FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFormulas – what’s the difference

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Two Blondinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Blondinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Formulas – what’s the difference
    Posted: 02 April 2007 at 2:29pm
We’re thinking of changing Caitlin's formula to a "follow on" one.

She’s currently on the Karicare HA, but as her issues are not dietary related and it hasn’t made any difference to her issues (good or bad) we don’t see the point in her being on this now (also don’t see the point in paying $26 a tin when it doesn’t help her anymore than a $14 tin).

I noticed that there are brands that do a normal formular and also a Gold. What’s the difference? It’s not clear on the tins.

Is it right that the follow on ones have more calories than the starter ones as babies are using them up more with crawling etc? Is that the only difference between starter and follow on?

Also, what is everyone else using for their 8 ½ months old and older babies?

TIA
Sponsored Links

Nic01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nic01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2007 at 2:46pm
Can't really help with regards to the follow on formula, but I know that with the toddler milks - the gold ones have extra things in them like Omega 3 DHA
mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2007 at 2:47pm

We had Andrew on the plain S26 stuff (not the gold stuff). From what I know (and I have been out of formula for almost 18 months now) the gold stuff has more stuff in it for baby (can't remember the name of the stuff thou sorry, i'm sure someone will know).

The starter formula is for a baby under 6 months, the follow-on has more stuff in it for children (I would say calories).

I would say get a few packets instead of a can to start with and see how she goes with the normal stuff. If Karicare is working well with her just got to the 6+ formula and try it with her. If it works then great a cheaper formula for you. If not try others. I know you can't get S26 packets from the supermarket you have to go to a chemist (usually unichem) or try their website (wyeth nutrition I think they are).

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Blondinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2007 at 3:25pm
cool thanks ladies. I just emailed Heinz Nurture, Karicare and the S26 people for samples
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2007 at 3:41pm
I learnt just recently that the difference between standard and 'gold' formulas is that one is whey dominant and the other casein dominant. And that is the extent of my formula knowledge having never had a baby that can have standard formula
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Blondinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2007 at 3:45pm
which is Casein dominant? I know the Paed put Caitlin on the HA due to it being 100% whey based (would rather stick with the whey variety just to be on the safe side)
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2007 at 3:51pm
I have no idea! Sorry But someone will know! Or it will say on the front of the tin.

Really helpful I am
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
jax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2007 at 5:15pm
The follow on formulas are casein dominant, and besides more calories, have extra iron in them as babies are only born with roughly six months worth of iron stores. As far as I'm aware the S26 Gold (which is what we use) also has Omega 3 and more vitamins than the standard version - although we have always used Gold for both starter and follow-on.

And you can get S26 Gold single serve sachets from some supermarkets now, from memory they come in boxes of six.

Edited to add: I'm not 100% sure if they stock the S26 single serve packs in both starter *and* follow on, but the starter ones I got when we were flying to Australia back in November I think I bought from our local Countdown.

Edited by jax
Jacquie - Mama to Erin, 13.07.06 - Chief Cat Chaser & Marmite Sammie Eater

Love many, trust few, harm none. ~Anon~

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Blondinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2007 at 5:18pm
oh! I didn't know they were ALL casein dominant!?!?! If that's the case I'd rather keep her on the one she's on (she can stay on that until 12mths+).

There must be some that are Whey dominent due to the Casein being harder to diegest. Might have to do a bit more investigating I think
jax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2007 at 5:20pm
Ok, so that was a bit general, my bad ! I know the majority of the follow on ones are casein dominant, but I don't think they all would be. Whoops ! Sorry Toni...
Jacquie - Mama to Erin, 13.07.06 - Chief Cat Chaser & Marmite Sammie Eater

Love many, trust few, harm none. ~Anon~
Peace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2007 at 5:51pm
There are 2 different "types" of formula, whey and casein
Casein is what cows milk is dominant in and whey is what breast milk is dominant in.
As the follow on's and toddlers go.
The increase in iron, there is also a few more minerals but I can't remember what ones!
The Gold ones have the fish oil which improves concentration and what not.

All formula's have to be basically the same, it isn't that one is better than others but which one your baby is the most comfortable on.

There are some wonderful tips and information on the COSM site, in particular:
Infant feeding
AR formula (has the casein and whey info on it)

Edited by Peace
DD1 May 2006
DD2 March 2011
DD3 August 2012
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2007 at 7:08pm
I use the Nurture Follow On not the gold one. The gold one seems to bung Ella up real bad so we steer clear of it and have had no probs on this one. Shes gaining weight alot better on this one aswell. She was a light weight for awhile there lol
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2007 at 7:08pm
And the bargin is the one we are on is like $12 a can haha
EllenMumof2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EllenMumof2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2007 at 7:42pm

we are on S-26 gold follow on formula and it costs us $20 dollars both mean have been on s-26 gold.

Kalem 6!
KH25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KH25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2007 at 9:27am
Hey Toni, I have just started Ashleigh on the follow on (she is 6 months corrected age now). I was using the "normal" Karicare so just moved to the follow on Karicare (in the darker blue tin) I have got it in front of me and it says on the front Whey Dominant. It also says

"Karicare Follow on Formula is designed to meet the needs of growing infants 6 months or older. Recent recommendations discourage the use of ordinary cows milk for babies under 12 months of age. Karicare Follow on formula is whey based and specially formulated to provide more iron and essential vitamins compared to ordinary cows milk"

So yeah its got more iron and vitamins in it than the from birth formula   That is actually why I have changed Ashleigh as she has had low iron since birth and is on iron supplements so I thought this may help a bit.

Oh and it also says " Karicare 2 follow on formula is based on whey dominant cows milk proteins"

And gosh my touch typing has become shocking!!!!!!!

Edited by KH25
Kelly, mum to DD, 19Jun06 (26wks 1lb15oz) DS1, 24Oct10 (32wks 4lb11oz) and DS2, 31Dec11 (32wks, 4lb11)
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2007 at 11:21am

I had a mission trying to find formula for Tyrell. 4 supermarkets later I have the last 2 karicare Lactose Free tins in our area.

I am now at the stage of trying to find another brand that he can have, he is not allowed goats or soy....I wonder what it will leave me with?????

In my travels I see that you can buy single sachets of karicare, also the follow on ones. If you have no luck let me know and I can send you some.

mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2007 at 12:18pm
Amy, ring up Karicare and ask them where you can buy the formula from in your area. They should be able to tell you that.
I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2007 at 12:53pm

Thanks, I rang them. I can buy the formula direct and save $10 per tin.
I am so stocked. The only addition is a $5 courier fee.

Now it is worth calling them Toni as well as samples you may also be able to buy direct.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Blondinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2007 at 2:46pm
TRUE?!?!?! I didn't know that and certainly wasn't told that when advised by Paed to switch her to Karicare HA (I even called Karicare dietician at the time and also asked if it was subsidised at all - she could have said something! Grrrr)

Amy, I wonder if we could combine our orders and still get $5 courier fee since we live close to each other? That would save us heaps!
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2007 at 3:03pm

I am up for that. Just let me know the one you want. What price it is and I will compare when I place the order. I am sure you will save a few bucks too!

I am looking at placing an order on about Thursday.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>