FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFeeling down?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Snappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Feeling down?
    Posted: 09 March 2010 at 8:27am
I can't quite figure out what is wrong with me. I went to bed last night feeling lousy and I thought it was about time I did something about it. I'm a little bit reluctant to see a doctor because last time I did that it affected my life insurance and health insurance. I want to avoid them if I can!

The thing is, I don't know WHAT it is. I wake up in the morning and its NOT black, and I do want to go out with friends and participate in the usual things I do.. so it can't be depression, right? I do cry a lot though..

I am very stressed out, DH can't understand why and told me I need to tell him exactly what it is that I am so stressed out about so he can help me. I can't even tell him specifically what it is! I find my patience for the kids is pretty much 0, and I always feel sorry for myself during the day when the kids play up, and DH comes home and it gets even worse, especially if he comes home then goes to the Gym..

We need to find a new place to live, which is also annoying me, as well as the real estate agent/landlord in our house almost every day doing "something". Every place we look at is at least $30 more expensive per week, and we've just had our child disability allowance cancelled ($42 a week!) because apparently WINZ have knuckled down and unless you are being hospitalised constantly for asthma you can't get it anymore. So I guess I'm freaking out about how we are going to survive!

'Then there's the business thing, which appears to be not going anywhere, and I think perhaps Im not the right type of person to be running it because I am incredibly sensitive.. I get really shaky before opening my business emails, because I'm afraid its someone complaining The worst thing is im not bringing in much money (in fact I have two bookings for march!) so that is making me feel even worse. I think I might have to consider a part time job because if we go another week without money we will be screwed!
I have been trying incredibly hard to get it going, and I spend so much time on the computer doing things to promote it.

Another thing that bothers me is that I have been going to the Gym to make time for myself, and I've had nothing but negative comments over the last month so that is making me feel down too. I know as long as I feel good, then thats the main thing, but its just getting to the point where I am incredibly sensitive and perhaps I just dont have the confidence in myself to shake it off and get on with it.

I also had a friend call me the other night to ask how J was and I spent about half an hour talking her ear off without even giving her a chance to talk about herself.. I hung up the phone and then called her back to apologise.. but I wonder if that might be a sign that I'm going a bit batty!! or perhaps with DH being at work and me not getting out much that I miss having someone to talk to?

So whats wrong with me? Is it anxiety or am I just a wee bit stressed?
Sponsored Links

lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2010 at 8:40am
First of all ...

I'm not a doctor so I cant "diagnose", but to me it sounds like you a just down on life .. although it could be depression, I dont think depressed people are constantly depressed, so I would suggest a chat to the gp wouldnt go awry.

On the business front .. you are an AMAZING photographer, I wouldnt have asked you to come all the way to Auckland and then arrange photo sessions for Auckland Mums if I didnt think so!

You just have to remember that at this time of the year people dont have much disposable income as most are still paying off their Christmas bills and building up a business takes time.

On the gym front .. I know its hard but I would ignore it .. I constantly get comments, no matter what size I am or what level of activity im doing .. while I was pregnant it was people stating how I should exercise more .. when im competition training people say I exercise too much, one day Im too skinny, the next day Im too fat .. you just cant win, so as long as YOU feel happy .. stuff them all. And ive seen you, your gorgy! There all just jealous they dont look like you.

And if you ever need a chat .. im always around
Mummy to Issy (3) and Elias (18 months)

I did it .. 41 kgs gone! From flab to fab in under a year LFs weight blog
myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2010 at 9:25am
I am sorry to hear that you are feeling down. Like lilfatty I am not a doctor but you do seem to be feeling some of the same things I was when I discovered I had PND. You may or may not have it, I am not sure but the Mothers Matter website is great and there is a questionnaire on there you can look at which will give you an idea if you do have PND. It also has lots of other info about anxiety as well.
It may just be that you have alot going on and it is getting on top of you. Whatever it is I hope you find a solution
Lindsey

MyLilSquishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyLilSquishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2010 at 9:44am
Depression can come and go in waves. ive been dealing with it most of my life, my father, cousin and nana all have it... and i was in the same boat as you... The world wasn't dark, still wanted to go out with friends, i didnt want to curl up, but it still seemed like things were just wrong. in my case it was my situation that was causing problems and i was able to remove myself from the situation and that helped so much that i didnt even need medication. i think a chat to your MW or GP is a good idea, because then they can diagnose whether or not it is in fact depression.

im not saying you do have depression, im saying that i did with the same "symptoms"

with your business, would you be able to get someone to deal with the emails and bookings? that way you wont be feeling anxious about possible complaints...? have you said to OH that you dont know why you feel like this... you just do?

i really and truly hope that you start feeling better

if you ever want to chat/unload then feel free to pm me
Bobbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2010 at 10:48am
When I had PND I always wanted to go out and do stuff and in the weekends when I was with DH I was pretty much fine. Not saying you do have it just saying don't think you don't just because of that.

