FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked$$ spend on food etc each week

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
blossombaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blossombaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: $$ spend on food etc each week
    Posted: 21 March 2010 at 8:27pm
we are expecting number one in aug and tryed to work out a little budget for when she/he arrives. and worked out currently we are spending about $300 per week on the weekly shop/ buying lunch/drinks at work and having a take away once a week!!
is this normal because to me it seems awfully huge for 2 people! and theres no way we can afford it once we are down 1 income. what do you guys spend a week on your weekly shop etc? what are some ways i could cut down??
Sponsored Links

?Lolly? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ?Lolly? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2010 at 8:31pm
We spend between 170 and 200 a week for 2 adults, and three kids. (+1 large dog and 2 small cats) I'd say 300 seems rather a lot for 2 people. Maybe start making lunches? That's what we do.
Captain Chaos (5) & the Trouble Monsters (2!)
floss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2010 at 8:32pm
Wow $300 is alot, we have a family of 5 and on average our weekly shopping bill for food is $180 which includes nappies, I would say we probably spend maybe $20 per week on lunches and maybe if we have takeway that is about $30.

I found the best way to cut down was to write a menu for the week and only buy that stuff you need for that, obviously taking your lunches to work
My beautiful big girl Sienna 15.04.06

Double the trouble double the fun Noah & Lola 10/11/07
ginger View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2010 at 8:32pm
We spend about that with the 2 of us - I try to keep to around $1000/month, but I'm usually over by around $100-$200, which gives a figure of about $300/week. I count in absolutely everything though - extra bread and milk, that sort of thing. We found that we cut down on spending going to a fortnightly shop and buying veges from the local vege place and meat from the local butcher.

We actually took to doing groceries online at Foodtown for a couple of months which completely got us out of the habit of picking up extras (eg. Ooooh! Lets grab a lemonade ... Yuuummm ... chips ... etc etc) , and sticking to basics, as well as getting us used to not having those things around - effectively breaking all those eating habits as well. Then we went back to the supermarket, and found that we spent a lot less. FOodtown is an expensive place to shop, but it didn't actually cost us a lot more than our grocery bills were as we weren't buying the extras we were going to the supermarket ... if that makes sense!
Cuinn Lachlan 23.1.09 - 22:00
Antonia Helene 4.8.11 - 09:41
blossombaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blossombaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2010 at 8:36pm
thanks will try the online shopping .. i know its seem alot our big shop is usally around $200, and then $100 spent through the week on things like bread, milk nipping back to the supermarket and most likely buying things we don't really need, we try and take lunches to work but df likes something hot for lunch and doesnt always have access to a mirowave
Daizy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daizy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2010 at 8:41pm
We spend (for about 4 of us) $100 a week. We shop at 4 square.
Atcually it is not that bad, our meat is cheaper than the supermarket and when stuff is on special it is very comparable to the supermarkets, we save on petrol too

For me the 4 square is good because I am put off buying the stuff I don't really need, and when I am buying exactly what I do need we are wasting a whole lot less.

Every few weeks we will head to the supermarket to stock up on the basics. We shop at woolworths and pretty much only buy HomeBrand - They do make some pretty good food and its cheap! I actually prefer a lot of their stuff to the more expensive brands.

Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2010 at 8:44pm
We used to spend about that on just groceries.   It was really hard to work out what we were spending as we'd do 300-400+ shops but not every week, then smaller ones in between. Now we spend about 200/wk (2 adults, toddler, baby and 2 cats) as I'm shopping weekly the last couple of months. I write a list of what we really need that we've run out of, and apart from that I'm just trying to buy less junk (to lose the baby weight not save $s really), and we do the odd shop at the butcher to stock up on meat or one big shop a month to stock up on meat on sale. We have an extra freezer downstairs to store it. Every few weeks I try to do a smaller shop too, and then just pick up extra fruit/veges/milk/bread at the fruit shop. We try to buy more home brand stuff now too.

That doesn't include DH's lunch money or my coffee / snack / lunch money or takeaways / dinners out - so we would probably spend 300/wk too altogether.
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)
Caro07 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caro07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2010 at 8:46pm
We spend about $70/week at Countdown and then an extra $50/week on milk,bread,fruit,meat etc. That is for 2 adults and 1 child. We use cloth nappies so don't have the added expense of nappies and wipes.

We only supermarket shop once every 5 weeks though - that minimises temptations and we only buy the basics, cook from first principles etc. I try to homebake rather than buy biscuits/treats.

there was a long thread on here not too long ago (started by Jazzy I think) on how to spend less on groceries and being thrifty. Well worth a read
Caroline, SAHM to 2 boys, S (4 years old) and J (2 years old)
FionaS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2010 at 8:50pm
Our budget is $170 per week for 2 adults and 2 kids for everything (general groceries, lunches, dinners, meat, fruit...everything). I tend to cook for other families on average once a week and that comes within that too. I don't like to skimp on food and think we eat a lot & very well.
Mummy to Gabrielle and Ashley
Bobbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2010 at 8:51pm
We have a budget of $165 for groceries and that includes 'sposies for 2 kids.

