FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMy foray into cloth nappies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
Author
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My foray into cloth nappies
    Posted: 09 October 2005 at 6:29pm
Well, as you know i have two babies. Gabriel is 23 months old and toby is 3 months old. And boy do they fill the garbage bin up with nappies. so i have been seriously looking into the cloth nappy thing. Aimee noticed the napnaps in one of my pics of toby and i have also brought and tried the trial fuzzi bunz. And i thought i would let you know how i was going with them. I also own several old style nappies, i think they call them flats nowadays. i think that all those disposable have spoilt me cause i am really taken with the way fuzzi bunz behave like a disposable in that they dont get bubs bum wet, and the cut is pretty cool too. i wasnt as impressed with the nap naps for that reason. they were very easy to use tho but made my little boys bum seem very bulky and didnt draw the moisture away. have also found a large diff in price for these "pocket nappies". the ones i found ranged in price from $21 to $35 and some come with the inserts and some without. i am going to trial some more types of pocket nappies and have ordered me some swaddlebees. i tried the fuzzi on my big boy today and they did a great job and he looked cool too, so tomorrow i will try him in the nap nap as i think they might be more suitable for him.

anyway that is my novel... thanks emma for showing me how to fold nappies the other day too, that is how unco i am about this whole thing.. oh and tues i am going to see some real nappies (that is the company name) in action so will have somehting else to think about.

Sponsored Links

lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2005 at 8:01pm
thats really interesting. i've been thinking about doing something similar as Jake and B2 will both be in nappies too. And it's sooooo expensive! (even with my mum paying ), so have decided to look into cloth nappies. also, I'll be a housewife for prob two years while I do my teaching diploma, so.....something to think about.
AlyAyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlyAyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2005 at 1:34pm
hee hee, Im just selling all my cloths and overnaps on trademe for $1 reserve.

Edited by Angelnz

Jayde 25/12/04

Alyssa 08/04/03

http://Alyayde.bebo.com
Carmel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carmel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2005 at 1:57pm
I was thinking about using cloth as well as disposable, just using cloth when I'm at home and using disposables at night and when I go out, so many of my friends are telling me to not even use cloth but I think it will be better on our budget.
nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2005 at 4:14pm
Thanks heaps for that Deb.
Next year (once I get a laundry) I am seriously considering doing cloth too. Nice to hear about the disposable to cloth transition and how you found the different brands.
Let us know how it goes with the rest!
aimeejoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimeejoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2005 at 4:34pm
Will let you know how it goes on a newborn too soon

Deb, I have a trial FB, trial nap-naps pack, a couple of Down Undies covers, old flat nappies and some muslin flats, and some old Little Rippers. Also have a few 'old-fashioned' Fluffies and wool covers. Have a few insert thingys and also washable and flushable liners. Am planning on using the muslins (pinned or snappied) with liners and covers for newborn, then maybe fitteds with covers when it is a little bigger and will fit sizes for longer, so curious to see how you go with your little one. Also considering prefolds with covers... So many decisions
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2005 at 5:07pm
i can't believe how expensive the trial packs are though!!!
angel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2005 at 5:21pm
Have a look on trademe and see if you can get them secondhand - they have good resale value too if you dont like them.
Aimee
Ella - 5.5 years old!
Toby - nearly 3 years old!
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2005 at 2:03pm
LOL Nikki, Hannah will be out of nappies by then !

I used the plain old folded flats and they were fine for us. I still have a huge pile of them here for next time round so they have lasted really well. Cost me $90 for 3 dozen from KMart, plus I used plastic overnaps at $3 for 3 pairs from KMart and the J&J liners.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2005 at 3:54pm
Emma - Yeah ideally... but it's not that far away! Might have a laundry by December, and while I'd like her to be TT by then I think I'm being a bit hopeful
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2005 at 8:17pm
Maybe Maya is hard case, she hasn't had an accident at home now for months but every day at daycare she has at least one.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2005 at 9:39pm
Well good on her for being TT at home. Maybe it's the excitement of being around other kids that she forgets to take notice of when she needs to go?
Kids are funny.
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2005 at 1:12pm
nikki - some nappy companies do a laundry service too - real nappies have one. i met a rep from there yesterday.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2005 at 11:32pm
yeah, i saw it in a magazine... ~$20. wish i had spare money to get someone to do my washing!!!
lou View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2005 at 10:38am
Well I made my first nappy cover yesterday, and to my surprise it didn't leak when Sophie wore it last night.  It was a bit of a shocker as it was my first attempt.  Am going to make more and replace my weenies I used for Sophie.  I got a really good deal on some waterproof material $2m, and I know it's good as I've used for waterproof overalls for Sophie.  Brought cheap microfleece $3m I think, nice an soft.  But felt ripped off at Spotlight for elastic and velcro, buying those from Greenbeans next time.  But all up the cover proberly only cost $4 to make bargin! lol
Mother to two beautiful children - Sophie age 6 and Ephraim age 4

newmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2005 at 11:11am
Yay! Well done you!!

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2005 at 1:53pm
well done lou, it seems to me the covers cost more than anything else so thats going to def be a saving.

p.lsarge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.lsarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2005 at 3:46pm
Hi there

I have bub's on the way and have just brought a set of Snazzi pant's nappies.
My sister also has them and her daughter is almost one now and she swear's by them.
the cheapest way of using this system is a pre fold and an overnap so i have taken her advice and gone for the same.
so maybe they are worth a look in as well.
www.snazzipants.co.nz

Edited by p.lsarge
Lara
fattartsrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2005 at 10:31pm
I am just waiting on a trial pack from real nappies, I have been using disopsib;es up untill now, but i find I have to use huggies as jake is a heavy piddler and wets thu the cheaper nappies. I'm hoping to use real nappies during the day and just the disposibles at night. does anyone else use real nappies (the brand) and what do they think, i am interested in hearing feedback
The Honest Un PC Parent of 2, usually stuck in the naughty corner! :P
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2005 at 10:23am
i havent ordered my trial pack yet but met with a rep from real nappies last week, they looked pretty good, and the price is just a tad cheaper than snazzipants' prefolds. you will be able to use ordinary old nappies inside the wrap you get from the trial pack too, just folded into a pad. i found a site (is a US mom) who has some different folds for prefolds that i thought i might try and you might find good too.
http://diaperpages.com/pf_folds.php

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>