FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAdvice please

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
YvetteandElla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YvetteandElla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice please
    Posted: 10 July 2007 at 12:33pm
Ok ladies who have had babies and the rest of you - I need your advice.

Dh thinks that it will be a good idea to limit the visitors when we are at the hospital to my parents and his mum - he wants me to be able to recover relax and learn all the things I need to. He is worried that if all our freinds and family come visit it will be too much.

He also wants this time to bond

I am just worried about upsetting people etc - what do I do

Sponsored Links

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2007 at 12:49pm
dont worry about upsetting other people. you and bub are more important.
i found personally that i didnt mind the visitors in the hopsital...it is harder when they all turn up at your place. an dif they come to the hopsital the nurses will kick them out if they think you arent coping.
But what i did with my second was send out an email and told people when i would be available for visiting and if they were coming when i was home to bring lunch..

Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2007 at 12:51pm
I thought the same as you, but now having had a baby I have a different perspective!

In hospital, although u have just given birth you are on a sorta natural high,..wow I have a baby!,...pretty much the only thing you do is sit on the bed. Your meals are all made ,brought to you and taken away. No dishes, no washing, no nothing. Just watching/feeding/changing bubba. Visiting hours are limited. You can get the nurses to kick the rallies out if u really want too! If you want to bf or the nurses come in, you can ask visitors to wait outside.

If u have stopped everyone coming to the hospital then they are gonna turn up anytime in the first few days or week that you are at home. There is no set visting hours like the hospital! So they are likely to come in dribs and drabs at anytime!
At home,..its like "OMG I have a baby",..u dont have a bunch of midwives at the end of the bell,..all the washing, dishes etc are there to make u feel guilty if your resting.
You get WAY more rest and less stress at the hospital so its much easier to deal with visitors then that when u first get home!
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2007 at 12:57pm
IMO most friends would actually not be too miffed at that idea because, parents or not, everyone seems to have the rough idea that new mum with baby = tired.

Anyway, when I had Hannah she was born via c/s and I was exhausted, low in blood (and iron), and I felt that the visitors we had were too much. The biggest prob was that my DH couldn't be there much (couldn't take time off work) and visitors at hospital tend to over-stay or piggy-back (one person leaves as the next person arrives, x3) and it's hard to send them away if you're tired or want privacy for feeding etc. The worst for me was when I woke up one afternoon to see my MIL and her SIL at the foot of my bed, waiting!

When I had #3 I didn't want many visitors and I let a few people know that. And in the 48 hours I was there I was only visited by my parents and my in-laws - and I was bored! Most of it was because I had recovered so much better (ie hadn't had surgery or lost as much blood) and wasn't as tired. A baby doesn't need much bonding time at first because s/he only sleeps and feeds - although it's nice to have privacy for that.

But... it is nicer to have ppl visit at hospital instead of at home so that you don't feel obliged to make drinks and tidy floors and get dressed...

As for how to deal with it, when we had Briona (#2) I went straight home because the ward was full, and we put out a message to our family and friends saying that she was born and here's all the details, home safe and well but please no visitors this week. Or something like that. It's best to judge it at the time but doesn't hurt to have a plan. "Short visits", "Afternoon visits only" or "No visitors until the 3rd day" etc are good things to consider.
YvetteandElla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YvetteandElla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2007 at 1:16pm
The place we are going allows DH to stay with me and he will be there most of the time - which I think I will need.

I now understand that visitors at home will also be hectic - this is just too confusing

fattartsrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2007 at 1:22pm
yep, I would go visitors at hospital and then ask nicely if they could give you a couple of weeks to settle in with baby.
The Honest Un PC Parent of 2, usually stuck in the naughty corner! :P
aimeejoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimeejoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2007 at 1:29pm
Same as everyone else, its much easier to have visitors at the hospital than when you first get home. I found I was really bored in hospital and wanted visitors, plus no-one seemed to stay too long there.
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08
Candkids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Candkids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2007 at 1:32pm
i got so mad when i was in hospital, within 1hr of having sarah we had my mum & aunt(which was ok) then had the inlaws including there partners who stayed around forever!!!!!!! i was so tired and starving and just wanted everyone to go away

this time its definatly going to be limited to hubby , my mum and sarah everyone else can just wait

DD 10.5yrs
DS 6yrs
DS 11mths
5 little angles watching from above
bookwyrm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bookwyrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2007 at 1:56pm
At this stage it will be just me and DF. Once baby has arrived, DF can arrange something with my folks about visiting. DF's folks live in the UK and wont be here til mid January for their holiday... so I probally dont have many people to worry about.

mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2007 at 2:00pm

I found visitors at the hopsital are easier to manange than the ones that come home. I had issues with visitors when I had Andrew as most of DH's family worked at the hospital and had access into the ward so would come and go as they please. It pi$$ed me off so we got a sign put on the door saying something along the lines of "we are resting please leave us alone". Do you think my FIL read it NO!!! and walked in and I was in the middle of getting dressed. He made sure the next time he came with the MIL and that she went into the room first. If you have trouble with the visitors just get the staff to help you. Get your Dh to go and get the nurse to come in and say "have to leave now I have to check scar/stitches/bleeding etc. That should clear the room.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2007 at 2:01pm
I cant believe people would turn up without checking first. My good friend has just had a baby and I sent her congratulatory text on day 1 and then got updates as she went along. I didnt want to even phone her for the first few days as I knew she would be very busy with all her other friends.

Bubs was home a few days before we rang up and checked if it was ok to pop round very quickly (I made scones). we were out of there in 1/2 hour. It was 4 weeks before we got to catch up again but I kept in touch with texts and leaving messages on her answer phone.

I am worried about the same things though lilnutnut....espeically the rellies. Both parents live in Auck and we are in chch so when they come to visit they will have to stay with us and thats going to be hard.

Edited by nzpiper
BellaBoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BellaBoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2007 at 2:08pm
I think I will let people come visit me in the hospital as most of my friends and family are quite considerate and will not want to out stay their welcome. When I get home and for the first couple of weeks I will only let visitors come when DP is going to be there aswell. That way if I need to feed bubs I can go and do it in the bedroom and he can "entertain" the guests.
emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2007 at 2:21pm
Hehe my mum and sis will be in the delivery room with me, and most of my close friends (about 5 of them) are going to be camping out in the waiting room! No DH so I think they're overcompensating. I figure if I need them to go away, I'll just start discussing the birthing experience and whip out a boob for breastfeeding and they'll head for the hills
my4beauties View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote my4beauties Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2007 at 2:21pm
Yep I agree - visitors in hospital is much easier than at home! If you are in the middle of feeding then ask them to wait in the waiting room. I found with my first I wanted visitors otherwise I was sitting there twiddling my thumbs & I was only in hospital a day after having him. And it was nice that people cared so much they wanted to visit. It was mostly family but a few close friends as well.

Although I had another close friend turn up the day I got home about 8pm!!! WAY to late for visitors! I wouldn't let that happen again.
My babies:

R (9),G (7), J (5)

Candkids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Candkids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2007 at 2:50pm
i just found that the hospital rooms are pretty small so once theres more that 3 people in there and a baby and nurses etc there just seems to be people everywhere

DD 10.5yrs
DS 6yrs
DS 11mths
Candkids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Candkids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2007 at 2:52pm
being home was easy, just let the phone go to the answer phone and limiting the visitors was easy, and also due to it being over christmas alot of people were away and buisy .
i usually text my friends and say congrats then wait a few days before phoning or texting

DD 10.5yrs
DS 6yrs
DS 11mths
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2007 at 2:52pm
Piper - do they *have* to stay with you? I'd be asking them to stay in a motel or with (their) other friends until you feel like you're back on your feet.
becsscolly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote becsscolly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2007 at 2:55pm
Almost ditto nzpiper. My parents are in Levin and in-laws in Auckland. We don't really have room for rellies at our place, so have told them they can't stay with us. Will probably encourage the in-laws to visit after Christmas too (bubs due late Nov). My mum will probably be round for the birth though. But, then again all the fam are pretty considerate and I know that I have the strength/whatever to tell them to please come back later.

Be strong people - its your time Others will have to wait their turn.
.Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2007 at 2:57pm
I hated having people at the hospital at one stage we had both sets of parents, Conor and my parents best friends, and it was overwhelming, I couldn't handle it, I wanted to be alone with baby and hubbie.

When we got home we had one big group of hubbies friends come over at the same time, after dinner and I coped with that alot better, as Nyah slept the whole time, and they only stayed an hour. Then the rest of them came when it suited us.

This time around I would like it to be no visitors for the first 24 hrs and then I'll see how I feel. As for when we get home, if I don't want people over I'm going to be more vocal this time about when they can come. I guess it really depends on how baby is, and what kind of labour/birth I have. I'm going to be more selfish this time around, because last time I was scared about upsetting people.
Mr Mellow (16)
Miss Attitude (8)
Destructa Kid (3)

Candkids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Candkids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2007 at 3:12pm
ive told hubby no visitors for 24hrs, especially as he has a very big family and there the kind who will just "convieniently" turn up and wont leave for ages

DD 10.5yrs
DS 6yrs
DS 11mths
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>