Sounds like you're majorly stressed regardless.

I'm not sure what to suggest other than seeing a medical professional but I do understand why you don't want to do that.

Oh and I totally hear you on the rents

Snappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2010 at 11:56am
I've had PND before, it was bad.. but like you pointed out Bobbie, my mood does depend on whether DH is home etc.

I was just chatting with a friend and I realised I am fine as long as I don't have the kids to deal with - when Janaya was in hospital I seemed to have some sort of relief It was like I no longer had to do my normal mother duties, and could just stay with Janaya in hospital and forget about everything else that was going on outside it.

I also seem to be switched off most of the time, Janaya will be sitting there talking to me and Im in my own little world (sounds like I'm a bit of a nutter!) I hear her nattering and just switch off.

Im a little afraid of telling DH I am depressed, because he is a male and just doesn't understand.. and I think he will get stressed out about it. Perhaps I should just take myself off to the doctors?
Snappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2010 at 11:58am
Oh, and thank you ladies
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2010 at 1:00pm
you could take yourself to the doctors or try taking a supplement first and see if that changes anyhting. there is st johns wort for depression, or how bout some evening primrose oil - great for PMT and mood changes and also great for skin - or how bout that 30 plus stuff ...

and next time someone starts making negative comments about they gym or your body or anything, just pretend it is janaya and switch off!

oh and sometimes a few early nights helps make me feel a bit more sane!

caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2010 at 1:03pm
I don't know if your depressed I'm not a Doctor, so can't say.

It does seem you have a lot going on in your life though, and sound stressed.

Unfortunately you can't take a holiday from your life, as nice as that would be.

I agree with Lilfatty that you are a great photographer and it takes a while for this type of business to get off the ground, have you joined the local business network - ours offered free training on things like how to attract customers, marketing etc - really helpful and great learning.

Sounds to me like you are being very hard on yourself, your doing a great job with you business and raising your kids, give yourself a pat on the back for all the things you have achieved.

I'm sure once you've got your accommodation sorted you'll feel more settled, have you thought about getting a part-time job in a Photo lab or similar to earn a few extra $$'s if you need it and help you develop your photography.

Thought you might like some of these.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
Bobbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2010 at 3:00pm
I had a thought while I was out earlier.
My MW told me to take 2 fish oil tabs 3 times a day as apparently it's meant to be good to counteract depression.

Daizy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daizy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2010 at 5:22pm

LouD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2010 at 5:33pm
HUGS !!!! sux to be female sometimes!!! theres always so much going on with us that its hard to keep up. I had a day yesterday that i wanted to just cry, i felt really overwhelmed like i had a million jobs that needed to be done........but i think i was just plainly tired and tuckered out. cos today i feel better. but i still feel a bit overwhelmed with a busy week.........

Do you feel good when your at the gym? I found exercise was my saviour.......and i agree with lilfatty your gonna get comments regardless....ive had the very same sort all contradicting so its a case of ignoring those people, they are probably just jealous cos they cant get their lazy butts off the couch.

Try the fish oil as recommended and also st johns wort is also good.
I understand about the life insurance thing. I went through a bout of this last year and even though the doc gave me antidressants that i didnt get the script i had to prove that to the life insurance people.    My DH was against me taking the antidepressants so i kept pushing through and got there.

life is just hard and stressful at the moment!!! it will get easier....... Go easy on yourself, your only one person and can only do so much and remember there is always a million ears on here and at least you dont have to ask how we are going......

hope things pick up for you soon

Edited by Chickielou
pepsi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepsi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2010 at 5:47pm
It really sucks to hear you're going through this. You are such a sweet person, and it's awful to think you're not feeling so great emotionally :(

I know nothing about depression or anything, but you certainly sound like you're lacking in self confidence. You are a fantastic photographer, and anyone who has seen your work knows this. You are also a total stunner, so I'm not even sure how you could get negative comments at the gym?!?!

