FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBottles are dangerous?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bottles are dangerous?
    Posted: 20 April 2008 at 6:36pm
Just saw a thing on 3 news about a chemical found in some bottles (I saw Avent ones on the news). Those bottles are no being banned in Canada.

Any news on this so I can be informed? Jack's a FF baby through Avent bottles so I want to know I'm not killing the poor bugger!
Sponsored Links

emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2008 at 6:39pm
Just found one story: bottle story
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2008 at 6:45pm
theres been much talk about this on the American forum im on they all have glass bottles..i mean? what? all i had heard was something about female hormones and increased link to breast cancer but it wasnt proven or something..(goes to read your link)

Hmm if that s the case why are we still allowed to use them:( what other bottles was it? we use tommee tippee and i cant not feed him from his tin!!!!:(
Mum to two amazing boys!
MissCandice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissCandice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2008 at 6:50pm
I knew i would regret giving up BFing
~ Mummy to a beautiful girl ~
mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2008 at 6:59pm

OMG you would think that if you wash and sterilise the bottles it should be fine. American's will always find something wrong with something. I'm sure they are fine. Both my boys have had bottles and Andrew had one from 3 weeks old and we used the basic Tommie Tippie bottles, I just made sure that I washed and sterilised them everytime.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2008 at 7:21pm
Doesn't everything we do these days meant to cause some form of cancer according to someone?
Rackhell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rackhell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2008 at 7:35pm
It's some chemical in the plastic, all plastic bottles i think. BPA they call it. plastic has a 7 in a triangle on it.

info should be on channel 3 newsite
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2008 at 8:02pm
omg what next. Lets scare a million mums into giving up bottle-feeding. lets go back to glass and deal with all the smashes and broken glass again shall we?

this is just stupid. there's always a risk to everything. Next they'll ban plastic kids toys in case they lick them.
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2008 at 8:06pm
Bah! I've got my salt shaker out and am taking this one with a grain or two...
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
kasbee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kasbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2008 at 8:20pm
OMG wat next.
You can't do anything these days without there being a threat of cancer
Kelly, mother to
4 wonderful children.
BellaBoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BellaBoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2008 at 8:28pm
Oops, I just posted about this in the general thread. I have never actually seen this thread!

I am not taking any chances though and am buying new bottles. Even if it is not proven I am not waiting till it is (or not). I know evenflo does tempered glass bottles what what are the other options? Anyone have any no.5 plastic bottles? Thay is supposed to be safer.
katie1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2008 at 8:41pm
A friend of mine just sent me an email about this. I have copied and pasted what she wrote as it sums it up and give a link to a full story:

I'm traveling at the moment in the States and one of the top stories in the news here may be of interest to those of you that are using baby bottles. The link to the story is below:

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/BUSINESS/04/19/bpa.ban.ap/index.html

The long and the short is that most bottles are made with a hard plastic that contains bisphenol A and there is some evidence that it may leach out of the plastic and could cause elevated levels of BPA in infants - there may be some health consequences as a result. Walmart - a very big retailer in the US - is pulling the bottles and the Canadian gov't is taking measures to ban their importation. There is also information on the wikipedia if you look for BPA.

I've had a look at the Avent site and these bottles are made with bisphenol A and they have some information in their FAQ section. Not sure about sippy cups as I haven't found any information about this. I'd assume clear, hard plastic materials like bottle material have this - not sure about colored hard plastic cups. One suggestion they are making in the interim, until the product materials are changed, is that people use bottle liners or glass bottles! :)

kabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2008 at 8:50pm
I saw something about it on ABC news. Apparently they are pulling loads of baby bottles from shop shelves. There's quite abit of info on their website;

NB, the video starts off with a random 30 sec ad!
ABC

Bottles

WRXnKids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WRXnKids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2008 at 9:33pm

If our milk bottles etc all contain this as well then breastfed babies will be affected as well through the mothers system so it doesnt make me wish i kept breastfeeding (shudders thinking of poor poor almost ripped off nipple)

Even if we change bottles our babies will still end up being exposed later on anyway wont they? 

Then again they find something wrong with everything these days even vitamin suppiments are suppose to be bad for you accourding to the news on friday i think

WRXnKids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WRXnKids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2008 at 9:47pm

TV3 said this about it

Investigation finds that plastic bottles may pose serious risk to infants

Sun, 20 Apr 2008 06:21p.m.

Food safety experts in New Zealand are investigating Canadian claims that a chemical widely used in plastic products poses a serious risk to babies.

That chemical, BPA, is likely to be banned from children's products and food containers in Canada, as other countries, including ours watch closely.

The choices facing new parents can be overwhelming. Now they've just become even harder.

A chemical compound in baby bottles has alarmed Canadian politicians so much they want it banned, saying it's a serious health risk for infants.

The plastics industry says bisphenol A or BPA is harmless.

But a US report this week found a link with cancer in animals and said more studies are needed.

It has prompted an American senator to introduce legislation tomorrow to ban BPA from children's products and food containers.

If Canada and America go ahead with bans, they'll be the first in the world to do so.

Here, the Food Safety Authority has been monitoring the latest developments and told 3 News it will be contacting the Canadian authorities early this week, before it decides on any action.

But there is conflicting advice about the use of products containing BPAs.

A US scientist told reporters that: “The level of BPA that we are exposed to as consumers are far far below any level that could possibly be harmful.”

And Food Standards Australia New Zealand has just issued a fact sheet that categorically states "bisphenol A does not cause cancer."

If you want to know whether the plastics you use contain BPA look for the letters PC or a triangle with a number 7. It's not hard to find, whether it's on your water cooler at work or in your cupboards at home. To limit the chance of BPA leaching, avoid heating the plastic or filling it with hot food or drink.

emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2008 at 10:24pm
Ta, just read that on there before coming on again! I really get so angry at the media sometimes (our lovely ladies on here excluded ) for scaremongering poor mums.

So if we all go to glass bottles we can deal with having to boil them in a pot to sterilise them, then not be able to touch them for a few hours? Yeah, right. Stupid media and manufacturers. I'm not going to stop using my Avent ones until its been proven though. As wrxchic said, it leaches from the mother to the baby during breastfeeding too though if you drink or eat anything thats made from a BPA container (like pump drinks etc).
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2008 at 9:07am
The way I see it is how long have mums used these bottles - years. And it's only just popped up. I'll keep using ours.
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2008 at 9:24am
Originally posted by kebakat kebakat wrote:

The way I see it is how long have mums used these bottles - years. And it's only just popped up. I'll keep using ours.

Not that many years tho that the effects may only be coming thru.

This is not an old story - the fact that canada wants to ban the stuff in childrens bottles is tho...

Lets face it we dont really know what causes cancer and with the advent of "easier" to use products and new technologies there are bound to be a few that arent safe but we wont find out till much later, when it is almost too late.

It may or may not be true, i dont know. I do know tho that for my part i dont use baby bottles but i always make sure i dont re use my plastic drink bottles too often.

Oh and wont tell you all what my husband said last night when i told him about the story...

aimeejoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimeejoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2008 at 11:15am
My mum said we had glass bottles.

Deb, now I want to know what your hubby said!
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2008 at 11:31am
Originally posted by aimeejoy aimeejoy wrote:

My mum said we had glass bottles.

Deb, now I want to know what your hubby said!

NO, you dont. Trust me!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>