FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedImmunisations - tips on surviving them?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mikaela View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikaela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Immunisations - tips on surviving them?
    Posted: 22 August 2007 at 1:57pm
So Alex's six week old shots are coming up in a couple of weeks and I'm dreading it. Can anyone give me some advice on how to make the day easier on him and me?
Sponsored Links

busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2007 at 2:13pm
There's not much you can do but even though us mums hate having imms done, the bubbas actually recover and forget very quickly. Your doctor will write you a prescription for Pamol for if you need it (if you don't already have some). Otherwise be prepared to feed Alex once the imms have been done and allow for him to be a bit more sleepy than usual that afternoon. If he has a dummy, take that for after.

I know it sounds horrible but honestly, by the time the imms have been done and plasters put on their legs, they are cooing and smiling to the nurse!
my4beauties View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote my4beauties Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2007 at 2:20pm
Yes unfortunately it's gonna hurt them for a short while & the worst part is you can't help that! I usually give my kids pamol about half an hour before the appt so it will kick in as soon as the imms are done.

Basically with it being his first, you don't know how he'll react, so make sure your day is free from any other appts or arrangements & just be at Alex's beck n call. He may be absolutely fine, but also could be a little unsettled. So hard to tell. Try not to worry before-hand too much ok.
My babies:

R (9),G (7), J (5)

Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2007 at 2:25pm
Yep pretty much like the others have said. Take him in the morning, and not on a fri, so if he did have a reaction you would be able to take him back to the Dr later that day or the next day. We only gave Isla 2 at a time not the whole 3,...we choose to do the menzb seperatley and have taken her 2 weeks after the other injections each time. We chose to do this cos we thought 3 is a lot at once,..and giving just one in each leg, it would be easy to know which one was the problem if a reaction occured.
Lots of cuddles straight after and feed him. Also be careful the way u hold him and lie him afterwards cos the leg with the tetanus one will be tender for a few days.
.Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2007 at 2:26pm
Send your partner in, while you sit in the waiting room... I'm a sook and couldn't handle it. I gave both kids some pamol before hand, and then again 4 hrs later...both of them seemed to cope well afterwards though.
Mr Mellow (16)
Miss Attitude (8)
Destructa Kid (3)

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2007 at 2:35pm

I had PND at the time and made DH come along....poor bugger.

For our 1st lot we gave Tyrell some Pamol after, but we were lucky and he didn't react to them at all. Thankfully we have a chubby bubba and he hardly felt it by the look of him.

So for the next couple we have not given him anything, the last lot he was laughing and didn't even notice them going in.

I would agree lots of hugs and maybe a feed after,

MissCandice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissCandice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2007 at 3:07pm
How many do they get at the 6 week? Something i have to look forward too.. Im so new to this.
~ Mummy to a beautiful girl ~
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2007 at 3:22pm
I gave Daniel a feed straight after his, helped him to forget about what just happened..

He reacted quite badly to one of his, the only way he would sleep was on me..

Next time I'm gonna make sure that no visitors come over and have everything I need within arms reach so I don't have to move basically lol.
ShellandBella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShellandBella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2007 at 3:32pm
Yeah, I've got this to look forward to too . Great advice though guys

Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2007 at 3:37pm
They have 3 injections -
DTaP-IPV (Diptheria-tetanus-acellular Pertussis(whooping cough)),
Hib-HepB (Haemophilus influenzae type b- Hep B vaccine), and
MeNZB

at 6 weeks, 3 months,and 5 months, then anothe MeNZB at 10 months,..then more at 15 months and 4 years!
jaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2007 at 8:27pm
Caleb had his a few days ago. We went in the morning in case he had a reaction. I fed him, he fell asleep in my arms than got woken up when we stripped him down for his jabs. He squawked, I fed him again, gave him Pamol and he had a big long sleep. He slept lots that day and the next. I gave him two lots of Pamol.
yummymummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yummymummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2007 at 9:22pm
Our 6 weeks ones were the worst of them all. I learnt the hard way and for the 3 month & 5 month ones gave Gina some Pamol 30 min beforehand and she reacted much better. Of course she was older too so hard to tell - they are all the same strength (I asked our nurse) so the injections may be easier to handle when older. Just be ready to give your little ones lots of cuddles and kisses - and a feed if they need it. We also carry a toy I can distract her with - seemed to help.

Post Reply Post Reply