FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedReflux baby

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
snugglebug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugglebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reflux baby
    Posted: 14 December 2010 at 7:29pm
I have a 3 week old who has been diagnosed with reflux, luckily we have caught it early and got him onto losec. We have good days and bad days.

Was wondering if anyone else out there is going through this who I could chat to?
Me 28, DH 29
DS born 20 Nov 2010 (4 years old)
#2 due October 7
Sponsored Links

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2010 at 1:10pm
There are lots of us who've been through it. I've just recently, maybe just over a month ago taken my boy off Losec.

But happy to chat if you need help
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
nikitarose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikitarose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2010 at 1:36pm
Hugs its not a easy road,we are on our 3rd and worst refluxer she had surgery for it 3 weeks ago so anytime you need a chat or vent feel free.
gmunster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmunster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2010 at 10:01pm

LittleN we have a refluxer too and are on losec and gaviscon and still having apnoeas associated with feeding. happy to chat at any time hun.

KH25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KH25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2010 at 1:01am
Us too    Have only just started with gaviscon (on Tuesday) and have randitidine (sp?) to try next, then losec. Very tempted to just go straight to losec though? I had ordered an easy baby after a very difficult pregnancy

Edited by KH25
Kelly, mum to DD, 19Jun06 (26wks 1lb15oz) DS1, 24Oct10 (32wks 4lb11oz) and DS2, 31Dec11 (32wks, 4lb11)
harry33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harry33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2010 at 7:59am
We had 3 reflux kids, not easy but it does get better with time. Check out this site for products to help with reflux.

Baby Toolbox

Edited by harry33

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugglebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2010 at 6:43pm
Thanks for all your replies. Im finding it really hard at the moment. Baby is on losec but we have had two horrid days where it's like he's not on it at all.

He is fighting the breast when feeding, arching his back, screaming, can't settle, can't be held in one position for too long, has to be rocked to sleep, jiggled all the time, my back is killing me.

I had to give him a bottle of formula for the first time today because his he is on a feeding frenzy (it makes him feel better I think) and I have literally run dry and can not get anymore milk that was hard for me to do.

Im worried Im getting postnatal depression and I'm really not coping with all of this... how do you guys manage? Any advice? I feel myself going downhill fast as the screaming and seeing him in pain just breaks my heart.
Me 28, DH 29
#2 due October 7
nikitarose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikitarose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2010 at 7:56am
Super hugs its not easy,have you got a front pack this was my saving grace and you have hands free to do what you need.How did i cope honestly its all a blur really a whole year i dont ever want to re live,it does get better with time trust me,if you feel like you are heading down the pnd path please go see the doc.have you got anyone that can give you a wee break,with my frist refluxer i was a smoker which was handy cos i got a wee break lol not with no 3 thou and i swear i couldve started back after the stress lol.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugglebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2010 at 12:15pm
Luckily my Mum lives around the corner and she comes every day and she's good at settling the baby which is a godsend, I couldn't do without her help. She will come when he's screaming to give me a break but it's the nights that can be really hard. He seems so much better today after his formula top ups that Im wondering if I have not been giving him enough through feeding either, though his weight gain has been good... or maybe he just likes the full tummy. Im not sure.

I have bought a sling from trademe waiting for it to arrive so here's hoping that helps too
Me 28, DH 29
#2 due October 7
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2010 at 1:10pm
His Losec will be kicking in as well, it takes a few days to work & then also a week or so for the healing.

Do you have a rocker that you can pop him into so that he's inclined quiet steeply? Also when you put him in your pram, incline him up there as well.

Also don't bother with tummy time unless you do it on your tummy so he's inclined as well.

Raise up the bassinette/cot.

Also look at what you are eating in case something in your milk is bothering him.

You are very lucky that your Mum lives close
Kel

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugglebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2010 at 1:39pm
I dont have a rocker but I have a swing which he can sit up in but he hates it. Maybe I'll invest in a rocker.

He seems to actually quite like tummy time, is that weird for a reflux baby? He can happily lie on his back on the playmat as long as the reflux isn't bothering him, but if it is then it's a no go.

Are there foods that would be more likely to bother him? I know dairy can be an issue... would he have a rash or anything too if he did have an intolerance? Cutitng dairy seems a huge thing to do but I will if it might help
Me 28, DH 29
#2 due October 7
gmunster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmunster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2010 at 2:07pm

Our rocker/swing is a godsend, will settle far better in there.

