FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked"Deep Heat" Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Deep Heat" Question
    Posted: 15 October 2007 at 9:44am

I have hurt my back and was wondering if its safe to rub deep heat on my back? Its up the top sort of under my shoulder blade. Its so painful and it makes walking and working hard

Sponsored Links

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2007 at 10:16am
I used deep heat during my pregnancy. My MIL asked the chemist whether is was ok first as I was paranoid about using anything but was facing a 28 hour flight home from the uk with an absolute killer neck ache.
Just don't use any of the nurofen creams as it is not good to take any anti inflammatories.
Hope that helps

MissCandice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissCandice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2007 at 10:28am
I asked my doctor when i was preggy as i had real bad hip pain.. she said not to use it.. after id been using it for a week and did say something else to use but cant for the life of me remember what..
~ Mummy to a beautiful girl ~
Red View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2007 at 10:41am
I don't see why you couldn't use it, although it is not that pleasant, antiflamme probably a nicer option to use.
MelandBri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelandBri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2007 at 10:43am
I was always told not to use it while I waas pregnant. But as its up high on your back I'd say it would be fine and as long as you don't use it too often.
daikini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daikini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2007 at 11:24am
From what I know, there's not a lot of difference between Deep Heat and the Nurofen creams... I have a medical condition that means I cannot take or use non-steroidal anti-inflamitories like anything in the Nurofen range and I'm also not supposed to use Deep Heat or Tiger Balm for the same reasons - to the extent I am not allowed to rub them onto Nathaniel because of the small amount that would get onto my hands.

Because of this, if I was allowed to use them normally I would avoid them in pregnancy.
Becca, mum of 2 girls & 3 boys
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2007 at 12:22pm
Hey Sheza,
I bought some heat pads, I think they were called curaheat (or something along those lines). They are non medicinal, you stick them to your clothing and they heat up to give relief. That might be a good idea to try after what Diakini has just said about deep heat.

daikini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daikini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2007 at 12:35pm
cuppatea, that's a great idea! Because I've never used topical creams etc, I use a hot wheat sack for muscle pain (or a bath/shower)... something like those heat pads would work wonders!
porcelina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote porcelina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2007 at 12:45pm
It's the menthol in it that they warn against, not enough studies have been done on the use of menthol in pregnancy. Something like anti-flamme might be safer.
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2007 at 1:00pm
Your not suppose to use any anti inflamme during pregnancy, it can cause miscarriage.

daikini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daikini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2007 at 1:09pm
The reason I can't use topical Deep Heat style creams (or take Nurofen or asprin/disprin) is because they contain medication that has the side effect of thinning the blood - meaning it doesn't clot as quickly or efficiently. My blood disorder aside, anything that could cause me to bleed easier in pregnancy is not something I would consider a safe product.

I admit I am biased in that most of my information is geared towards keeping me safe in my everyday life, but it is gathered from many conversations with a haemotologist, various GPs and a number of different pharmacists.
porcelina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote porcelina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2007 at 1:13pm
I wonder whats in that that can do that, I don't think there's any warnings on it either, though you really shouldn't use anything without consulting a naturopath, they are up with the play on herbs and thing. My friend used to work for the company that makes anti-flamme and apparently the head lady is anything but nice and caring!

At your stage pretty much the only thing that you could use is wheatbags/hot water bottles if they help. So much stuff is contraindicated in the first trimester

I haven't used anything except aromatherapy oils that the local aromatherapy school makes, they make a really good pregnancy aches and pains blend .... you could make it yourself even with only some of the ingredients (will just get it and see what's in it), though wait until you are over your first trimester:

Sweet Almond oil as a carrier base oil
Calendula
St Johns Wort
Macadamia
Lavender
Bergamot Roman
German Chamomile

There's another one they have for the last 6 weeks of pregnancy that is really good for the lower backaches:

Sweet Almond oil
Lavender
Rose Otto
Roman Chamomile

Oh and in pregnancy you should use half-strength oil (2-3 drops per 10ml of carrier oil).

Hope that helps!

Edited by porcelina
MissCandice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissCandice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2007 at 4:14pm
Antiflamme thats the one.. the doc said to use that instead of deep heat..
~ Mummy to a beautiful girl ~

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2007 at 8:29pm

Thanks Everyone , I decided against the deep heat and I have been using my wheat sack and just leaning back on the chair with it behind me and its heaven! Id rather not risk putting deep heat on my skin if it will cause something to go wrong when things are looking so good with this pregnancy.

Thanks for all your replys

emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2007 at 8:34pm
Hope your feeling better soon Sheza. Unfortunately pregnancy's one of those wonderful things where you can't take much, but don't worry it gets a lot worse! Like when you sneeze and put your back out (don't laugh - I did it 2 hours ago, was home alone and it took me a whole excruciating hour to get up! )
porcelina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote porcelina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2007 at 8:36pm
Also you may find that something like Deep Heat will hurt like a mother because your skin is more sensitive being pregnant so in order to not hit the roof wheatbags are nice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2007 at 8:49pm

Hehe not laughing emz, I feel your pain! All I did to put mine out was turn over in bed and bam!! I was in agony

Yeah thats a good point porcelina, Id rather have my wheat sack that burning skin Dont think I could handle, morning sickness, a sore back and burning skin at the same time

lil_miss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lil_miss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2007 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by BellaBabysMum BellaBabysMum wrote:

i used that herbal peppermint cream that comes in a purple tub on my back and hips and it was awesome!

Thats AntiFlamme :)

Post Reply Post Reply