FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedPain relief in labour

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
busybee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pain relief in labour
    Posted: 08 December 2009 at 8:32am
Up to now I have been convinced that I will be having an epidural for the pain in labour and now I am not too sure and it has turned my view of labour on its head. Apparently it slows down labour and increases the likelihood of a forcepts/ventouse delivery or a c section dramatically. And I am dead set against forcepts/ventouse. I don't really think hypnotherapy or breathing is going to do it for me as far as pain relief goes, I am someone that grabs for the panadol at the slightest idea of a headache. I would love to hear what you guys think. Anything really...anyone had a good vb after epidural, anyone using the gas or other pain relief...and anyone that went all natural..or waterbirth?
Sponsored Links

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2009 at 10:54am
I've got a low pain threshold & to my surprise I went completely drug free. I'm like you normally, headache = panadol.

I think the best "trick" for me was to divert where I was feeling pain. So when all my pain was in my tum, I got DH to massage my back really hard.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
Kirstine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kirstine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2009 at 12:25pm
i had an epi and i don't think it made the labour longer, my active labour was only 4 hours. you won't really have the choice if forceps or vontouse are needed - if your baby is getting stressed and needs to get out quick you will want them to do what ever it takes to get baby out. my babies heart rate was dropping so vontouse was needed. in my opinion thats a better option than a c-section!

to me gas was more of something to concentrate on during contractions, pethadine didin't do much either. you really won't know until your in labour what you will need. its best to keep an open mind.

also with the epi i was able to push fine even though i had a top up quite close to her needing to come out.
scribe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scribe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2009 at 2:39pm
Well I had an all natural birth - no pain relief - and it still lead to ventouse (after her heart rate started dropping), unfortunately you just don't know how things will go.
kiwisj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwisj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2009 at 3:04am
I intended on having a natural birth, no pain relief, but it didn't work out that way. After 16hrs of active labour my obstetrician convinced me to have an epi (they'd been trying to stop my contractions up till that point, DS was 8 weeks early).. I would do it again if I needed too - the only side effect I had was feeling more numb on one side than the other, but I could still feel enough pressure to know when I needed to push and when it was "time." DS arrived fairly swiftly once I let him and I think the epi actually helped me relax and get some rest before I had to do the real hard work

Basically, anything can happen. Don't rule it out completely if you think you might want one. But by all means go in with an open mind that you might NOT want drugs/pain relief at all.
SJ
Callum - Dec 2008
Daniel - Oct 2010
jaycee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaycee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2009 at 8:03am
I second what kiwisj said - go in with an open mind. I was not sure what I wanted (except not pethidine - the idea that once it was in, that was it and what if you don't like it).

With Amy I had gas and it was enough - as Kirstine
said, it focuses your breathing and for me that was enough. With Sophie it was totally natural. I think with her birth it was so fast and smooth because I was so active in the earlier part of my labour - up and walking about at the park for playgroup .

Just remember an epi is not compulsory (even though you would think it is some times) and it is your birth, your body and your baby.

Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2009 at 12:02pm
I had an epidural, it was lovely! My labour was long and horrible, and by the time I got the epidural Id been in labour(from when my waters broke) for about 45 hours I was 6c after 45 hours of labour so dilating very slowly, once I got the epi and could relax I went to 9.5 pretty quickly!

I did end up with an emergency c section, but that's only because I had a lip of cervix in the way that wouldn't move and Caden couldn't come down, and Id been in labour for far to long, nothing to do with the epidural.

I had planned on having a natural water birth, but things went pear shaped and I ended up being transferred to Middlemore Hospital as labour wasn't progressing well, so you just never know whats going to happen.

I say don't make any set in stone decisions as things often don't go to plan, and at the time you really don't give a flying **** what they do to get the baby out lol

ETA-I had pethidine and used the gas too, the gas was good at helping me keep my breathing steady which helped heaps through the worst of the contractions!

Edited by Sheza

Delli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2009 at 2:03pm
I thought I had a reasonably good pain threshold but labour ended up progressing quite slowly and so by the end of it I was on the Gas (and while going through transition was telling them I needed an Epidural ).

The things I would do differently (I think) is move around a bit more and stay in the hospital shower longer. I found the shower much better than the bath but didn't tell my midwife that I would rather be in the shower than get out and have an examination to see how far along I was - I should have said just leave me here a bit longer!

And I kinda got stuck on my back on the bed, I think I should have got up or turned over but I was a bit out of it and wasn't thinking straight and then started on the gas and it sounds silly but at the time I didn't think I was allowed move from my position otherwise I wouldn't be able to have the Gas. (even though I knew before that I was allowed to. I just wasn't thinking straight I guess.). I'm glad they made me turn over onto my hands and knees during transition.