The basinet is inclined extremely high which helps heaps, have used a safety sleep to strap him in and stop him sliding down the bed.

Floor time in general is a no no here - usually starts of horrendous screaming again - unless a dummy is in his mouth!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugglebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2010 at 3:21pm
Bub doesn't like taking the dummy it's so annoying because when he will take it it really helps him settle and get off to sleep but he always fights it, so annoying.

Im glad we can do the tummy time, I think in general his reflux is not severe, we've just had some really bad days.

I wish he would go in the swing! Would make my life a lot easier if I could put him somewhere for a bit when he's not sleeping. He doesn't seem to like to be in any one position for too long wherever he is, even when being held you have to shift or bounce him all the time
Me 28, DH 29
#2 due October 7
T_Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2010 at 11:36am
If you are noticing ups and downs in his reflux, I'd be thinking it is triggered by things you are eating. Sorry! I know that's not a nice thing to contemplate, but I quickly realised that yes, I was giving up cereal, ice-cream, cheesecake etc, but I was trading it for SLEEP! Which was infinitely more desirable to me at the time

Fruit - strawberries? - were another big problem here, along with dairy.

I know it's hard hard going now, but it really isn't forever. You will survive this

I survived by using a wrap carrier (like a moby) for most of her day sleeps, elevating her cot, investing in a decent lazy boy, so when she was having a really bad night, one of us would sleep sitting up in it with her up on our chests.

Also, try to involve your DH. DD would only settle for me for ages, when it would have been awesome to be able to hand her off to DH for a bit. Invite your mum to stay the night if you are feeling really knackered.

Huge hugs to you. it's not a nice introduction to motherhood is it?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugglebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2010 at 4:34pm
How should I go about figuring out if a food was bothering him? Just go back and think of all the things I ate on a bad day and work from there? Or should I just experiment and cut out dairy for 2 weeks, other things after that etc?

It saddens me to see how well he settles after a bottle of formula, breaks my heart that Im not giving him enough milk at the moment. Im sure some of his unsettledness has been from that.

You're right, it's not quite how I expected my first month with the baby to be!

ETA: yeah I can see a pattern developing where he only settles for me or Mum and I can't handle watching DH do something with him that won't work... I need to work on that as its doing my head in being the one to make it all better all the time

Edited by LittleN
Me 28, DH 29
#2 due October 7
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2010 at 11:10pm
What you could do is just eat normally for now & write down everything you eat, the times as well & when you've feed DS, there might be a pattern that will occur.

Kel

T_Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2010 at 8:50pm
If the formula is a cows milk formula and he settles after that, I'd be looking at foods other than dairy.

He could be going through a growth spurt too, with the wanting to suck continuously. They are hard work, growth spurts! Basically he's trying to up your supply by sucking all day and all night (or it feels like that at least!)
MamaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MamaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2010 at 6:17pm
I found DS would suck constantly all day and night too, it was light it made him feel better. And later on I read somewhere that dummies were good for reflux babies as the saliva produced helped to neutralise stomach acid. Although like your little man mine wouldn't take a dummy, so I ended up getting a good carrier and wearing him while he continuously comfort sucked.

Good luck hun, I know it isn't easy, but it will get better and you can always come and let us all know when you're having a rough time, lots of us have been through it and come out the other side.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugglebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2011 at 8:12pm
Hi ladies

How are you all going?

We have been going ok, ups and downs. He's on a big dose of losec now in capsule form which seems to help.

We had him on gaviscon after a feed as well and that was working great but it has made him incredibly constipated so I've had to take him off it as he was in too much pain. Anyone got any tips about that?

We have had some very trying days this week, Im never sure if it's reflux or just grumpy baby or what it is. Every time I think we are getting on top of things, there's another bad day, its really frustrating. Having a phase where he doesn't want to sleep more than an hour and he often just wakes straight after you put him down. So I don't get a lot done these days!

Just trying to manage each day
Me 28, DH 29
#2 due October 7
T_Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2011 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by LittleN LittleN wrote:

Just trying to manage each day

That's all you can really do! I used to think of that silly blue fish (Dory?) in finding Nemo - just keep swimming, just keep swimming...

He's six weeks old already. You've made it that far. This won't last forever (it seems like it at the time, but it won't).

Reflux babies don't behave like the babies in the *manuals* and they don't respond in the way you might expect, but many of them are much better after only 3 months... many more by 6 months. You will get there.

My little girl still chucks several times a day, but she's happy and growing and I've just become very adept at mopping up puke It gets easier, I promise.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>