FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHouse insulation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
emmaohara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emmaohara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: House insulation
    Posted: 10 September 2007 at 11:07am
My friend was saying she heard that the Government have a subsidy scheme for insulation, I have hunted but can't find any information and have no idea who to ring.

Has anyone had this subsidy or know who to contact?, our house is over 100 years old and has no insulation anywhere, freeeeezzzzzing!!, its also huge so we can't afford to even start doing it....

Thanks ladies

Sponsored Links

aimeejoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimeejoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2007 at 11:24am
Is it healthy homes? I think the govt only subsidise if someone in the home has health probs related to no insulation - asthma or other respiratory conditions. I think it is run through your ocal council and they have a certain amount they have funding for each year so there may be a waiting list. Might be worth asking your gp next time you are there or phoning the council.
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2007 at 11:55am
Didn't Jack&Charli (Vanessa) just get a grant like this?
AnnC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnnC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2007 at 12:34pm
hi
we have just been approved to get our home 'retrofitted' which is through the better homes taranaki. Retrofitting is doing, under floor instualtion, roof space instalation, draft stopping external door and all windows, wrapping your hot water cylinder and also putting in fire alarms if need be. You have to apply for it and then it goes to a board to reveiw.
The criteria for it is:(i copied from site)

This project is primarily aimed at:

• All dwellings built before 1978
• People with health needs (such as respiratory conditions) which are being
affected by their cold, damp home
• People on limited and low incomes
• Individuals, families (particularly those with young children), the elderly,
landlords and tenants
• It's a coordinated project by a number of central and local government and
non-government agencies to ensure we, and our families, live and grow up in
healthy homes.
• These agencies are working together to provide insulation "retro-fitting"
for homes with up to 100% of the Retro-fit cost being subsidised depending
upon the financial and health situation of the occupants - and the age of the
property.
• Each home that has been retro-fitted to bring it as close as practicable to the requirements of the current Building Act will be registered on the relevant District Council's individual property files.
• A registered Healthy Home is a valuable asset for property investors and landlords - and is a warmer, dryer and healthier home to live in for owners and tenants.

heres a link for your area:

EnergySmart

go to the 'case study' tab and 'Wairarapa Healthy Homes Case Study' and it gives you details there.

Good luck. I can't wait till ours gets done.

Edited by AnnC
Ann

Also Mum to Josh (15) and Brooke (10)
AnnC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnnC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2007 at 12:43pm
I also found this site helpful:

EECA

BUT.. I would still apply if you haven't got a CS Card as you may qualify for a discount retrofitting.

Edited by AnnC
Ann

jack_&_charli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jack_&_charli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2007 at 5:58pm
yes we just got our insulation and a heatpump subsidised. ours was through community energy action but i think they are just a local group.

you could try doing a google search and see what comes up.

could luck, i hope you can get some help, it's definately worth it!

emmaohara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emmaohara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2007 at 7:48am
Awesome thanks ladies

11111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 11111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2007 at 7:57am

Originally posted by AnnC AnnC wrote:

hi
we have just been approved to get our home 'retrofitted' which is through the better homes taranaki. Retrofitting is doing, under floor instualtion, roof space instalation, draft stopping external door and all windows, wrapping your hot water cylinder and also putting in fire alarms if need be. You have to apply for it and then it goes to a board to reveiw.
The criteria for it is:(i copied from site)

This project is primarily aimed at:

• All dwellings built before 1978
• People with health needs (such as respiratory conditions) which are being
affected by their cold, damp home
• People on limited and low incomes
• Individuals, families (particularly those with young children), the elderly,
landlords and tenants
• It's a coordinated project by a number of central and local government and
non-government agencies to ensure we, and our families, live and grow up in
healthy homes.
• These agencies are working together to provide insulation "retro-fitting"
for homes with up to 100% of the Retro-fit cost being subsidised depending
upon the financial and health situation of the occupants - and the age of the
property.
• Each home that has been retro-fitted to bring it as close as practicable to the requirements of the current Building Act will be registered on the relevant District Council's individual property files.
• A registered Healthy Home is a valuable asset for property investors and landlords - and is a warmer, dryer and healthier home to live in for owners and tenants.

heres a link for your area:

EnergySmart

go to the 'case study' tab and 'Wairarapa Healthy Homes Case Study' and it gives you details there.

Good luck. I can't wait till ours gets done.

This is what we are we were going to get done here but our landlord stupidlly kicked us out so we are going to see what our new house has and maybe get that one done instead.

Deborah Mum to:

emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2007 at 4:42pm
Different areas can have different things, like Christchurch has the clean heat project to reduce pollution in the city (it gets quite smoggy with the way the land is etc). The previous owners of our place had the logburner subsidised, and I know you can get other heating things and insulation costs subsidised. A lot of criteria that needs to be met, and I'm pretty sure it's the same for most local agencies.
DJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2007 at 12:56pm

Good luck in getting a grant to get the insulation done.

If you can't, then my advice is to put new/ some pink batts in the ceiling as a priority. Our house is 1940's and used to be sooooo cold.

Over the past few years we relined all the walls and insulated, and put polystyrene under the floor - this all helped a bit, but this year we finally did the ceiling. Well, the difference is incredible!

We should have done the ceiling first because that is where most of the heat loss is, but we thought because there was old insulfluff that it would be ok - this taught us that 50yr+ old stuff is useless...
buzimumto3boys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buzimumto3boys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2007 at 9:51am
We have a problem with Mould in this house and got told the insulfluff stuff was to blame as over time in condenses down and traps the moisture?!
So now we have to remove it all and put bats in for next winter... also want to get underfloor stuff done... have heard all the bad things about that aluminium type stuff so we will go for the polystyrene type. (If we are still living here by then I guess!!)
AnnC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnnC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2007 at 10:26am
we use to get mould on our bedroom walls, u know the condesation type, I was forever cleaning our walls. we got a HRV put in last summer (2 years ago) and its been soo good have never had to clean the walls once. And thats from cleaning 5 times per winter to none.. great stuff

As for insulation they are doing, ceiling, underfloor and draft stops so I am hoping it will warm the house up alot as we have none in anywhere (except part of the ceiling which might as well not be there!)
Ann

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buzimumto3boys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2007 at 1:00pm
Yeah I want a HRV but we are a bot tight with money at the moment (Darn interest rates on a floating mortgage!!) and also we arent sure if we will stay in this house or in Auckland so dont want to spend too much money as we will have to re paint etc because of the recurring mould.
AnnC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnnC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2007 at 1:50pm
how come you are on floating mortgage - me being nosey there as the 'banker' in me coming out

HRV is thee best thing we got for this house - has made a huge difference - even the kids don't get sick as often (only one cold each so far and rhyley hasn't had anything)
Ann

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buzimumto3boys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2007 at 2:03pm
LOL we got this place nearly 5 years ago (family trust) and put it on fixed... then it came off and went on to floating... grrrr... then we didnt want to fix it while it was still so high so we left it and here we are Grrrr. Dont know if the rates will come down so havent decided what to do.

Its our first mortgage... so didnt really know what we were doing! HAHA And my parents who are in the trust dont really know either! Its been fun and games lately! LOL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buzimumto3boys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2007 at 2:04pm
I have heard great things about HRV etc and we will most likely get one if we stay... before next winter but things are up in the air at the moment. That little emoticon seems to describe me in general at the moment LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply