FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedteaching them address etc

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: teaching them address etc
    Posted: 04 June 2008 at 2:44pm
Ok so up until now i have been really slack and my kids dont know their birth dates, address or phone number, and i dont think they even know what my name is.

They did a Kid Power talk at kindy the other day all about keeping your kids people safe and i realised then they didnt know any of this info.. And this is bad coming from the mother who is always losing her kids!

So today we were role playing that they were lost and i was a policeman asking them their names and address, it sounded so cute...

But it got me wondering ...

How did you teach your kids their full name and address etc and at what age?

Sponsored Links

Roksana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roksana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2008 at 4:04pm
I started to teach Zaara our names.

"What is Mummas name?" - Roksaaaannaaa
"What is Papa's name?" - Aaaaatiiiissshhh

Sounds really cute!!

She know her name, my name, DH's name, Grandma(s) and Uncles name. All first names tho as she finds it difficult to say our last name. Never mind its a start.

I was teaching her our address, tho she repeated it with me...I think she is still a bit to young to understand what I was teaching her.

I will keep at it tho...lets just hope that none of our kids ever have to repeat the address of where they live to any one else but us.

Good on you for starting to teach them tho.

Edited by Roksana

caraMel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caraMel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2008 at 5:42pm
Good post Deb, Ella has no idea what our details are and is prone to taking off at times! She probably wouldn't talk to a policeman or stranger, helpful or otherwise, she's so shy, but I should teach her just in case!
Mel, Mummy to E: 6, B: 4 and:

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2008 at 7:23pm
I never actually consciously taught Maya, she just picked it up on her own. Was after we moved in here tho so sometime after age 3.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
.Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2008 at 7:41pm
Repeating it over and over again. Nyah knows our address, phone number, my "real" name and DH's. She also knows the outlaws names and my parents.

Mr Mellow (16)
Miss Attitude (8)
Destructa Kid (3)

busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2008 at 8:16pm
My girls are so inquisitive that they do know our names and Hannah can tell whose mail is whose. Hannah and Briona both know their full names, although if a Policeman tried to understand Briona saying hers, haha that could be interesting! They know our names too and Hannah knows our street name, not sure about Briona or if Hannah knows the number. Hannah doesn't know our telephone number yet, 7 digits seems to long to remember at her age?! Dates of birth... they both know their months and how old they are, is that enough?
Kels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2008 at 8:32pm
[QUOTE=Bizzy] i dont think they even know what my name is.
QUOTE]

ROFLMAO.

I found a little lost girl in Farmers once and when I asked her what her name was she said Jorja and then when I said whats mums name she says Barbie so here I am with this little gorgeous girl calling out to Barbie lmao
Kels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2008 at 8:35pm
Teresa I remember Hannah giving me a rendition of all the girls name. She is serious so cute to talk too.
aimeejoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimeejoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2008 at 8:42pm
I taught Hannah our address when we are driving home - what street do we live in hannah? And what number?

She has just figured out our real names and she knows her full name.
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2008 at 9:13pm
LOL Kels. Now Briona's a bit older, she stands right next to Hannah and parrots her, word for word

My little bro got lost once (actually a lot of times, he was too quiet!) and afterwards he said to Mum "and she [the lady who picked him up] even knew your name!" Mum was surprised and said, "what is my name?" and he said (really obviously) "Mummy!"
mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2008 at 10:53pm

Andrew knows his full name. He knows the street we live on and only knows that it is has a 4 in it. He know mine and DH's name althou he knows my name is Becks not Rebecca. He knows we live in Palmerston North.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
Deez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2008 at 9:11am
I am so glad to hear you are teaching your kids your address and phone number....I have a story that will make you want to teach your kids

