FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSmellie Nappies

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AnnC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnnC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Smellie Nappies
    Posted: 01 October 2007 at 2:00pm
I am finding that my MCN and inserts are starting to smell a bit of urine (that anomiea(sp??) smell) I don't use much washing powder (about 1/2 scoop full load)

So how do you get them smelling nice. Do you put anything in with the wash to deordourize them?
Ann

Also Mum to Josh (15) and Brooke (10)
Sponsored Links

nicolaann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicolaann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2007 at 2:29pm
One of Alex's nappies was smelly, so I just used detol (the in wash stuff) in the wash and now it smells good again. (I washed it again afterwards though, as I didnt want the detol to cause a rash)

I was going to get some tea tree oil as I heard that was good for keeping them smelling nice. Haven't tried it yet though.
Nicky, Mum to Alex (5) & Sophie (3)
Mama2two View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mama2two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2007 at 3:06pm
We use the Dettol rinse as well and the nappies smell great (like eucyluptus (sp?)). Sam has terrible exczema and it doesn't cause a rash at all and we don't rinse them again after using it I forgot to put it in a load the other day and they smelled horrible even after being on the line all day in the sun

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2007 at 3:31pm
I put white vinegar in our wash, cause it's cheap and still does the job of keeping our nappies nice n fresh.
BaAsKa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaAsKa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2007 at 3:48pm
Our nappies have been smelling real bad lately too which i think is from Astins thrush and i have been putting teatree oil in but i dont like the smell so i shall try the detol or white vinegar
nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2007 at 11:45am
Sometimes naps get washing powder build up on them which seems to react with urine and cause a truly horrible smell.

So you need to strip them... to do this you do a hot wash with 1/2 a cup of vinegar and then a hot rinse with baking soda and then another rinse (of whatever temp) after that.

I found I needed to do a strip once every few months when the nappies had been in use for quite a while. But my nappies were thrashed as I only had about 9 of them.

HTH
Carmel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carmel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2007 at 11:48am
I soaked mine yesterday in a bucket of hot water with vinegar & baking soda for about 2 hours and then just did a normal cold wash and the smell was gone
 Post Reply Post Reply