FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked1st Pregnancy & Twins: would I be crazy?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
tishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1st Pregnancy & Twins: would I be crazy?
    Posted: 14 September 2007 at 1:10pm
I'd make this a poll if I could

Before I found out that I had 2 bubs on the way I'd been thinking about using cloth nappies.
However, with 2 newborns to look after, I'm not so sure whether it's so feasible anymore.
DH thinks I'd be crazy to go the cloth nappies route.

Me, I don't know, I know disposables would be much easier, but the thought of chucking 20 nappies in the bin every day just doesn't sit well with me.

Also both our families live on the other side of the world so we won't have the family support during the initial few weeks/months.

Part of the reason for this post is to strengthen my argument to DH that we could use the cloth nappies. At the moment it's just a feeling that I have with no valid argument to back it up.

So! Any twin mums out there using cloth nappies? What wise words of wisdom do you have for me!

Did you start using them from birth or after a few weeks/months?
Sponsored Links

nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2007 at 1:30pm
I'd not say you were crazy! Go for it!

I know Emma uses cloth on her little ones.
yummymummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yummymummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2007 at 1:43pm
I'd say maybe use disposables for the first few weeks while things settle down a little and then switch to cloth.

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2007 at 1:44pm
I'd do it if I had twins! Washing cloth nappies isn't exactly hard and I'd hate to think how much sposies would cost for twins!
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2007 at 2:04pm
I would do it too! Twin bums in cloth look soo cutey! Lol! Once u have done 100 posts u will be able to check out pics of the Gremlins (Emma's twin girls) with matching cloth botts! We are so used to cloth that the washing really isnt an extra chore- u gonna be doing tonnes of washing anyways!
caraMel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caraMel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2007 at 2:15pm
You can do it!
Agree with using sposies for the first week or so, those first poo's are nasty!
Modern cloth really is just as easy as sposies, and its little/no extra work when you can rinse then chuck them in with the rest of your washing.
My hubby was hard to convince at first. Seeing the cost of buying them initially frightened him.
Once I showed him what secondhand nappies were selling for on TM and added up the annual cost of sposies he was all for it though!

As a complete aside, how cute is that scan pic of your wee bubbas?!!!?!

Mel, Mummy to E: 6, B: 4 and:

tishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2007 at 2:27pm
Thanks girls!

Can you chuck them in the tumble dryer or are they supposed to be line dried?
Suppose different brands have different recommendations. I know what I'll be looking into over the weekend before I go and bombard DH with lots of advantages to cloth nappies

I think maybe learning to BF 2 bubs at once will be highest priority the first few weeks and after then I can start onto the nappies.
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2007 at 2:32pm
You can use drier, but it wears the nappies faster, and sunlight is good for stain removal!
aimeejoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimeejoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2007 at 2:52pm
You could always order a hire kit for the first few months then there isnt the large outlay of money, plus you can see which types you like before buying in the next size.
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2007 at 3:30pm
I would stock up now on medium size, which you bubbies will not fit until after about 6mos, depending on how prem/light they are. That way you have the first few months to get feeding established, your head out of the smog of new motherhood, and don't have to also worry about having nappies washed and dried and inside at the right times. Add them into your routine once you've got a couple of months covered.
Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2007 at 3:34pm
Emma has her twins in cloth and she copes fine (her bank account however thanks to a healthy addiction is another story!!! eh babe??)

But seriously, you can totally do it....go for it girl!

lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2007 at 9:57pm
I don't have twins but we got medium fuzzis for my son when he was 3 months old..now 18 months and still wearing the same size. they paid for themselves after 4 months, so I;ve pretty much been saving for well over a year now. Don't work out how much they will cost (fuzzis do payment plans too which are fabulous), but work out how long it will take you to pay for them, and then when you will just be pure saving. (hope that makes sense)

another thing to take into account - all those nappies in the rubbish - cost a fortune in rubbish bags!
peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2007 at 10:14pm
I am managing really well with one newborn and dont think cloth nappies on twins would be the hardest thing you'll have to deal with

DOnt let people put you off...remember our mothers did it with the old fashioned flats and before that our grandmothers did it without washing machines.
nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2007 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by nzpiper nzpiper wrote:

DOnt let people put you off...remember our mothers did it with the old fashioned flats and before that our grandmothers did it without washing machines.

So completely right. 'Tis all about perspective.
AN E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AN E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2007 at 12:22pm
I actually feel guilty for only having three or four naps to wash each night! At least twice that amount would make it seem more worth while!

Definitely go spoisies to start with and get your head around having two... and feeding etc... No need to rush into it as you will have heaps on your plate. You can then gradually move into cloth, maybe just doing daytime for a while (that's how I started anyway!)

Good luck!!!
tishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2007 at 8:54pm
Thanks very much for all your information and support! I was at the Parent and child show today in Wellies asking loads of questions to the different companies as well.
Lots to think about! 6 months seems like an eternity away but it's not really. haha!
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2007 at 9:02pm
LOL tishy, it's not... and especially with twins cause it may be one month less
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2007 at 12:03am
Do it, do it, do it Tishy! My gremlins went thru a box of Huggies a week for the first two weeks so I quickly decided that they were going into cloth quick smart. I'd already done traditional cloth flats with Maya but have been well and truly suckered into MCN's this time around. I just throw them in with the baby clothes,a nd to be totally honest I never line dry them, everything goes thru the dryer and they come out fine.

When I get a chance I'll PM you some pics of them in cloth and if you look at my baby diary on the main OHbaby! site one of the entries is about their cloth nappies, and it has a pic.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
tishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2007 at 1:21pm
haha! busymum! It could actually be closer to 4 months then cos I'll be 16 weeks on Tuesday!

Hopefully I'll follow in my Mums footsteps though, she was induced for every one of her pregnancies. 42 weeks for her 3 singleton ones and at 39 weeks her twin pregnancy.

Anyway back on topic, Emma those MCNs are sooo cute. I saw lots of them yesterday at the expo. If I'd managed to drag DH to the show then I'm sure he'd have been sold on them also.

One of the exhibitors said that just before me a woman had been inquiring about cloth nappies for her sister who was expecting quads! Which, may I add, had been conceived without the use of IVF.
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2007 at 1:50pm
quads
*picks self up off floor*

So you're another who has a mum who has had twins - does that make you a twin yourself? (Gwen_ is the other one in case you're wondering, her twin girls are 5mos old and she is a twin herself).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>