FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedEpidural stories?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Zasha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Epidural stories?
    Posted: 29 September 2009 at 2:09pm

My mid wife has gotton onto me about starting to get my birth plan together, and has mentioned the epidural as the most effective form of pain relief,  I'm reluctant to go down that road as I had a spinal tap a number of years ago, and experienced severe side effects as a result. (not been able to stand or walk for several days, vomiting, severe head aches and shooting pains in my legs along with long term back ache) As you can guess I'm not really that keen for anyone to stick a needle in my spine ever again. 

Has any one had any negative effects from having a epidural? Or is there nothing to worry about.?

Sponsored Links

Mum2ET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mum2ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2009 at 2:37pm

I didn't have any negative after effects, but it did take a couple of go's for mine to work, as the first time it only worked on 1/2 my body (which was a really weird feeling) and it ended to be topped up. Looking back I think it definintely did slow down my labour and could have been the reason that I torn- but you never know and at the time I glad I had one (Ella moved postier and my back was so, so sore).

This time around I am going to try and avoid it if I can, but am still open to having one if I really need it (gas didn't work for me, so I don't really have a lot of pain relief choice).

Mum to
Ella (5) and Tom (2)
Andriea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andriea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2009 at 2:38pm
Hi, with my epi, it was great during labour but they forgot to top it up when I was rushed in for a emergency c-sec, so it wasnt working properly and hurt like hell in the beginning, I didnt have anyside effects or anything, she was born at 9pm and the next morning I was up and about
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2009 at 2:43pm
I had an epi and then topped up for emergency c-section..no issues..before during or after...heck it was the only thing that went right..lol:)

my mw doesn't really do birth plans..talks about the basics but that's about it.. worked for me last time even though i thought I would want to plan.
Mum to two amazing boys!
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2009 at 3:01pm
I've had a spinal for a c/s and an epidural for a labour and both went fine. My epidural wore off unevenly but that was no huge drama. There are a whole lot of possible side effects to having them though, the anaesthatist (sp?) goes over them with you but you could possibly be in labour at that point and aren't always capable of thinking rationally at that point so it's good to read up on it before hand so that you dont' need to ask questions when in labour.

I remember vaguely the guy telling me I could end up in a wheelchair and thinking how nice it would be to never feel anything again So yeah, labour not always the best time to be making huge decisions.

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2009 at 3:30pm
I dont have experience with epis but just remember not all labours need them. I've been through 2 labours and one of those I was told to expect to need one because of my situation and I didn't But I was prepared to get one if it really came down to it.
lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2009 at 4:17pm
Just keep an open mind .. I went into labour with Isabelle thinking "im definately not having one" to begging for one as soon as I got into delivery suite

I had an epi with Issy and a spinal with Elias (as he was an elective c) .. the epi left me with numb parts in my feet for quite awhile afterwards but was fine after that.

The hardest part was trying to stay still during the contractions!
Mummy to Issy (3) and Elias (18 months)

I did it .. 41 kgs gone! From flab to fab in under a year LFs weight blog
RinTinTin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RinTinTin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2009 at 4:20pm
WIshing I hadn't come in and read this stuff now.

JessDub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JessDub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2009 at 5:04pm
I was induced and had intense contractions with hardly any dilation. My MW took one look at me and told me I had to have one! When the aneasthetist came in I cried - tears of joy - to see him.

And thank goodness my MW was insistent. It didn't really work for me, in that I needed gas to control the intense pressure but I'm pretty sure not having it would have been awful awful awful.

Afterwards no side effects though. It wore off in a couple of hours for me to have a shower unaccompanied etc.

caitlynsmygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2009 at 5:23pm
lol Julia, I wasn't asking for one, I was screaming for it , both times

I know probably one of the worst epidural stories , but I don't think I should share it , besides , it was a very rare occurance .(was my friend btw , not me )

Even knowing this though, next baby , ima goin to the hospital at the first sign of a contraction , and i'll say , "inject me doctor ! " and he will and then I will sit and watch episodes of Friends with DH on his laptop , I don't care how long the labour is , i've had the short, intense , drug free labour, and I've had the long 24 hour labour with no pain relief and I can't say I enjoyed either (some do , I don't , end of story )
so the thought of a long , drawn out labour with little pain sounds loooovely
(and noone give me any stories of epis that didn't work , I shall live in ignorant bliss )

My main birth advice that I can give anyone, is go with the flow , have a general plan in place , but just remember that on the day of delivery , that plan can go right out the window

Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2009 at 6:00pm
I had an epi last time and it was fine. The only thing is that it was probably also partially to blame for labour not progressing and the c-section I finally had.

I'm avoiding one this time around.

