FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMorning help.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Morning help.
    Posted: 18 February 2010 at 12:33pm
Mornings are absolute disasters in our house. i have never been early enough to walk to school this term at all and it is driving me nuts that it takes over an hour.

they know what needs to be done but it takes them forever...

Can you share with me what you do in the mornings to help get the kids focused on what needs to be done without resorting to yelling!

Sponsored Links

arohanui View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arohanui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2010 at 12:50pm
No personal experience, but how about some sort of check list for the boys? You could write it up and have a picture for each one (like draw a picture of a toothbrush.... or you could take a pic of each boy doing each task, so a pic of him brushing his teeth). Then if you put a little tick box next to each task and laminate it, they can mark off each task with a whiteboard marker as they do it. Could be fun.

And then as a natural consequence of getting ready early (not a 'reward' but just, hey you got ready quickly so now you have extra time) they could have something they're allowed to do until you need to leave.... like play with toys or watch a tv programme or something. But ONLY after every thing on their list is completed and you've checked it. Might get a bit of natural competition going between the boys too, nothing wrong with that
Mama to DS1 (5 years), DS2 (3 years) and...
Jay_R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay_R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2010 at 1:25pm
*threadjack* Liz, that is a fantastic idea! I'm going to have to steal it

And Deb - I feel your pain. Josh is a right dawdler in the mornings, and we usually end up having one or two 'time outs' before getting out the door! No advice to offer, just a big hug and reassurance you are not alone in this one
lemongirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lemongirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2010 at 2:06pm
Argh I know the feeling.

Yes we have a morning checklist. The other thing to do is to make sure that you have has much possible done the nightbefore.

We make lunch and layout our clothes for the next day.

Oh the other thing to try is using a timer... tell them right I'm setting the buzzer for breakfast when the buzzer goes you are finished eating.
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2010 at 2:18pm
hhmm i like the timer idea... what do i do if they havent finished by the time it goes off though?

tishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2010 at 2:56pm
Well personally I think that one trip to school/kindy in their jammies would ensure it wouldn't happen again.

What they have on when the timer goes off is what they wear to school.
lemongirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lemongirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2010 at 3:35pm
Yup I'm with tishy, just set the timer and they wear whatever it is that they happen to have on.

BTW we use the microwave timer and for a pro-tip let the boy who wins set the timer next time.

It's amazing what kids will fight over.

Edited by lemongirl
FionaS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2010 at 3:39pm
Some good ideas. I know for a fact that my dd wouldn't be in the slightest bit phased by going to kindy in her pj's....little monkey!

We've had success with saying she can have TV once she has had breakfast and is dressed. Now she eats quickly and complies with dressing as she knows the faster it is done the more TV she will get before it is time to leave. At first it didn't seem to work but she has cottoned on now.

I too get lunches, clothes etc set out the night before. I also make sure her breakfast portion size is quite small...she can always ask for more but seems to be put off if her bowl of cereal is too big.
Mummy to Gabrielle and Ashley
.Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2010 at 4:56pm
What is their routine during the week? Can you give us some ideas of how it's "supposed" to go?

I've never had problems.. so maybe between all of us we can brain storm a solution for you and the boys.
Mr Mellow (16)
Miss Attitude (8)
Destructa Kid (3)

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2010 at 5:34pm
all they need to do is get up, have breakfast, brush teeth and wash hands and faces, get dressed, put lunch or fruit in bags and viola!

this week gabriel has started saying he is still hungry after breakfast and wanting a biscuit - which i will not give him.
this is how this morning went:
he went into the lounge while i was in the shower and so i turned the tv off at 7.30 and he threw something at me and tried to give me a karate hit! then theres the dirty looks and scowls that go with them.   then he was playing with an acorn and got upset when i took it off him cause he wouldnt get dressed.. we have to pick up the cat a couple of times...play in the bathroom and not wash our faces at all!

i hate mornings!

FionaS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2010 at 5:41pm
Just a thought, we had some issues when TV went on before things were done. She would resent having to stop watching in order to eat / dress etc. Have you tried no TV until everything else is done?
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2010 at 6:08pm
fiona they arent supposed to have the tv on. My husband turns it on for eden if she gets up while i am in the shower or trying to get dressed but come 7.30 it is off.

maybe i just need to get them and me out of bed earlier!

lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2010 at 6:28pm
we do two things - 1. get stuff ready the night before - clothes out and bags packed.
2. we do the checklist and try to "beat" the record for the previous day. i time how long it takes him to get dressed, have breakfast etc.
3. he serves himself breakfast and has to eat it ALL.
it seems to work much better this year than last
FionaS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2010 at 6:29pm
I take my hat off to you regardless...getting 3 kids ready and out the door in time for school sounds like hard work! I only have 2 and the earliest we need to be out is 8.25 on Sundays.   5 days of it would be hard work!
LouD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2010 at 9:31pm
I know someone that uses their kitchen microwave as a timer for each task

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2010 at 9:58pm
i have had great success with the oven timer 2 mornings now... the boys love having something to beat. but the shortest time is 5 mins so i think i need to buy a little timer.

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2010 at 10:28pm
You need to have the TV off. The first couple of weeks of school were great for us, on time & no arguements, some of last week & this morning the TV went on & out the window goes all brain cells.

I reminded her of the no tv before school today & will have to remind DH cause he's been watching the olympics.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
caitlynsmygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2010 at 10:56pm
ugh mornings, this is what I do ,(obviously Im lucky enough to be able to )
I lie there pretending to be asleep and say
"DH Im too tired/ sore/sick/crampy/dead to take C to school , can you get her ready and take her ? thanks hun "

would your boys move faster if it was a race between them ?

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2010 at 8:34am
kelly thats funny... my husband is out the door before i get them ready for school. if i am lucky sometimes he feeds them first but only if they are out of bed early.

Except today...friday is the day he takes them to school and he always walks them. and i have convinced him to take eden too lately so i get an hours peace!

kiwi2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2010 at 5:36pm
I did the chart thing with my 4 year old who is now 9years. We had it on the fridge and there was a pic for each task. 5 total from memory. We had a magnet that he moved down the list. I think it was breakfast, brush teeth, get dressed, pack bag and shoes on. I just used regular clip art pics from word for each. 5 years on and he still does it in order. The chart has long gone but the routine has stayed. Boys are so visual so it really worked for us. On mornings where he slept in we could get thru it in 15-20mins but most mornings it was about 35mins.   I really recommend it as it worked so well for us. Good luck there is nothing like a house full of kids and the morning school rush to bring the mummyzilla out.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>