Personally I don't reckon it's an entirely terrible idea to have a part time job. Not only will it ease the pressure financially, but it will give you some time away from the home (kids), and interaction with others. Plus, there is no reason why you can't continue your business as well because it's obviously something you enjoy and are great at.

It's not easy running any kind of online business when you have little or no advertising budget, I go through the same thing with Kidsgear, but I love doing it which is what keeps me going. Just keep plugging away, and believe in yourself.

flakesitchyfeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flakesitchyfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2010 at 5:53pm
Just to second the fish oil thing, I'm not depressed but stuggling moreso then last pregnancy with hormones and emotion, DH has been diagnosed with depression, and we've both started taking them recently.

It's Amazing Clear thought patterns (not that you'd tell with how porely written this is, multitasking), and improved energy for us both
http://eggsineachbasket.blogspot.com/
Snappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2010 at 6:43pm
Oh you ladies are lovely

I might just try the fishoil, sounds great!

I think I really am just stuck in a rut. I felt a bit better once I vented and wrote everything down that was bothering me.

It doesn't work out financially viable for me to work part-time, but it might be one of those things I just need to do for myself, eh?

I don't get comments "at" the gym, its just a lot of people who think I need to be told I am skinny. Things like "Oh, how long do you spend at the gym? All day?!" or "Oh, are you eating tea?" A friend was over the other day and she told me that another person had seen me recently and thought that I looked skinny and had no ass, then laughed. And of course I started to think down about it all and that perhaps I actually look awful now since no-one has anything nice to say (apart from you lovely ladies, thank you :) ) I did see someone about my weight and she said she thought I was a healthy size, BMI is still within range etc..

When I was fat I never had anyone tell me I was fat, lol.
caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2010 at 6:55pm
Those people are only jealous, your gorgeous and anyone who says otherwise is sour-grapes.

People are so used to seeing fatties, when they see someone of healthy weight the simply seem thin.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
pepsi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepsi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2010 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by caliandjack caliandjack wrote:

Those people are only jealous, your gorgeous and anyone who says otherwise is sour-grapes.

People are so used to seeing fatties, when they see someone of healthy weight the simply seem thin.

Haha, that is totally true!
pepsi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepsi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2010 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by kaiz231 kaiz231 wrote:

It doesn't work out financially viable for me to work part-time, but it might be one of those things I just need to do for myself, eh?

Well as long as you don't end up worse off, then the benefits are still there in terms of the break away from home. Plus, if you got yourself a job related to photography/cameras/processing then maybe you can make that work to your advantage as well? haha
FionaO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2010 at 7:16pm
Massive hugs - I could have written this post about 10 days ago - except the details about kids/business.

I felt EXACTLY the same, teary all the time, tired, stress, anxious and just useless at the same tie.

Its a truly horrid feeling.

I did go to the Dr as i realised last saturday when I got up was having breakfast with Ds and DH that there was really no reason to have tears streaming down my face.

Dr said that being a mum, trying to work or in your case running a business is hard hard work and I needed to be less hard on myself, we talked through many things, and I had the option of anti depressants, but she did suggest to me to excersize pretty much every day for 2/3 weeks, to try and boost the happy hormones to see if I felt like I could manage my way through it.

Long story short, its not all gone away but I am feeling brighter, if you are already doing that then I do think its worth a visit, if nothing else talking to someone impartial can help, sometimes things are all just a bit too much.

My Dr had a great analogy when you have a lot going on its like walking outside your house in the dark, it only takes a tiny thing and you jump out your skin where as in the daylight you would cope just fine - this made a lot of sense to me.

talking/ranting/venting does help as does some time to yourself if you can get it.

Oh and as for random people making comments - grrrrrrrrrrrr why do people do it.

Anyway hope you feel better soon!!

][/URL]

emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2010 at 8:54pm
I can relate to most of what you said in your OP kaiz

Life is hard, but I think the best thing would be to talk to your doctor (they're not there just to give you drugs, they're there to help before you really need it) and find some sort of part time job, or even some volunteering.

I discovered I couldn't be a SAHM, I got down/depressed at home, so now I'm working 4-5 days a week and I'm a much better mum because of it, in the times I see the kids. I also take fluox, fish oil capsules, centrum and often have a boost drink in the morning which helps me keep on top of things.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>