FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedPremature Baby?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Tastic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Premature Baby?
    Posted: 28 August 2009 at 6:34pm
Id love to hear from anyone who has had a premature baby - micro preemie
Sponsored Links

mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2009 at 12:19am
hey there Trish, I hope you find someone to share experiences with. Failing that, I know of a great site and support group formed by one of the mums that came through our unit, and the ladies on there have all had micro-prems... a fair few have come through our unit but i do know that there are a few from other places too so I am sure that you could join up with them as well. :)

http://earlyarrivals.org.nz/

check it out if you like.
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

KH25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KH25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2009 at 8:28am
Janine - cool site! I looked for a NZ site when I had Ashleigh but there wasn't anything around. I'm sure it will be very useful to mums of prems

Trish - I think you know my story by now lol, how is Aidan doing?
Kelly, mum to DD, 19Jun06 (26wks 1lb15oz) DS1, 24Oct10 (32wks 4lb11oz) and DS2, 31Dec11 (32wks, 4lb11)
meggls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meggls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2009 at 10:25am
Hi Trish,

My first baby was due 23 Oct 09, however decided to make a very early entrance at 28 weeks on 1 Aug, weighing 3lbs 1oz. We were told she was big for her gestation, although to us she was tiny.

As Jade was born in Whangarei, we were flown to Auckland City Hospital within a few hours of her arriving, and she has been in level 3 NICU for the last 3 and a half weeks. A couple of days ago she was moved to level 2, and yesterday we were transferred back to Whangarei where we've been told she'll probably stay for another month.

She is doing as well as can be expected, but to be honest I've found the move quite hard to deal with, I think in part because as she's our first baby, I have kind of associated being her mum with auckland hosp. and its staff - now all of a sudden places, routines and people are different, so I am trying to get used to that at the moment, which to be honest, I'm having a bit of a hard time dealing with.

I know we're half way there to getting home now, she is 32 weeks today, but sometimes I wonder if its ever going to end! Each day is one more day closer to bringing her home, which we are thankful for, but sometimes the 'why did this happen to me?' train of thought plays over and over in my mind. Although I realise I'm not the only one this has happened to, sometimes it feels like it!   

Would also love to hear from anyone with any advice on anything really.. I'm not too sure what to expect once we are actually able to bring her home, as exciting as the prospect is.   

Megs
Tastic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2009 at 12:35pm
opps forgeot this post
Kelly - Aidan is doing great now! we had our pead appointment about 6 weeks ago and we are now on yearly visits which is a great thing
How is Ashleigh doing?
I can't believe Aidan will be 3 in a couple of months

Megs - Welcome to OB how is little Jade doing? 3lb 1 oz is a good weight at 28 weeks - my aidan was big for his gestation too 2lb 8oz at 26 weeks 5 days
I constantly thought ' why me?' and I know how hard a road it can be in the NICU, we were in there for 115 days in total.
when do they think Jade will be home?
yay for being back to a hospital closer to home - she must be doing VERY well!
big hug you can always PM me if you want to chat at anytime
NikkiB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NikkiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2009 at 9:24am
I must go and check out that website!

My little one was born at 26 weeks, 1 day gestation, weighting 1.180kgs. In total, we spent just over 5 months in hospital. We also did 6 weeks in level 3 NICU Auckland. I found going back to Wgtn very difficult to deal with. In fact each hospital transfer we did, I found hard.

How is everything going now Meggls?
A very lucky mummy to two gorgeous boys:
RB 3/10/2008
JB 29/12/2009
meggls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meggls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2009 at 3:36pm
Hey thanks everyone,

Afer 8 1/2 weeks in hospital we were finally able to bring Jade home on 30 September. We consider ourselves very lucky to have been able to do so before she was full term (she was 36 weeks).

The move to Whangarei Hosp. proved to be a bit harder for us than we anticipated - as I was unable to stay at the hospital with Jade until she was breastfeeling (which wasnt until the last 7 days she was in there) I had to travel an hour every morning to Whangarei, and an hour home each night which as you can imagine was a bit of an emotional roller coaster at times. The first few weeks I cried every time I had to leave her.