If you meal plan, write lists and avoid impulse buys, shop at green grocers for the fruit and veg and mad butcher or the like for the meat you should be able to reduce your spend by heaps.

Also we used to budget $25/week for takeaways which was basically 1 night off cooking.

Mrs_B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrs_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2010 at 8:57pm
Wow $300 is a lot! Oh the joys of being a DINK couple with disposable income, I remember those days fondly...

I am now Mrs Frugal. We spend around a total of $160-180 a fortnight for 2 adults and one baby - nappies but no formula as he is BF.
We very rarely buy lunch, maybe a couple of times a month. We only eat takeaways once a fortnight if that and I buy milk and bread in bulk and freeze it so I don't have to go back to the supermarket and be tempted to buy other things we don't need. I also buy meat in bulk when it is on special and freeze. DH makes homebrew so we save a small fortune on beer and probably only have one bottle of wine a week (although this would probably be more if I wasn't BF'ing!) We buy veges from the local greengrocer which is much cheaper than the supermarket plus we grow our own cucumbers and tomatoes. Oh and we have 3 chickens so don't need to buy eggs.

Oh and write a list and stick to it!

Edited by Mrs_B
Lulu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2010 at 9:02pm
We spend $270 per fortnight on groceries, and about $80 per fortnight on meat. I would go to the vege shop 3 x per week and spend $20 each time. So about $235 per week and that is for 2 adults 1 child. Does not include wine or cat food as the cat is on medicated food from the vet and our stupid supermarket is in a dry zone so does not sell wine!
Lou
kellie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2010 at 9:02pm
Here is the link to the thread jazzy started. It has heaps of advice. money saving thread

lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2010 at 9:10pm
we spend around $350 for two adults, two kids and a cat and dog. we eat really well, I think but hardly ever have takeaways - mainly cause most of the time I can make something better and quicker. I bake a LOT, and shop around.   we meal-plan based on whats on special and have a "base list" of what we need in the cupboard and work around that. we buy fruit and veges at the market (around $40 a week - this is included in our grocery budget)
Treen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2010 at 9:34pm
Yeah, we spend about $300 a week on just the two of us and that includes DH's packed lunches. I do the grocery shopping once a week and I stick to a shopping list. DH packs a hissy fit each week as he reckons he could shop cheaper. We both have expensive taste, though. Eye fillet, lamb racks, corn fed chicken, free range bacon... I bought one of those food budgeting magazines just recently but tossed it in the bin when DH turned his nose up at the recipes – a lot of tomato based pastas, tuna bakes and shepherd's pie.     I sooo want one of those Pak n' Save Shop n' Go thingies up here in Auckland. I should buy that Destitute Gourmet recipe book, too.
myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2010 at 9:53pm
I shop every 4wks and budget $400 at the supermarket, $90 at the butcher and $50 at the fruit and vege weekly which incls bread and milk, so $170 per week for 2 adults, toddler, baby and 2 cats. DH takes his lunch every day and I am trying to buy takeaways maybe once or twice a month max
Lindsey

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2010 at 9:59pm
We spend $300 a fortnight for 2 adults + Toddler + baby . Thats everything meat vege etc. I am also Coeliac so cereal bread pasta etc is at a lot more expensive. We get our eggs from a fruit shop cause they were 1/2 the price of the supermarket ones and we shop @ Foodtownand buy homebrand stuff too. We get more items for the same amount than we did @ Pak'n'save . Dh takes hislunch every day and we have takeaways once a fortnight $10 chinese takeaway. '

MyLilSquishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyLilSquishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2010 at 3:28am
we spend about $100 for a months worth of meat from thr butcher and sbout $100-$150 for 2 weeks worth of groceries for 2 adults and do take out once a week (DP plaays futsal and i dnt fancy cooking at 9pm when we get home lol)
minik8e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minik8e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2010 at 7:48am
Our budget is $150, but we more often than not spend $200 a week. That includes nappies and formula for two babies. We eat quite well (lamb fillets, roasts, chicken breasts, sirloin steak etc) and DH takes his lunch most days...he is happy with sandwiches though, which makes life easier.
LouD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2010 at 8:09am
Originally posted by misscheeky misscheeky wrote:

we have takeaways once a fortnight $10 chinese takeaway. '

How do you manage $10 on chinese takeaways?? IM dying to know.......even our fish n chips for 2adults and one child comes to at least $20.....and chinese about the same for two dishes (one combination chowmein and one sweetnsour pork and rice)......
Do you get maybe a $10 smorgasboard and all share it??
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>