With the Gas, I still felt the contractions...... They were still bloody sore. And if I sucked in the Gas too quickly (taking short fast breaths instead of deep breaths) - I felt nauseous and spewed up. It did give me something to concentrate on though and gave me something to bite on during the start of pushing.

But mostly - I agree with all of the others about going into it without any plans set in stone. Everyone and every labour is different! Hard to remember once you are in labour but the pain stops as soon as bubs is out (and I found that the pain didn't bother me or had lessened or wasn't there when I was pushing).

Sorry a bit rambling

amykt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amykt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2009 at 5:31pm
I would highly recommed the epidural! I absolutely LOVED it and wouldn't do it any other way.

I had only been in labour for a couple of hours when I turned up to the hopsital and so was only 2-3cm. I tried the gas, but to be honest, it just made me feel spaced out and didn't do much for the pain at all. So I requested the epidural and it was fantastic as from then on I felt absolutely no pain whatsoever. When it came time to push, I got another top-up of the epidural quickly, and the midwife put a mirror down there so I could see what was happening. I found that I could still push well as the epidural blocked the pain, but I could still feel the pressure of my muscles so it was perfect. Jaxon was born after 30 minutes of pushing - a total of 10 hours labour so not very long at all. The epidural can slow your labour, but they can give you syntocin to reverse this effect and speed it back up again.

Labour scared the heck out of me initially, but since going through it with my epidural I can see there's nothing to worry about - it was such a breeze! There really doesn't have to be any pain if you don't want there to be
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2009 at 6:24pm
This is great as I was wanting an epidural, but after antenatal classes though maybe I wouldn't... At the moment I have decided to go as long as I can without pain relief but MW has agreed to tell me when I won't be able to have an epidural so I can decide if I should have one or not, until then I'm just going to try breathing and gas.
WestiesGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestiesGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2009 at 12:30am
I have a really low pain threshold and like you as soon as I feel a headache coming on I take panadol.

However, I had a total drug free labour and birth and that is the way I wanted it. Having said that, I had a super fast 3.5 hour labour start to finish so there wasnt time for drugs even if I did want them.

I did however have in my birth plan that if I needed/asked for drugs that I started with gas and then if needed an epi. I didnt want Morphine (pethadine not given here as takes longer to expel from the body) cos I didnt want me or my bubs to be sleepy once he was born.

I say have a plan but go with an open mind. The body is an amazing machine and does amazing things. Remember (and this is what I kept telling myseld) each contraction you do is one less you have to do again
Our Angel July 08 Gone but not forgotten

And to complete our family, our princess has arrived
X View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2009 at 9:37am
I would definitely say keep an open mind. My friend attended the "natural childbirth" antenatal classes at Birthcare (the ones where drugs are not even discussed because everyone has decided to go drug-free), & of the 8 ladies in her class, only ONE ended up not having the epidural. I think it's fine to have a plan for your birth, but when you've never actually experienced the pain of childbirth I just don't think it's realistic to say I DEFINITELY don't want an epidural.

I had an epidural & it was bliss. I went from being in the most pain I had ever been in to being in no pain at all. Yes, I did end up having an emergency C section, but the MW says I can't blame that on the epidural. And in fact if I hadn't had the epidural in, they would've had to knock me out for the crash C section. As it was I had a top up just before being wheeled into theatre & the aneasthetist had a mask ready to knock me out in case the top up didn't have time to take effect. If it wasn't for that epidural I would've missed the whole delivery completely.

I say just keep an open mind. If you don't need the epidural, then great, but you shouldn't feel like a failure if you decide to have one. Labour is bloody painful

mamanee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamanee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2009 at 11:18am
I had ALL the drugs and nothing worked for me, I still wanted to crawl out of my own skin or be shot.

Pethidine did absolutely nothing for me, and I could barely keep my eyes open for the first few days in hospital.

I overdosed on the gas three times because I was breathing it in so fast, and I felt so out of it, I was yelling alsorts of ridiculous things.

Epidural only worked down one side so all the pain was concentrated on the other side which was probably worse.

The only thing that took the pain away was the spinal they put in me 10 minutes before my c-section.
Mamma2N View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mamma2N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2009 at 11:29am
Originally posted by Odettenz Odettenz wrote:

but when you've never actually experienced the pain of childbirth I just don't think it's realistic to say I DEFINITELY don't want an epidural.

I totally disagree with this statement! It IS realistic to want and have a drug-free labour and not even discuss an epidural. I birthed in a birthing unit where epidurals aren't even on the menu! Women have been birthing babies for centuries and the invention of epidurals are a relatively recent thing.

Our bodies like a PP said, are amazing - we were made to birth our babies naturally (of course there are women who for different reasons need drugs & intervention during labour) but statistically you are more likely to have a straight forward birth!