I agree with you NikkiB, transferring hospitals was one of the hardest things we had to deal with. How is your little one now?

We have all settled in well back at home, at the last visit from the outreach nurse she was 5lbs 12oz, so hopefully from here on out she'll keep gaining more weight consistently.

Thank you Tastic, we are very proud of her. How old is your wee man now?
NikkiB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NikkiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2009 at 8:21pm
Great to hear you are home now meggls Isn't it a great feeling to have that all behind you I will never take for granted having both of my boys home together.

My son is doing ok. He's still go many health issues, but he surprises me everyday on how far he has come

At least you are home in the warmer months too, hopefully there are a lot less bugs are.
RB 3/10/2008
JB 29/12/2009
Tastic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2009 at 1:59pm
Nikki - what a great weight at that gestation!
how is he doing now? I found the colder months awful as he caught every single bug around and it felt like Aidan was constantly sick

Megs - sorry I didn't reply earlier but WOOHOO for Jade coming home, you must be so pleased and well done Jade for being a little fighter and making it home before her due date! that is awesome

Aidan is doing great! he is turning 3 next month - 26th November and if you look at him you would never guess he was so early (he's not technically 3 till the 27th Feb though)

hope all our little fighters are doing well
NikkiB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NikkiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2009 at 8:03pm
Tastic, sorry its taken me so long to reply. After spending so much time in hospital, I did everything I could to keep Jacob out of hospital during the winter months. So basically, we didn't go anywhere all winter and if we did, Jacob was under his storm cover. Thankfully, we only had to go to hospital twice since Jacob left in May

Happy belated 3rd birthday to Aidan
RB 3/10/2008
JB 29/12/2009
NikkiB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NikkiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2010 at 12:51pm
I thought I'd bump this thread again, just in case someone wants to chat in here

Has anyone else seen the article in Little Treasures mag about prem babies? I thought it made for very interesting reading.
RB 3/10/2008
JB 29/12/2009
Juzzo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juzzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2010 at 8:36pm
NikkiB, Not sure if you've heard of us or not but my son Harlow was born 19 Nov last year at 24 wks 6 days gestation weighing 725gms. I haven't read the Little treasures magazine, is that this months article?

We are definately struggling here. I love Harlow so much but I feel like a sinking ship sometimes. We managed to bring him home early March but we've had 3 re admissions already as he is such a poor feeder.    He's on oxygen at home for growth, but he is so lethargic that he isn't allowed to leave the house just yet and I am sooooo worried about him picking up something as simple as a cold and with 3 older brothers and winter approaching I'm sure it's bound to happen at some point.   I see you're WGTN based, where abouts are you?

Tastic - did you ever get re-admitted during the cold/flu season with Aidan?
Tastic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2010 at 11:06pm
Nikki - no I didn't read it

Justine - yes we did, and we ended up back on oxygen for almost a week while he 'got over it' then at home we just made sure the heater was on 24/7, we put a hottie in his bed a few minutes before he went down (removing it once he was down of course) just to keep his bed warm.
one thing I wish I had brought were those baby legs, would of kept his wee legs warmer during a bum change etc
bath time we kept to the day time and we bathed him in the lounge with the heater on

I hope he is fine during the up coming season!
NikkiB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NikkiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2010 at 7:21am
H Juzzo. Wow, Harlow was early!!!

The story is in this month's article. I thought it was very interesting and it will give people a bit of insight to what we all have been through.

I totally understand your fears. We are approaching our second winter now and I'm still paranoid that we'll end up back in hospital again. Jacob came home in June last year, we spent (more or less) the whole winter at home. Jacob was also on home oxygen because of his chronic lung disease. We were admitted twice to hospital last winter. I'm a little bit luckier I guess, my 2 1/2 year old isn't at kindy yet, so isn't bringing home any bugs. We make people stay away if they are sick and whenever we go out in a croud, we keep Jacob under his storm cover in his pram.

All you can really do is keep him warm, well rested and away from as many bugs as you can.

