FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedOnly One and over 35.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Only One and over 35.
    Posted: 18 October 2007 at 1:06pm
Not sure where to put this question but thought I'd start here.
Is anyone here planning on having only 1 child? Is anyone over 35 trying for No1.

DF and I will be starting TTC in the second half on next year by which time I will be 35.
DF is an Only One and is adamant we'll only have one child. I've always wanted 2.

I am wanting to know if there are any other in the over 35 age bracket and how have your found TTC, and if you are a mum how are you finding it.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
Sponsored Links

jaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2007 at 1:29pm
I'm over 35 and have just had my second baby but as there is a 12 year gap its like starting all over again. It's interesting comparing pregnancy and childbirth in my mid 20's to my latish 30's.

We were fortunate. Conception was fast, the pregnancy went well and childbirth was straightforward. I actually found the pregnancy far easier this time around, perhaps because I now have a sit down job and as I'm in a management position have a lot of autonomy over where, when and how I work (although much more stress).

Some of the differences in my attitude to parenting may be due to having child no.2 rather than being an older Mum. In general I feel much more relaxed and am happier to stay home in the weekends. As we are older and more financial we tend to eat out or have weekends away a lot more. Getting down on the floor is a little harder though so we've got a change table for this one.
.Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2007 at 1:39pm
I fell pregnant with our 3rd child at 34, I turned 35 in May, I too have quite big age gaps between the children (12, 5, 6wks) and definitely agree that it's like doing it all over again for the first time. Never believed that I could be this tired. There's definitely a lot more information available to us now than there was when I had my son in '95. The pregnancy was the same, the biggest issue I have had is breastfeeding, it was a breeze with the first two, this time around has been a huge challenge.

It took us 7 months to conceive that's the time from when I stopped taking the pill till the positive result.
Mr Mellow (16)
Miss Attitude (8)
Destructa Kid (3)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2007 at 1:40pm
Thanks Jaz, being secure financially is important to DF I think he's worried about how 'he' will manage with 2.

My job is flexible, and office based. I have found as I've got older I have much higher tolerance for small children than when I was in my 20s.

I do however feel like I'm the only 34 yr old without children where I live, and I am the last of my friends to start a family.

I guess you never know how it will turn out till you try.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
nictoddie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nictoddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2007 at 1:42pm
I was 34 when I had no 1, fell preggers within 3 months of coming off the pill, and 36 when I had no 2 and fell preggers straight away but I think I understood my body a bit better.
Frist pregnancy was a breeze but ended up being induced and having emerg c-section due to lip in pelvis which went undetected until and internal was done after 1 hour of pushing not impressed!
Second resulted in complications, our story is under prem birth, waters broke at 24 weeks and continued to leak through to 30 weeks with bleeding so out she came a perfect little girl my first was a boy 10lb6oz.

As for being and older mum I don't find it hard at all, we all loose the plot ocassionally no matter how old we are and children certainly know how to test the boundaries.

Best wishes for your ttc journey.
nictoddie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nictoddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2007 at 1:44pm
Oh and yup I am the same with being the only one from my single friends with young kids they all have teenagers.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2007 at 1:52pm
Thanks nictoddie, its great to know I'm not the only one in this situation. I did read your prem-birth story, it seems it can happen to anyone.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
nictoddie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nictoddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2007 at 1:55pm
Yup sure can it was a huge shock after going overdue and having such a big baby then to have complications but we are one of the lucky ones with a happy healthy wee girl
AnnC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnnC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2007 at 8:26pm
I had Rhyley at 34. I never thought i would have a baby in my 30's I had what I thought was my last at 25 and me and her father seperated and so that was it for me! or so I thought! I met Dh.... long story but we ended up having Rhyley. Pregnancy wasn't too bad - but got Gd's (never had with other 2) and he was breeched so ended up being a ceasar baby. Dh now wants another one - I am not so keen but not out ruled it quite yet (learnt my lesson!)

Alot of my friends are having their babies now - I was the only one with kids up until a few years ago - except those with older kids.

In the end you gotta do whats right for you and yours. Alot of people are waiting till they are in their 30's to get married and have kids now a days and getting more finacial freedom before taking that step so you will find that you aren't alone in your age group having babies.
Ann

Also Mum to Josh (15) and Brooke (10)
jaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2007 at 8:49pm
The other thing I've found is that I'm probably a bit more assertive now than I was in my 20's. Plus there is more information and support around now than there was when I had my first.

I don't find the tiredness a problem which surprises me because I thought I would experience more of it with being older, perhaps the temperament of the baby makes a difference though.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2007 at 10:49am
Thanks everyone, look like we can do it and have the family we want.
I'll have to work on DF about having more than One

[/url]

Angel June 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply