FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSmokers & babies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
HelenElla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HelenElla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Smokers & babies
    Posted: 06 October 2005 at 8:53pm
My partner is a smoker and is very careful about not smoking around me(36wks1day pregnant) or our 2year old and always smokes outside, however I saw something on tv a while ago saying that the nicotine left on a smokers breath, clothes, hands etc can effect newborn and young babies. Contributing to cot death, asthma as well as the baby being generally unwell. Has anybody else heard anything about this? What are your thoughts?
Sponsored Links

lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2005 at 12:06am
my dad was a really heavy smoker. i have asthma (curiously it left when i got pregnant), but it wasn't at all caused by his smoking (got pneumonia at two months - scarred lungs or somthing like that). dad was a pretty considerate smoker, and my nana is a nurse and never said anything. so i haven't heard anything like that. that said, technology has changed, so mayeb they have found evidence or something...
newmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2005 at 7:26am
Well back in the day, hehehehe, I love saying stuff like that!, when mum was preggers with me it wasn't really a big thing. I know mum stopped smoking but I am sure my dad and all their friends would have smoked around her. Plus my grandad was a very heavy smoker too... and the point of this is that I am CRAZY, hehehehehehe

Seriously though, I think that you should stay away from the smoke as much as possible and I have ever heard anything about the residue lef on hands, clothes etc. Would be interesting to find out!

Roksana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roksana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2005 at 9:08am
Yah I never heard that before.....But honestly I doubt it, with all the crap that is in the air at the moment, how can you save your children from all that? As long as your hubby never smokes infront of your babies you should be fine!

But I might be wrong, my partner and I both dont smoke and the only person I know who smokes is my Father and Brother (never infront of me tho).

preggy_sunflower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote preggy_sunflower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2005 at 9:39am
They say that if the person who smokes wears a shirt or something over their clothes when they smoke, then take it off when they come back inside, helps to keep all the yucky things away from the baby. Also, washing hands afterwards, and gargling with mouthwash.... you make them go through that each time they have a cig, and they'll quit faster than you can say "don't forget the lovely plaid shirt babe......"
Joshua Hadynn - Born 3 May 2006
Alan Mum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Mum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2005 at 12:52pm
Ok so I never smoked while I was preggy hubby did tho he alway smoked outside. When Alan was really little Peter had to stay away from him for at least an hour after he had a smoke, and to wear a smoking jacket.(Midwife suggeted it and she told us about how the stuff is on there hands cloths etc) Now he is older it still bother's me if Peter hold him straight away but I am not so strict on the one hour rule.
I myself have been smoking scince I started at work but only when at work and the odd one when we go for walk's. I have to stop not tho cause aI am trying for another bubba.
Anyway my point is do what you can to protect your baby from risks of cot death and thing's, What ever you do don't nag your hubby I have been doing this and it only made things a whole lot worse so now I just don't say anything and he is smoking less go figure.

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2005 at 6:56pm
I gave up when I found out I was preg (morning sickness made it soooo easy to give up) but Willie still smokes. He smoked inside and around me when I was preg, but at about 6 mths I kicked hiim outside coz the smell was making me so queasy.
He smokes outside now, and it hasn't been an issue. When Maya was tiny a couple of times he was holding her and kissing her and I noticed that she stunk of smoke and went off at him, but she doesn't have asthma and has never had any probs with her chest/lungs other than the usual coughs and colds.
I think the smoking jacket is a good idea, but I also agree that much as we want to we can't protect our kids from everything and I would say the chance of bubs being affected is pretty small.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2005 at 8:30pm
we are lucky in that neither of us have ever smoked. however all of my sisters do, and a fair amount of mikes family do also. i am very very aware when someone holds ayja or paris - my older sister who stay s with us alot, quit after i had paris, and i was so proud of her, but then she started again. I have noticed that paris doesn't really get as close and cuddly with her anymore, and a few times she has held ayja and ayja has ended up smelling realllllly strongly of smoke. i now ask her to wear something different if she goes out for a smoke while they are staying with us, as you can smell it when they come back inside. I think, hey, if i can smell it so strongly from across the room, just think what my wee girl is inhaling as she snuggles into their shoulders or chest.

Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

Xander&Harmony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xander&Harmony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2005 at 10:14pm

Neither me or nath smoke either.i did when i was trying to be a rebel back in the high skool days lol

no one thats around us smoke apart from naths mum but she goes outside

BECS

Angel Baby 10/07/09 (10wks4days)
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2005 at 11:11pm
Hey Becs. is that Harmony's pixie photo? What a cutie!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xander&Harmony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2005 at 11:13pm
shh no of course not shhhhh
BECS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xander&Harmony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2005 at 11:14pm
BECS

mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2005 at 3:18pm
aw, very cute!   she's starting to look a bit more like Xander now isn't she ?

lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2005 at 5:06pm
i have a stack of pixie photo coupons I must get out for jake. Now i can have them taken and he won't be so young and look really weird, like his first one did. it was truly horrendous.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xander&Harmony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2005 at 8:25pm
yeah now that u mention it Janine just looking at my tickers they do look a lot alike.I suk at seeing resemblences with people lol
BECS

mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2005 at 9:53pm
mmm before i thought they were quite different
but just seeing them in the tickers they both have the same sorta face shape and hairline and eyes lol

hey, how much shoppin gyou end up doing the other day? i went back and got some stuff for ayja, one of the white tops with blue and purple flowers on it and some blue pants to go with

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xander&Harmony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2005 at 9:59pm
shhhh dont tellnath but i ended up laybying $130.00worth
BECS

mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2005 at 10:02pm

mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2005 at 10:03pm
lol can't help it aye, they have cute stuff for little girls

i try to stay away from there, but can't
i mean they are so close to ucol that if i have some down time before, after or in between classes i go and have a look

i blame ucol

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xander&Harmony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2005 at 10:04pm
yeah bad ucol bad
BECS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>