In the school holidays JK was out side on his cell ph it was bout 3 in the morning....he thought he had saw a ghost run past our neighbours house (who lives on a different st from us) anyway he told his mate to wait cos' he was seeing things while he took off up the drive way to see and what it was was a little girl in her PJ, no shoes, and a hood over her head but she didn't have her arms in the sleeves....well he called out to her and said "what are you doing" (in the mean time he had hung up on his mate) she replied "i'm on my way home" JK said "where did you come from and where do you live?" she said "i was at a sleep over at my friends house and they woke me up we had a fight and i left i live just around the corner" They were camping outside in the front yard. So JK said he would walk with her home thinking she knew..he said they walk around the streets but she was confused and didn't really know apparently she had been wondering the streets for a while before JK spotted her, she had been down to Taikata shops and back up the road again...we live about a 5 - 8 min walk from those shops. Once JK realised she was confused and every st looks the same at that hour he told her they would come back to our house and explained he had a partner and two young children...when they got back to the top of our st she didn't want to come any further so she sat down on the side of the road...Jk threw her his jumper and told her to put it on and wrap her feet up n it and she did. The whole time they were walking he stayed on the road...even when they sopped he sat in the middle of the road, he tried to ring me to come out but he had no credit and not wanting to leave her he ended up calling the police which is what i said he should have done in the first place....anyhow he explain to her that she would be going for a ride in a police car to find her parents and that she would be looked after by them....when he cops got to them Jk got a full grilling by them. Who wouldn't question a man with a young child at that time of the morning. We haven't heard anything back since.

So the fact that you are wanting to teach your children their address and phone number if fantastic in my books.
And i hope my story will encourage you to do so!!

Edited by Deez

Lycan and Peyton = Moon and back!!
Glow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2008 at 9:24am
I dont remeber how exactly Brae learnt, i guess it was with a lot of repition & recognising numbers/letters on letter boxes/ signs & talking about where people live, making maps, songs etc

When hes asked his details, his last name (its a hard 1 anyway) doesnt come out clear & he adds an extra 0 to our phone number
Im over him using my first name, he uses it in the most appropriate places/times .....Not but i guess its better than Mummmy 24/7
Mummy of Two Boys
B: 2004
K: 2007

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2008 at 9:46am
thanks deez, that brought a tear to my eye and reinforced the importance of teaching them the info.

and thats a good idea glow about the numbers on our letterbox... we'll talk about it on the way home from kindy today again i think...

Edited by Bizzy

mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2008 at 10:15am
We've tried to make sure that they know a good number of things.

Paris knows her full name, as well as mine, mikes and ayjas, she usually can remember our address, haven't gone as far as phone numbers but if we are going somewhere where there are going to be lots of people i always write mikes cell phone number on the kids arm in pen and they know to tell whoever it is that this is their daddy's cell phone (which he has with him all the time). We have never had to have it used thank goodness.

We talk about in shops, they know to never leave the store and that we would never leave the shop without them, they know to go to the counter and tell someone they are lost and we have talked about safe people to tell etc.

We've alwaso talked a fair bit about safe touch, good and bad secrets and what if's as if what if you were at school and playing and someon ein a car offered you lollies, or someone asked you to help find their puppy etc. We've gone thru lots of different scenarios, not trying to scare them but talk about in reality about some things that unfortunately do happen.

I think at this stage Paris would be good, Ayja it would probably all go out the window, shes a bit little still.
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2008 at 10:39am
My sister used fridge magnets to teach her kids their address and phone number.

Initially she wrote it down for them but they soon could spell it out from memory. We also made up tags for my nephew, when he started spending days with his dad, we'd attach the tag with emergency contact numbers to his day bag.
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2008 at 12:08pm
Maya is so proud that she knows here full name - and given how long it is, that IS pretty impressive! She knows the gremlins full names too, and that Daddy is Willie Davis like her but Mummy is Emma Fahy. She can tell who the mail is for too, unless it just says M Davis in which case it could be her, Mona or Mercedes lol.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2008 at 12:09pm
PS. Deb - Gabriel definitely knows your name, I've heard him call you "Debbie"
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
Kim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2008 at 1:03pm
Zac knows his full name, our address and phone number. He learnt address and phone number through repitition and at My Gym some weeks they have to say their first name and other weeks their full name. He knows mine and DH's names as well.
Zac Mark - 30.11.05
Samara Ailsa - 13.08.07
11111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 11111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2008 at 7:16pm
Alan knows all our names in full our address that we live by the rock. He know's we live in NP.   He knows where Daddy and uncle work's.   Have not approached the other stuff yet, but going to need to with him soon as he is a really friendly kid and that really worries me that he would go off with a stranger.
Janine I love the tip about the cell number that is a great idea..
Deborah Mum to:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>