FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMiss Universe

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
GuestGuest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GuestGuest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Miss Universe
    Posted: 24 August 2010 at 2:11pm
I was speaking to a friend about the the Miss Universe pagent yesterday and I was quite surprised by her reaction to it. She thinks that the pagent is disgusting, and represents blatant exploitation of women. I have never thought about it that way, I remember watching it when I was young and loved looking at all of the beautiful women. I've always thought it was just a bit of fun. What do you think?
Sponsored Links

.Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2010 at 2:13pm
I loved it when I was younger, I remember getting my pen and paper out and writing down my faves, and then trying to pick the winner! I haven't watched it for many years though. It doesn't bother me that it's on though... each to their own
Mr Mellow (16)
Miss Attitude (8)
Destructa Kid (3)

BugTeeny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BugTeeny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2010 at 2:21pm
I find it hilarious

When I was younger I loved to try to pick the winner, too.

But, I'm with Mel. Each to their own.

If I watch it now, it's purely to watch to see if they fall down or say something stupid

caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2010 at 2:34pm

Can't say I'm a fan of beauty pagents, surprised they're still running. They're up there with ANTM for the reality factor.

In the end it all comes down to how they look in their bikinis, I wish there was something for young women that was about more than looks.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
pumpkino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pumpkino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2010 at 2:38pm
My sister and I used to love watching it and ranking them all, and then seeing if we were right - if we were male I'm sure people would say it was exploitative but we little girls loved it!

I haven't watched it since I was about 12 and have no interest in it now but I don't see any harm. No one is forcing these girls to enter and in fact it is *apparently* highly competitive. They know what they're getting themselves into. If people don't like it they need not enter or watch!!

clover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2010 at 2:46pm
They don't bother me.

I figure there are woman who are more beautiful than others and pretty much everyone (if they will admit it or not) can all appreciate a beautiful woman.

Sure, being judged based on your looks is fairly shallow, but if YOU want to be (ie you've entered the pagent) then why should it bother anyone else?

I accept that I'm never going to look like a beauty queen, I'm fairly slim(ish) not terribly ugly but not good looking and that there are many people more attractive than me. I've known this for a long time. Watching beautiful women win Miss Universe was not going to make me bulimic as a child or a plastic surgery junkie as an adult.

People are all different, some are fat, some are slim, some are intelligent and some aren't. Do we not have University Challenge either as we don't want our children to feel self concious about not being smart?

I tend to think that women who get offended by such things tend to be people who are insecure about themselves and don't like that they may be compared with the "beauties" they don't feel like they measure up to.

Edited by clover
tishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2010 at 3:00pm
Not my cup of tea.
Not because I find it offensive but TBH I would have more fun watching grass grow than watching things like Miss Universe or other beauty related reality TV shows

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2010 at 3:08pm

I'm not offended by them, its more the message its sending to young girls, my niece is only 14 and that's the age group they're aimed at. After all most of the contestants aren't much older than her. 

She and her friends are at the age where how they look is really important and they do compare themselves to the celebs and models. 

Miss Universe is exploitive, its all about the body beautiful skinny young girls.

University Challenge doesn't exist anymore.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
GuestGuest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GuestGuest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2010 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by caliandjack caliandjack wrote:

I'm not offended by them, its more the message its sending to young girls, my niece is only 14 and that's the age group they're aimed at.

But I think the message is a positive one for young girls. All of the contestants obviously eat well and work out in order to have the bodies that they do. To me that is promoting a healthy lifestyle. Childhood obesity is rampant in this country, surely it is a good thing for young women to see what they can achieve if they eat healthy food and exercise compared with eating junk and sitting in front of the TV.
freckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2010 at 3:25pm
I don't like them... I don't believe they promote a healthy message as these woman often represent what is not necessarily obtainable. Not everyone can have a perfect body despite healthy eating and lifestyle, some comes down to bone structure, body shape and genetics. I just don't think judging people purely on looks (which are largely beyond our control) is a good message for very impressionable teenagers...

Edited by freckle
mum to 3 lovely girls :D
Kellyfer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellyfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2010 at 3:28pm
I don't think you can say it's exploitative because the women choose it for themselves and they are not forced to do anything against their will. It's a competition and there are rules, but they're aware of them before they commit. Sex slavery is exploitation, beauty pageants aren't.

