FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedshould i test?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Faraway View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faraway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: should i test?
    Posted: 13 September 2007 at 11:26am
I'm not TTC at the moment but thought all you lovely ladies in this thread are all so knowledgeable you might be able to give me some advice

I got AF back when my son was 3months then again 30days later (who knows why I put date on calendar have NEVER done before) and by my calculation I should have got it again about the 6th Sep (if it had followed 30day cycle). It is now a week later eek!!
I wasn't that regular pre-pregnancy but AF kinda came on roughly the same date every month (even by this reasoning it should've been here around 8-10th).

So should I test? If I do and its negative what are the chances it would be a false negative?

What other factors would make AF go all over place? Could it hormones in my system from pregnancy??
Sponsored Links

yummymummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yummymummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2007 at 11:34am
Are you still b/feeding? I know that can muck it up AF.
Do you have any funny symptoms? Nausea?
You could always test of course - I'd recommend getting a Discover early result test from the pharmacy as they can pick up quite low levels of hgc. Otherwise you could get a false negative as your hgc levels will be too low for the test to pick up.
An example: I tested on a Sunday and got a negative, then tested on the following Wednesday and got a positive.

AnnC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnnC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2007 at 11:35am
r you still Breast feeding? That would make it all over the place. If you suspect in anyway that you could be pregant i would test - peace of mind and all that
Ann

Also Mum to Josh (15) and Brooke (10)
Faraway View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faraway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2007 at 11:47am
Nope not BF - didn't have enough milk so was doing 50/50 with formula until Kaleb was 7 weeks old.
Think I might have to test for piece of mind. Am just worried if I test and its neg then later find out it was false? Don't want to wait too long though as keep thinking about all the ham, runny eggs and stuff I have eaten this week (before looking at dates )
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2007 at 12:50pm
Your post-baby ovulating etc may still be settling down but I'd still do a test - peace of mind as the others say. Then mark another month on the calendar to check if anything seems to be happening then.
Helen21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Helen21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2007 at 2:19pm
If I was you I'd buy a HPT with two test in it, do one now then if it's a BFN do the other one in a week if AF does't turn up. My midwife told me that you are the most fertile in the months after giving birth, I'm not too sure why this is I just remember her saying it because I was so paranoid about getting pg so soon.
Faraway View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faraway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2007 at 2:41pm
Yeah I've been really paranoid so if I'm preg then I'm never going to trust a particular type of birth control again!!!
Bought a test read instructions did test and it came back invalid. I'm home now so I'll have to go out tomorrow and get one. I have a track record of not getting any result on preggy tests and have often had to do more than one....
Helen21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Helen21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2007 at 4:01pm
Invalid? That's strange I've never had one of those before. Maybe a blood test would be more reliable. I don't trust any forms of birth control, after getting pg on the pill the first time then getting pg while on the injection the 2nd time destroyed any faith I had them. Funny thing is now I'm TTC I can't seem to get pg! Maybe if I go back on the pill or injection I will get pg
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2007 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by Helen21 Helen21 wrote:

Invalid? That's strange I've never had one of those before. Maybe a blood test would be more reliable. I don't trust any forms of birth control, after getting pg on the pill the first time then getting pg while on the injection the 2nd time destroyed any faith I had them. Funny thing is now I'm TTC I can't seem to get pg! Maybe if I go back on the pill or injection I will get pg

I had the same problem, two unplanned pregnancies then when we planned one it didn't happen! Well it did, it just took a lot longer than we expected it would.

Good luck tomorrow Faraway!
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
Helen21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Helen21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2007 at 2:36pm
Just wondering if you have had a chance to test again?
Faraway View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faraway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2007 at 2:00pm
Yeah been in ROtorua for the weekend. i tested on Friday when we got there and came back negative then AF arrived late last night. Only 9 days late!!??!!
Was kinda hoping I wasn't preggers as that would mean 2 in 13/14months but when AF arrived I was a little disappointed. Probably because DH and I had spent a few days talking about what would happen (work,$ wise etc) if I was.
Oh well I get to enjoy my little boy a little bit longer on his own
Helen21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Helen21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2007 at 4:55pm
That's good AF arrived so you know whats going. At least now you have the option to decide if you want another baby so soon or not.
caitlynsmygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2007 at 1:29pm
edited

Edited by caitlynsmygirl
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2007 at 1:42pm
Most of the early pg symptoms are not very different to AF or even a tummy ache. I sometimes wish that being pg would change your urine colour without a doubt LOL
caitlynsmygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2007 at 1:47pm
edit

Edited by caitlynsmygirl
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2007 at 1:50pm
Well they say that if it doesn't show on a test, try again next morning or ask the docs for a blood test.
chonny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2007 at 1:58pm
i agree busy mum!

When i was pregnant with Vincent, i had major cramps! and hadn't had my AF for two months. was taking pg tests all the time, all negative. Every other time i thought i was pregnant, i was like, am i or arent i, but this time, i was like... i know i am... But my doc at the time woudn't do bloods or anything coz urine was negative yet i was still having yuckly tummy.

Did another test on the sat and had very faint 2nd line so went to dif dr on thurs i think it was, and the test was faint again but she said it was deffinately pos. ended up in hosp coz i was so sore, in case it was in wrng place etc. i was only 4 wks! very exciting, but also annoying coz had tested so many times!

Oh well, bit of insight to someone else having all BFN's but it being BFP!

now, we trying for 2nd, and i have a few cramps, AF due end of this week, but am really hoping and thinkin i am preg. Should i test or wait to see if AF comes?

Post Reply Post Reply