FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMy foray into cloth nappies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 14>
Author
newmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2005 at 8:07am
Oh my goodness!! How cute!!

Sponsored Links

nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2005 at 1:58pm
Very cute. Thanks for that Deb
Yeah, I was meaning to ask, are the nappies leaking because of the cut or should I be stuffing them with something more?
What should I be using at night?
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2005 at 6:28pm
thanks guys, i think hes pretty cute too.

nikki the swaddlebee website says not to be used for heavy wetters so i wouldnt use them overnight, i use them as an interim nappy mainly.
for overnight maybe two inserts in your fuzzi and/or a doubler too. would depend on if you are changing during the night and how much they wet etc.

i will be getting my rosies all in one next week and i cant wait to try that.

fattartsrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2005 at 7:15pm
OOOHHH let us know how it goes! I just scored another bummis whisper wrap, one with the snaps instead of velcro. Am going to ring the fuzzibuns lady here in blenners nxt week for a sample, providing the care Jake goes to is happy with cloth (I know creches often arent)
The Honest Un PC Parent of 2, usually stuck in the naughty corner! :P
k&jsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k&jsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2005 at 9:05pm
right - i have been reading all the info you ladies have been sharing and also checked out TM and some of the sites but i am confused. I had the boys in Weenies last year/start of this year that my friend has loaned me and just put normal folded nappies and liners in them. This was ok for the day but one of my boys is the hugest pee machine so have to have him in a huggies at night. Anyway am keen to get back into cloth again even tho will prob be for only 1 more year but i so dont know where to start. Do these nappy covers not use the good old cloth now? And how many do you think you need for each child? Any advice would be absolutley fantastic
Marlene
Keegan ~ 14 October 2003
Jaidyn ~ 14 October 2003

k&jsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k&jsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2005 at 9:07pm
Also has anyone come across any that are greatover night for the pee machine baby?
Marlene
Keegan ~ 14 October 2003
Jaidyn ~ 14 October 2003

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2005 at 9:17pm
I use my old styles flat ones, folded in these new covers, with liners. I like the bummis covers, nice and waterproof, alhtough haven't done it for overnight yet. I'm sure someone told me today that snazzipants are good for big wetters (Jake is a BIG wetter as well) but not too sure. I think they use bummis covers as well, but maybe they have an all in one? G's mum will know!

Edited by jacobsmama
newmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2005 at 9:50am
Joey is a pee machine too! I need (in my fuzzi) a liner and a doubler during the day so I am too scared to try at night as I really can't be bothered changing everything at 2am although my fuzzis agent assures me he will stay dry and I should really try it I am not so sure hmmmmmm I will stick to Huggies I think (at night) they are the only ones he doesn't wet right through.

I have ordered an economy pack which is 8 fuzzis plus I have the trial one and that will do me during the day I am sure. I do a load of washing every night anyway so I am not too worried about extra washing.

aimeejoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimeejoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2005 at 12:39pm
I love my fuzzi!! Trying to save up some $$ so I can buy more
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2005 at 2:44pm
k & j's mum - sounds like weenies are just a cover as are bummis and you can put old style nappies in them or prefolds, but they prob wouldnt be the best for overnight.
fuzzi bunz are a pocket nappy and they can be stuffed with as much or as little as is needed so are good for overnight, and you can use your older nappies for those too. the snazzipantssite has a comparison chart which i found quite helpful.

also if you want to read how other mums have got on with diff sorts of nappies the nappy networkforum has reviews on all sorts of nappys and accessories. i found this really helpful too.

angel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2005 at 9:31pm
gsmum - very cute! Ella is still up there, not the first one at 10 weeks (thats a different Ella) but the second one, at 10 months, asleep in the yellow beanbag.

Nikki - what are you stuffing your pockets with? Might need just a little more oomph in them - put in a doubler and see how you get on. Or, if the inserts arent completely wet when they leak, you might need to strip the fleece liner. They can get a buildup of a number of things and stop wicking effectively. If you use creams on Hannah's bottom they will rub on the fleece and gunk it up. Sometimes not being rinsed well enough after washing can cause it too.

For nighttime, put a hemp flat under whatever you would use during the day, and and extra doubler and see how you get on. Hemp is more absorbant than cotton or microfibre, and holds the moisture better, so its ideal for nighttime. Best to have something quick-absorbing like cotton or microfibre closest to bubs skin as the hemp may not suck all the wee in quick enough if they let alot go at once.

K&J's mum, alot of the nappies available now are either covers, which you can still use with the flannel flats, or pockets, which you can stuff with flannel flats. I use flannel flats everyday, inside pocket nappies. Theyre great because they dry so fast - a bonus down south here. Pocket nappies like fuzzibunz are good for over night because you can stuff them with heaps. Like I said above, add in hemp at night. You can get hemp flats from snazzipants. If you get some - dont be alarmed at the size of them!! They are smaller than a flannel flat, but thats because they dont need to be as big as a flannel flat to be more absorbant!

The Nappy Network forum is excellent
Aimee
Ella - 5.5 years old!
Toby - nearly 3 years old!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2005 at 11:17pm

Interesting reading for those of us just getting into the cloth thing, Thanks!!

Ana, I have to say, that pic of Joey is soooo cute, it makes me go all mushy and smiley when I see it, I love it!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2005 at 3:14pm
Right, I think we've got the leaking thing sorted.
I realised that the nappies that were leaking were the ones that I only stuffed with a flannel flat so I have just been sticking with the microfibre inserts that came with my fuzzibunz (apparently absorb as much as the inserts that come from the NZ fuzzibunz dealer + a doubler) so they have been great.
Over night I figured if I add a flat to the fuzzibunz soaker then she doesn't leak either!
So yay!!! Figured it out (for now) and have ordered some more inserts from the fuzzibunz lady in CHCH.

Have been getting heaps of comments from people when out and about (like at creche xmas do) so I'm quite proud of myself being a cloth nappy mum now (geeky I know!)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2005 at 3:16pm
Oh, and have also used the swaddlebee nappy a couple of times again and it hasn't leaked so I think maybe the leaking was overflow from the situation which Aimee described in that the hemp couldn't absorb as fast as Hannah was peeing. So anyway, is a nice trim nappy to use when I am in between washes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2005 at 4:16pm
I love changing Jakes naps at things when he's in cloth, its not Geeky, Nikki, its cool as!
AnnaD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnnaD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2005 at 8:22am
ANGEL!! I have just been checking out your website and your sewing is FANTASTIC!! I am envious, you are so clever!! Your nappies look amazing, I am feeling so inspired! Just wish I could sew...
Anna and Quinn 10 July 2004
www.quinnariki.blogspot.com
and one more on the way....

newmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2005 at 9:25am
Still waiting for my fuzzis.....

Thanks for the nice comment Jacobsmama. I can't believe how much better a smile from Joey makes me feel if I am having a bad day!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2005 at 10:10am
He is just delish!!
They make the rainbows come outon rainy days, don't they? (man, that is cheesy...)
newmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2005 at 10:44am
but sooo true

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2005 at 11:26am
hey nikki - where did you get your fuzzis from?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 14>