As for the message it sends to young girls, I think it's all in how you back it up with your own parenting. On the whole I think pageant girls are more on the healthy side of looking good than models for example. There is a generalisation that pageant girls are vapid and stupid (which may or may not be justified) but if you teach your daughters that you should look after both your body and your mind then they're probably on the right track.
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2010 at 3:46pm
I'm not a fan but in the each to their own camp. I used to watch when I was little and loved picking who I though should win!

But I guess I got put off by friends who have done that and in particular one friend who also does ballet, she's stick thin - same height as me but weighs 45kg and thinks she is fat! (imagine what she must think of me and I am only 52kg!)

Anyway while I think it's good fun and all, I wouldn't want dd involved because some people take it so seriously! I want dd to have healthy expectations of her body and to be comfortable in her own skin and not feel pressured to look a certain way or be a certain way.

I wouldn't call it exploitative because women choose to do it, just like people who choose to be in x-rated movies, etc. They choose to do that. Although, yes some people do get exploited though!
TheKelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheKelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2010 at 3:49pm
My cousin is 14, she is the shortest in her class , but tells everyone shes down to earth , and when someone teased her about it , she said
" and you're ugly ...one day I'll grow " (she will most likely , her parents are both tall)
Shes more concerned with her role in a new Katherine Mansfield movie which will be on TV in a few months , and winning the award at school for all round achiever .....she couldn't care less about Miss Universe .

I forgot it still existed ...

clover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2010 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by caliandjack caliandjack wrote:

Miss Universe is exploitive, its all about the body beautiful skinny young girls.

University Challenge doesn't exist anymore.

How is it explotitive, what is it exploting exactly?

Actually University Challenge does still exist (the UK version). There are tons of similar type shows I could have used instead, I'm smarter than a fifth grader etc.

I don't think there is anything wrong with teenagers comparing themselves to models & celebs, it has always been done. They are beautiful, healthy girls, what is wrong with them being proud of how they look and wanting to compete?

Edited by clover
mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2010 at 4:28pm

Haven't read the replies, but I know someone who was in the Miss World 2007. Her family is very religious and her parents went with her to the compitition and they said it was very well run, not explotation at all.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2010 at 4:42pm
I don't think they're beautiful and healthy at all, that's what I don't like about them. The look skinny and anemic too me.

I guess with the birth of my daughter pending, I'm having to take a different perspective on these things.

Young teenage girls are ending up starving themselves trying to look like some air brushed fake image of a someone who is a genetic freak of nature in magazines and on television.

They can say the contestants are intelligent and smart women as much as they like, but they're being judged on how they look.

For every finalist in Miss Universe there will be a dozen contestants who missed out, who will be thinking if they diet more and exercise more they might make it too.

Some may choose to do it, you can bet a lot of girls are pushed into it by parents and friends wanting to make money out of their celebrity. That's exploitation whether its desired or not.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
M2K View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2010 at 4:48pm
I don't find it offensive, those girls work hard to do they do and obviously enjoy entering pagents.

I find the childrens beauty pagents 'odd' to say the least, I mean the over the top, $1000 dollar dress ones, fixing childrens teeth and spray tans. But has anyone seen Little Miss Sunshine? Love that movie!

High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2010 at 4:51pm
C&J do you mean anorexic rather than anemic?

A few years ago there was a girl in the pageant who had a diet of just tomatoes for months before the comp and she had a flipping heart attack because tomatoes is not enough for someone to live off! She died too.
mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2010 at 4:52pm

I love Little Miss Sunshine, great movie.

I know sisters that went into Miss Manawatu together, 1 of them won and ended up being the girl I know who was in Miss World and Miss NZ. The sister that lost didn't mind and in no way made her think of ways to better herself for the next time. She took it as a confidence boast and went on with life with better delf confidence.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
Delli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2010 at 4:53pm
I don't like them at all.

However, they are nowhere near as bad as child beauty pageants - those I hate with a passion.

ETA - Little Miss Sunshine was an awesome movie! Cracked me up!

Edited by Delli

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>