outgoings for every week, or pay period if it isn't weekly. that way we know exactly down to the dollar how much we should get in. if the pay packet is not always the same, budget on the bottom flat rate.. anything like overtime or penal rates that get added come as a bonus and are extra money.      We have everything on AP's through our bank, with an account that is $12 flat rate per month, saves us a heap on AP fees. and also makes sure our bills get paid as otherwise we just don't get time to do it. for our power we pay the same amount in fortnightly amounts, which is the years amount divided up - genesis does this. it means no matter if our power bills go up or down, we pay the same but it also means no nasty letters telling us we are in arrears if we don't pay the full amount one month as it all evens out. we use internet banking alot too as we can check on our money easily and know what we have in the bank at a glance, and also where our money has gone (surprising sometimes how much the little things add up!)

we dont use the dryer unless it's absolute need, we have a 3 tier tall washing hanger, which washing gets put on if its too wet to hang out - another good thing is a line inthe shed or carport. at least then you can just chuck in dryer for a few seconds to finish it off if really needed. we don't have a dishwasher, and unless there's heaps of dishes, we do the big lot of dishes at night. We don't hot wash at all, clothes get just as clean and far less faded with a cold wash.

and hand me downs and supermarket specials (ie stocking up when stuff is cheap) are helpful and save heaps. buying at end of season sales for the next year is too. TNT have great sales and we just go and buy roughly what size we think we'll need for the next season. Paris has all her 4 yr old shorts and summer stuff sitting in her wardrobe waiting for summer.

W do our shop once a fortnight, and for our family of 4 of us, including nappies (even when they were both in them) plus when ayja was on formula.. our budget was $240 a fortnight, and we stuck to that. there are some things we will not compromise on for certain brands, you quickly learn what is a good deal to buy budget and what just isn't great - ie tastes awwful or doesn't do the job. for stuff for us, like shampoo, feminine things, make-up - it comes out of our own spending money. (hence i don't actually use that much, because i use my spending money on the kids most times to buy at the sales etc, or pay off laybys.

we buy for xmas at the july toy sales, put down a layby and just get a few little bits closer to xmas. we buy for birthdays at sales too, kmart and farmers are great for their 20% off sale.

there's so so much more, but i guess you learn to live within your means. we are lucky in that now my income is actually more than what mikes was when our roles were reversed, so we have that little bit of extra cash, which is now going towards paying off some things that have been nagging us for a long time. and then will go toward our wedding. i have written out a plan, to pay off things, (which can be a good idea pre baby so it free's up money after baby) so that we would have been debt-free by early october.. before i would have gone on maternity leave. we no longer have to think about that, but are still sticking to the plan, so that by the end of this year, we will be debt-free, and any money we get, is ours, and ours alone.

Edited by mum2paris
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

MyMinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyMinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2007 at 9:54pm
When we lived in Motueka we were on a very low one income. But we budgeted hard out.

I bought bulk packs of meat and broke them up, we grew our own veges but still bought where necessary,

with clothes I accepted any hand-me-downs, and once Haleigh was to big for them I would buy clothes in loads of sizes when they were on special.
I also buy big when it comes to clothes, so Haleighs still wearing clothes I bought this tiem last year as I went crazy in all the sales.
MAybe start stocking up in clothes while your on 2 incomes and stock up on things like nappies and anything else you may be needing

NAppies, depending what oyur going to use, cloth would be cheapest, but if you go disposables we bought bulk packs good ones at night and cheapies for day, we got ones from baby factory very reasonable and are great for a day nappy and are ok as a night nappy.

Family Assistance pays alot better now than it did when we got it so you could be entitled to a good amount, also accom supp from WINZ is always helpful to.

Also possibly if your power company does it do a smooth pay, we are with contact and pay them $75 fortnight and jsut keep it up so in the months where we use hardly any power we end up building up credit which is really good, our power bills look very impressive every month.

Edited by haleighsmum
newmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2007 at 8:48am
What we find works is withdrawing cash from our account to cover costs for that fortnight (week whatever). Then put the eftpos and credit cards away and you automatically spend less!!

I totally have to agree with the meal plan idea I look at what is coming up on special that week and plan my meals around that - write up the meals on a monthly plan I have up on our fridge and stick to it!! Definitley helps save. We spend $250 a fortnight for groceries, toiletries and nappies - this might go down now that we aren't living in Wellington anymore?

newmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2007 at 8:50am
Dh also always takes his lunch to work to save money.

MyMinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyMinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2007 at 8:52am
i def found nappies cheaper when we lived in motueka and food in general than in wellington.
for some reason we spend more here than we did there
emeldee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emeldee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2007 at 11:54am
And don't forget to get your Pamol/Zinc and Castor Oil Barrier Cream etc. on prescription from the doctors for the kiddies (I do it whenever the kids need to see the doctor) - saves paying full price.
(I also ask the rellies for gift vouchers for presents - we have loads of stuff so gift vouchers can be used on things we actually want or need).

peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2007 at 12:57pm
this is a great thread guys! I am panicking about going to one income as my income has been the main one and it is going to be horrible to let it go. We dont spend extravagently at the moment but we arent good at planning so little things add up. We are trying really hard to get as caught up with things as possible before bubs arrives as we are also saving for our wedding.

we plan to grow our own veges, DF is from a farming background and is missing the garden and now we have shifted to a place that has a garden we can go for it. I will be very impatient waiting for things to grow though.

We have already started to shop at the farmers market and only buythings that are in season as I think we should learn to live that way anyway.

I need to get back to a lunch I enjoy for work though. My tastebuds have been nuts during this pregnancy and I often get to work and think "yuk! I dont want that now!" I think a toastie sandwich maker will help at work.

Keep the advice coming guys!!!!
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2007 at 1:29pm
There's also another thread I started a few months back about money saving ideas that has some more tips in it. I'll bump it up for you guys
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2007 at 1:31pm
Oh, it's in the First baby, second or more board
jamesmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2007 at 1:49pm
I've just started buying christmas club voucher's at New World that way we can use those to do our groceries around xmas time and free up some money for presents.
fattartsrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2007 at 2:22pm
oooh and I save LOTS of money now after switching my bank accounts (ok, so only about $15 a month) I set up a streamline account with ASB bank, which is COMPLETELY free of charge, after you have set up all your AP's etc. So no charges for aps or anything, I do all my banking through this account and it costs me ZILCH!!!
The Honest Un PC Parent of 2, usually stuck in the naughty corner! :P
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>