FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMy foray into cloth nappies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>
Author
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2005 at 3:04pm
i brought a snappi from farmers yesterday, how cool are they?   i sucked at pins, took nearly half an hour to get the pins in the nappy right but the snappi - wow - easy peasy.

nikki, did you not get the hemp thing to stuff your swaddlebee with? and to stuff with a flat did you just fold it a million times?

Sponsored Links

nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2005 at 7:26pm
yep got the hemp thingy... it's so thin compared to using a flat!!!

figured out the whole flat thing. i was going to buy some more stuffer things but might go with flats for now.

still have to save money to accumulate nappies.

i might be adventurous and try something other than pockets. this whole washable nappy thing is so addictive!!!
fattartsrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2005 at 9:30pm
I finally got my trial nappy from Real Nappies.
I liked it, but it was so bulky compared to the disposibles!!, it almost came down to his knees!!!
I agree with you Nikki, the washable nappy thing is addictive, it makes me feel really "motherish", although
first time he wore it, he did a ginourmous poo, and it went EVERYWHERE,and I wasn't that keen on scrubbing breastmilk poos off the nappy and cover! The only other wee "moan" was with them being bulkier, his pants seem tighter, so I hope they aren't uncomfortable for him?
The Honest Un PC Parent of 2, usually stuck in the naughty corner! :P

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2005 at 10:35pm
ah the bliss of finally having more solid poos (altho they are a lot more stinky ) - no more explosions!

haha my friend was telling someone that i am going to start using washables and i think she said "Nikki's going to be a 'real mum' now!" haha I think her Mum was pretty old school as far as nappies go
angel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2005 at 11:18pm
Yep youve got it - fold the flat or hemp flat a hundred and one times into a pad shape

jacobsmama - there is a product called a Little Squirt that you can buy now... it hooks up to the pipe that fills your toilet, and its like a wee water spray gun and you hose the poo into the toilet. I dont have one but have heard lots of good things about them (espeically for runny breastfed baby poo!). Im not too sure what the nappy is that you have from Real Nappies, but if you want to see one thats really trim, try a Fuzzibunz trial nappy Fuzzibunz site
Aimee
Ella - 5.5 years old!
Toby - nearly 3 years old!
aimeejoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimeejoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2005 at 9:37am
Well, so much for no disposables on my baby!! I had such good intentions, but have decided that for the first few weeks its disposables at night while I'm still trying to sort out this whole being a mum thing! Am using cloth during the day tho (just flats with a disposable liner with a cover) but they just seem so huge on her - makes her easy to hold tho! When she is a little bigger, I have a few trial naps to try - cant wait!
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2005 at 11:19am
Thanks for tht tip, Aimee, will look into the squirty gun thingy. I have seen the Fuzzi a few times and seen a demo, and I really love them and the idea of them, but I can't convince hubby the money's worth it. I've shown him how much we would save, but??
The real nappy dosen't look so bad today, maybe I am just used to looking at trim disposible bum. I can use my flats in the cover as well. it just stretches his clothes is the only bummer.. might get a fuzzi trial nappie anyway.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2005 at 12:47pm
Aimee... don't feel bad, so much to get used to with a new babe! i had every intention of using cloth as well but it all went out the window as soon as i had her and realised that it wasn't easy with a baby!!!

only just getting into cloth now at 12 months (in my defence, i only have a communal laundry which is down about 50 steps... such a mongrel to get to!)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2005 at 2:34pm
Have been using cloth today. and am desperatley trying to remember how to fold flats!! Jake did another poo and it went all over the real nappy cover, so thought I'd stay with cloth today and just try flats...........
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2005 at 3:25pm
i put cloth on Jake when he was little, just a flat one and I agree Aimee, it looks huge and about to fall off!!!! My mum could do it better but I was terrible, so Jake would pee once and it would be everywhere!! An entire change. So cloth went out the window. Now as Jake's one, we are going to try again. Mum is busy sewing some trial nappies for us to try. Hopefully a wee (heheh) bit better than the flat cloth
newmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2005 at 8:45pm
Tried my fuzzi buns trial nappy today and it was great. It didn't seem much bigger than a disposable at all actually. I think we are going to go for it but I will test a few more times first.... YAY!!

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2005 at 4:35pm
i got my sample real nappies prefold at the show on the weekend, they are exactly the same as snazzipants' prefolds. found another company too, econappies.
http://www.econappies.co.nz/

they looked cheapr, unfortunately i didnt have time to check them out at the show so cant comment on their nappies.

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2005 at 2:11pm
yippee - my new cutie bums fitted nappy came in the post today - it looks so cool. it seems to be really well made and wont be as hard to dry as the snazzipants cause it has a fold out soaker.

now i am waiting on my cover from nix napz and my fuzzis. just not gonna tell hubby what i have brought anymore.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2005 at 2:19pm
Ooh, whats cutie bums? haven't heard of them, are they on the web? Also nix naps?
Cheers for any help, keen to get into the cloth thing, although hubby maons at my spending over it! lol!
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2005 at 3:56pm
cutie bums sell on trade me, the one i got is blue with coloured stars..
and nix napz are a cover from nix kidz - this is the website:

http://nix-kidz.co.nz/index.html

my fuzzis came today too and are in the wash as we speak. i love the bug print one.

angel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2005 at 8:17pm
Ooohhh Im glad you ladies are getting right into it!!!

You should be able to find most types of nappies/covers on trademe, new and secondhand
Aimee
Ella - 5.5 years old!
aimeejoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimeejoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2005 at 5:35pm
Aimee, what did you use on Ella when she was a newborn? Am just using flats with a disposable liner and covers at the moment but at each change the nappies are just soaked! Its not so bad cos she getting changed every few hours but at night she sleeps longer so am using disposables I have a few other naps (a FB and a nap-nap) but they just seem too huge on her at the moment.
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08
angel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2005 at 8:53pm
SHAME on me I didnt know about the marvellous world of modern cloth when Ella was newborn

What I plan to use for #2 would be snappied prefolds with a pull on wool or polarfleece cover or bummis whisper pants.

Also, fitted nappies like Rosies newborn sized nappies I have heard people rave about... might be worth getting a few newborn sized fitteds?
Aimee
Ella - 5.5 years old!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2005 at 9:11pm
Ok, smartypants, i just looked at your website at your AWESOME sewing, and what I want to know is do you make those naps to sell?
aimeejoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimeejoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2005 at 10:13am
Thanks for that Aimee - will do some more investigating. Just dont want to spend too much $$ on ones she wont fit for long.
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>