I'm in Lower Hutt, where abouts are you?
RB 3/10/2008
JB 29/12/2009
Juzzo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juzzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2010 at 12:54pm
Thanks Tastic, what are baby legs????? I haven't heard of them before.   How on earth did you afford to have the heater running 24hrs a day all through winter?!   Are you feeling better today?

NikkiB - I'll have to get a copy and have a wee read. Do you venture out at all????   I think I"ll go insane soon! NICU have us housebound for now due to low energy levels and social welfare are trying to figure out if we're eligible for any kind of carer assistance as I have a 7, 4 and 2 year old so we have lots of school/kindy runs to do.    We're in Aotea, near Papakowhai, do you know where that is?    Is Jacob still on oxygen? How bad was it when you were re-admitted over winter?

Sorry, lots of questions ladies, thanks for the info tho!
Juzzo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juzzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2010 at 1:22pm
Oh one more question, and I can't remember if you've told me this already Tastic, but did either of you end up tube feeding at home? If so, how long for?    
NikkiB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NikkiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2010 at 2:19pm
Yep, I know the area where you live. We don't really get out much, with sleeping times and feeding times being all over the place.

Jacob isn't on oxygen most of the time now but I still carry an oxygen cylinder and his saturation monitor around with us. I'm going to hold onto his oxygen for as long as I can, as I know he'll need it if he catches a cold.

I hated being admitted to hospital. Jacob has some other medical problems and I'd find they would freak and admit us straight away. I found it so difficult because we had already spent 5 months in hospital and I missed my other son so much. Also, finding child care for my other son was a nightmare and putting him into daycare just wasn't an option for us.

Since June, we have been eligible for respite care. We got 52 days allowed from June 09 to June 10, which is great, but we had to find someone who could look after Jacob for us. I'm very lucky, I've got a nurse who looks after Jacob a morning a fortnight - gives me time to spend with my oldest son and run some errands. The social worker at Hutt Hospital organsied for us to be assessed for respite care.

Jacob has always been tube feed and still is. Mind you, in the last 3 weeks he has decided to finally eat!!! Just little amounts, but at least we now know that he can eat
RB 3/10/2008
JB 29/12/2009
Juzzo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juzzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2010 at 2:32pm
My gosh NikkiB, that sounds rather difficult.   Yay to the eating! I can see why that would be such an emormous hurdle!   Does he get his entire feed through his tube or did you try bottle/breastfeeding?    Sorry to ask such a difficult question but do you feel like it's affected your bond with him?

We initially came home tube feeding but we were re-admitted within 20hrs because Harlow picked up a virus and at that point I said I didn't want to tube feed at home. So they put him on a lower amount of EBM and added Duocal and that has helped but he's now starting to run out of steam again. The Homecare nurse has said that an NGT is the only option next. I'm so reluctant to tube feed as I feel that my bond with him may not be the same.

Thank goodness you get respite care, how does your eldest son cope?
Raspberryjam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raspberryjam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2010 at 3:20pm
Hi, Im lurking, from the heart kids thread..

Just wanted to say Juzzo I did half and half as Milla didnt have the energy to take a full feed from me and we had to fatten her up super quick - duocal made her sick too - we had and still have a really strong bond - She breastfed (and was topped up )- mainly for comfort til 4 months then tube and bottle for another month then bottle only after that, except for a week or so while we were back in hospital.

Maybe you could offer him the bottle then top him up or offer him the breast while you tube feed him?A few mums on our ward did it like that, although there babies were a good size, its a bit harder when there isnt a lot of baby to hang on to - as you will know
You guys are doing so well , Im sure little Harlow knows he has a very special Mummy

Edited by Raspberryjam
http://lilypie.com]
Juzzo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juzzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2010 at 3:34pm
Thanks Raspberryjam, good to hear of others having to do NGT's.   He's currently on bottles, I've got to ring Homecare on Monday so we'll see what happens but I suspect that's the road we're going to have to head down. Does Milla have a heart condition and that's why she didn't have the energy?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>