Mel24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mel24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2009 at 6:14pm
My goodness..... I had an epidural and I wish almost every day that I didnt. I got told the risks and thought that I would be fine - that surely everything would be ok. But my right leg went numb within 30 minutes of it going in. My face started to go numb as well. I was still feeling every single contraction so I don't actually know how much pain relief it gave me. My bladder also was numb and for the 4-6 weeks after the birth I had issues not knowing when to go to the toilet. My leg/foot kept me awake for the first few weeks because I couldn't feel it. My newborn baby was sleeping and my stupid foot was keeping me awake!

My baby girl is now almost 8 months old and the base of my foot is still numb. It doesn't cause any discomfort but man, I wish I didn't have that epidural.
LouD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2009 at 6:14pm
Ive had an epidural, a spinal block and just recently i too had a spinal tap........very concerning cos you pretty much just play ignorance with those side effects, but i was very lucky to have no side effects from any of those 3...........which makes me very very nervous about number 4 spinal interference in December when i have number 3 csection.......

Can i please put my head back in the sand!!!! As if having a csection isnt scary enough
X View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2009 at 7:25pm
Just my opinion....
there is a special place in heaven for the person who invented the epidural!
It was absolute bliss having the epidural. Labour went from an awful, stressful, painful experience to a nice calm, painless experience. Yes, I did have to have an emergency C section eventually, but I don't think you can automatically say that it was the epidural that led to that. I had no complications whatsoever after the epidural & I will DEFINITELY be having an epidural next time (whether I have another C-section or attempt VBAC)

BeLoved View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeLoved Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2009 at 8:40pm
Mine did not work, except for a small round numb patch on my back. I felt everything and there was no time to try again. I did not suffer any side affects from what I did have though.

I would opt to not have one next time as trying to sit still during contractions that were one on top of the other was not pleasant and then I got no pain relief anyway.
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2009 at 8:42pm
I loved my epidural with Maya - I'd been in labour for two days, was only 4cm and was shattered. I wanted to marry the anesthatist! After that, I never imagined myself giving birth without one.

With the gremlins I had an epi put in prior to labour as part of a labour management plan (twins=higher risk and they needed to be able to get them out fast if necessary) and whilst it didn't work, it didn't have any negative side effects or complications.

Then having had them effectively with no pain relief due to the failed epi, I decided to have a go at no pain relief with lil miss,and tho I was screaming for an epidural a couple of minutes before she was born, it was actually a brilliant experience
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2009 at 8:43pm
Oh and after both my epis, I was up and about within a couple of hours.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
mummyofprinces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummyofprinces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2009 at 10:01pm
I was dead against an epi but after 35 hours of mild labour after an induction my waters were broken and within 20 minutes it was all on. Like Emma when the man with needle turned up at my door I wanted to divorce my DH and marry him instead. I have the biggest crush on him, would love to see him again and see if he is as hot as I remember.

No side affects here, was up and about the next day.

I am still planning on natural next time around, but I am open to pain relief if I need it.

I think it pays to go in there totally prepared to change your mind on everything you decide out here.

SpecialK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2009 at 7:28am
I was also one of the "birth is a wonderful thing and I'll breathe through the pain" brigade... until I went into full on labour and was told by my OB that I should start thinking about pain relief. I then proceeded to discuss the pros and cons of the epi with the midwife for an hour (!). Anyway, the pain was so intense and I was only 4cm, so decided to have one and it was the best thing I could have done. I did use a private anaesthetist, but he got it in in about 2 min, it worked straight away, still had some feeling and was able to move my legs. I was up and about within a couple of hours of having H and the only side effect was fluid retention but that went in a couple of days.
Joscia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joscia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2009 at 9:58am
Originally posted by Odettenz Odettenz wrote:

Just my opinion....
there is a special place in heaven for the person who invented the epidural!
It was absolute bliss having the epidural. Labour went from an awful, stressful, painful experience to a nice calm, painless experience. Yes, I did have to have an emergency C section eventually, but I don't think you can automatically say that it was the epidural that led to that. I had no complications whatsoever after the epidural & I will DEFINITELY be having an epidural next time (whether I have another C-section or attempt VBAC)

Same with me! The relief of the epidural was SO good - after 30 hours of labour, vomiting, dehydration, exhaustion and very little dilation. I was so sure that I'd have a natural birth - we did the hypnobirthing course & everything - but it all went out the window on the day. I had an emergency C-section too - as by then I was 40 hours into it and completely shattered.

I didn't have any adverse side effects from the epi either - apart from a weird numb spot on my lower back for a few weeks afterwards. I was able to get up and go to the loo during labour, and was walking around & showering the next day.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>