To the OP - if you don't want an epidural you by all means don't need to have one! In terms of pain relief, I think that the best thing that worked for me, was preparing myself mentally. That's not to say it didn't hurt, but I knew I wouldn't die from it and it was all bringing me one step closer to my baby.   
From all the advice I read and heard about, this approach seemed to be the most important - Don't fight the pain, this ends up working against you! And I know you said you didn't think much of breathing, but I found my breathing kept me focused - long deep breathing. As soon as I started short sharp breathing it hurt a heck load more.

Another option is birthing at home/birthing unit where epidurals/forceps/ventouse aren't available? Perhaps, just a thought, although you have to be somewhere you feel 100% comfortable.

Good luck!
amykt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amykt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2009 at 2:13pm
I kind of get the feeling that lots of people are against epidurals - out of curiosity, is someone able to explain to me what the reason for this is? I would have thought that given the option of pain or no pain, most people would choose no pain?
first View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote first Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2009 at 2:54pm
I guess its thinking of the baby. Epidurals tend to have an on going effect on the labour, many leading to assisted births.
I also think people just like to know that they can do it naturally without the aid of medical intervention.

toniellis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toniellis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2009 at 2:54pm
Epidurals can have side effects like slowing down labour, nausea, vomiting & more, they are also not guaranteed to take the pain away as sometimes they only work on one side or leave gaps.
Both times that I had an epidural I ended up with c-sections & my one natural birth was awesome so personally I will be doing it that way again

I do have a very low pain threshold & the contractions hurt like hell BUT I worked through them ok & I actually found pushing to be completely painless.
I don't remember having transistion at all either but it must have happened LoL

The thing is that you just don't know how things are going to go until you are in labour.
It is a lot easier to plan for a natural birth & then ask for epis etc later if you find you need them but you can't really do it the other way around....
Mum to Alex (11), Blaire (10) & Erika (8) and Damien (6)

Successful HWB VBA2Cs!
Soon to be surrogate
amykt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amykt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2009 at 3:20pm
hmmm interesting - everyone has such different experiences huh? my epidural was pretty much textbook perfect so i guess i have trouble understanding why everyone doesn't want one.

busybee - i think the answer to your question is to keep an open mind. only you can decide what is best for you, and until you actually start having contractions and go into labour it's hard to make any hard and fast decisions. just go with the flow and take it as it comes - that would be my advice
WestiesGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestiesGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2009 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by toniellis toniellis wrote:

I do have a very low pain threshold & the contractions hurt like hell BUT I worked through them ok & I actually found pushing to be completely painless.
I don't remember having transistion at all either but it must have happened LoL

You totally just wrote about me and my labour too. I dont remember the transition stage either but I know it happened cos its the only 30 minutes of my entire labour I dont remember

Amy for me choosing not to have an epi or other drugs (it was in my BP if needed though) was cos I wanted my body to labour for me. I trusted my body that I could do it naturally. And the other reason was cos I didnt want any drugs to pass through the placenta, again just my personal choice of drug free. I prepared myself mentally to give birth and read up a lot before labour started.

It hurt and it hurt like a mofo but I just focused on the contractions one at a time, let me body do its thing and breathed through the pain. Although like toniellis said the pushing part was painless, except for the crowning
Our Angel July 08 Gone but not forgotten

And to complete our family, our princess has arrived
X View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2009 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by amykt amykt wrote:

hmmm interesting - everyone has such different experiences huh? my epidural was pretty much textbook perfect so i guess i have trouble understanding why everyone doesn't want one.

busybee - i think the answer to your question is to keep an open mind. only you can decide what is best for you, and until you actually start having contractions and go into labour it's hard to make any hard and fast decisions. just go with the flow and take it as it comes - that would be my advice

I agree. Just keep an open mind.

I think it's fine to not want any pain relief, but I don't think you should beat yourself up if you decide to have an epidural. It's not failure in any way. Just because women have been giving birth since the beginning of time & didn't use to have any pain relief, doesn't mean women shouldn't have pain relief in our modern times. Times change. New technology becomes available.

My personal view on it is that no-one gives you a medal for doing it without drugs. I wouldn't go to the dentist & have a root canal without an aneasthetic, so why would I go through labour (which is apparently one of the most painful human experiences) without one. Yes, yes, I know it's a positive pain & it's for a good cause, but that doesn't mean I have to suffer if I don't want to.

I admire all the ladies who have chosen to do it without drugs, but personally, I'm not up to it. And I don't see myself as a failure or a coward because of it. Modern technology gave me the option of not being in excruciating pain for hours & hours & I took it. And I'm not ashamed to say. And my son turned out perfectly healthy (even if he did come out by C section eventually). I wouldn't change a thing. if I could do it again.

Good luck with your decision.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>