FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhen to start taking folic acid

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Leelee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leelee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: When to start taking folic acid
    Posted: 23 September 2007 at 8:21am
DF and I are going to start ttc #1 early next year so I was wanting to know when shoud I start taking folic acid and what is the best type?
Sponsored Links

mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2007 at 8:28am
usually they say from 3 months before conceiving so i guess.. start about 3 months before you want to start trying.

A good type is Apo-folic.. nice small little tablets (which is good when you finally do conceive and have morning sickness.. at least the tablet shouldn't make you hurl! lol) about $10 from the chemist for around 100 tablets.

Then once you do conceive you could probably switch if you wanted to something like elevit or some other pregnancy vits.. but well elevit is pretty much $1 per tablets (so around $100 for a container of 100 tablets ) which is a bit expensive to use whilst TTC really.
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2007 at 10:39am
My GP advised me to start taking folic acid, when I stop BCP. So that I'm covered when I conceive. You can get folic acid thru your GP a lot cheaper than the chemist.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2007 at 11:04am

You can get a script for the 800mg that you should be having. The last lot I got was $3 for 3 months worth.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
yummymummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yummymummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2007 at 12:58pm
I was told to take it a month beforehand and 3 months after.

kabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2007 at 1:56pm
The recommended dose is 0.8mg of folic acid per day. Alot of over the counter stuff is alot less than the reommended dose, so make sure you check the dosage before you buy. Like mum2paris I also used Apo-folic, which I got from the pharmacy.

caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2007 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by yummymummy yummymummy wrote:

I was told to take it a month beforehand and 3 months after.

The reason I was told to start taking it once, you stop birth control is cause most people don't know when the conceive and yes, you take it for the 1st trimester.

There are a lot of foods which contain folic acid / folate naturally. Marmite is a good source.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
WestiesGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestiesGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2007 at 11:11pm
Is it ok to start taking Folic Adic while taking BCP?
peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2007 at 10:11am
I would say start taking it now! It wont do you any harm and if you accidently fell pregnant a little earlier than planned you'd be covered. I used elevit for 3 months before and while it was expensive I liked that I was getting other things too. I am still using it now and my obstetrician suggested I stay taking folic acid as we plan to try and conceive number 2 in 4 months (OMG!!!!! did I say that?)

and make sure you are getting 800mg. Most only have 400so you need one specially for preggers!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestiesGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2007 at 12:53pm
LOL thanks nzpiper. I might start looking at the pharmacy at brands and prices. How much does it cost in NZ for Elevit? I imagine it would be a similar price in Aus too.
Our Angel July 08 Gone but not forgotten

And to complete our family, our princess has arrived
peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2007 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by cantwait cantwait wrote:

LOL thanks nzpiper. I might start looking at the pharmacy at brands and prices. How much does it cost in NZ for Elevit? I imagine it would be a similar price in Aus too.

Cheapest I have found is on www.ferrit.co.nz and they have it for around $92 for 100 tabs.
bumblefoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumblefoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2007 at 5:39pm

If you have a community services card, you can get a prescription from your GP for $3. Thats what I do. It is recommended that you start taking it 3 months prior and 3 months after conception, so if you are on a budget like we are, then the GP script is your best option.

I had a look at the Elevit, but since Im on Iron supplements already there wasn't much I'd be getting out of them especially since the price is quite prohibitive.

To us, we would rather spend the money on the big ticket items for the nursery, and my over rampant spending... Oops...!

Best of luck TTC, we look forward to seeing you in here!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestiesGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2007 at 5:50pm
Thanks ladies, much appreciated. I will check out the web site.

Unfortunately (oops, I didnt say that hehe) we are in Aus at the moment and their health system is a lot different to NZ. Their medication is disgustingly expensive so if its around $90 over the counter in NZ it will be similar or more here.

I will however try my GP here to see if I can get it on a script for cheaper, they may have it subsidised that way. Are their others similar to Elevit that are recommended?
Our Angel July 08 Gone but not forgotten

And to complete our family, our princess has arrived
 Post Reply Post Reply