FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedECV

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Emmecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2010 at 12:50pm

Ok am bumping this as I've just come back from mw and baby girl is breech  

She said we've got 4 weeks for her to turn on her own, then we'll have a scan to see what's happening and if she's still breech then, we'll try acupuncture & ECV before booking in for a c-section at 38 weeks.

Is there anything I can do to try and help this baby turn before then? Does ECV hurt adn excuse my ignorance but how do they do it?!

I've read through this thread adn it doesn't sound like it helped in the majority of cases, or am I wrong?

REALLY don't want a c-section but my mw won't birth a breech and she said only 1 obstertrician in Wellington would even try and certain conditions had to be met first.

TIA

Sponsored Links

_SMS_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _SMS_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2010 at 12:58pm
Awwww that sucks Emmecat

But i recommend 100% Moxibustion Sticks!

T was breech at 37 weeks, i was 100% sure i wasnt going to try have her turned, i didnt like the risks involved. I went to get acupuncture and went away with moxi sticks instead.

The night we tried them, i had T turn while doing it, it was the 1st time using them. They have really good success rates. You can even buy them online. I got them for free from Hutt Hospital from the lady that did maternity acupuncture

Im not sure if you have heard of them, but here is a linky

Moxibustion

Because the link isnt very good, edited to say i used the sticks, we heated them and DP held them by my pressure points on my little toe. I think it was 10min on each toe, thats how long it took for T to move. I knew when she moved because it F***en hurt lol

Edited by Sabrina0007
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2010 at 12:58pm
check out the spinning babies website - there is some great info on there... and dont panic!

oh and because it is your second child i think that the ECV would be easier on your body and possibly more chance of success. They basically just rotate baby with their hands by manipulating the outside of your tummy - having a scan to see where everything is first though.

Edited by Bizzy

Emmecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2010 at 1:42pm

Oh yeah the mw said something about moxibustion....I'll def try that, thanks!

And I'll check out the spinning babies website too, cheers Bizzy.

weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2010 at 3:58pm
38 weeks!!! Addie was 39 weeks 3 days when she turned - give bubs a chance You're only 31 weeks anyway, there's heaps of time.

You could compromise - a midwife suggested if Addie was still breech when I went into labour I could ask them to give me an epidural, prep me for theatre, then give the ECV a good go (more of a go than they would have without an epi, as I've heard that yes, it does hurt), and if that didn't work then they could go ahead and do the c section (and if it did they could wheel me back out and I'd try to push her out). I was all prepared to try that, I wouldn't have signed c section consent form until after they'd given ECV a go.

See if you can find a Bowen therapist down there, that's what worked for me (although it doesn't always work, ask AzzaNZ, my therapist reckoned they can turn something like 75% of babies).

Mum to JJ, 4 July 2008 & Addie, 28 July 2010
AzzaNZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzzaNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2010 at 5:05pm
If you do have an ECV, dont do what I did and have it at 36 weeks. I thought rather have it early so that if the first attempt doesnt work there is time for a second try.

10 minutes after the ECV our son was born by emergency c-section

*edited to add: try moxibustion, positioning exercises (spinning babies), accupuncture, homeopathy (pulsatilla) and bowen therapy. If nothing works, then ECV.

Edited by AzzaNZ

http://intermittentblogger.wordpress.com
Emmecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2010 at 5:10pm

Hmmmm I guess you're right weegee, I will talk to my mw about all that. She was emphatic about no way no how would ANYONE even attempt a vaginal breech birth except for this one ob in Wgtn who *might* under the 'right' circumstances.

I dont care about scars or the surgery etc...I care that I'm still BF Clodagh and the logistics of looking after her and continuing to tandem feed on my own once DF goes back to work are a bit mind boggling if I've been laid up after a c-section IYKWIM?

Emmecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2010 at 5:11pm
Azza- yep that sounds like what my mw is suggesting...ECV at about 36/37 weeks. But to try all the other things first. To be fair to her, she also said there's heaps of time yet for bubs to turn on her own, it's just sent the sh!ts up me as it was such unexpected news.

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2010 at 5:45pm
Try swimming. This one was breech and I go swimming and its worked at getting him to turn. You could go in the evening (so that you don't have to take clodagh) and just use a flutterboard to kick around with if you aren't into doing swimming.
Emmecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2010 at 7:39pm

Thanks Stacey, will most deinately try that! Funnily enough I've been feeling the urge to go swimming lately...weird cos I'm not much of a swimmer and didn't have the same urge with Clodagh at all...but maybe it's my body trying to tell me something!!!

Will be nice to have a wee break from Clodagh sometimes too (not being horrible just she's quite busy lol)

MyLilSquishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyLilSquishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2010 at 1:29pm
Emmecat - I had 3 ECVs (2 on one day about 37 weeks and tried a 3rd one i think at 38+4)

and yup swimming is a good idea too. Breaststroke apparently lol. i cant do breastroke at the best of times lol.
flakesitchyfeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flakesitchyfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2010 at 6:02pm
I had an ECV at 39 weeks. It was successful, but awfully painful, and the drug to relax the uterus was the pits. But it worked :)
http://eggsineachbasket.blogspot.com/
minxynzl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minxynzl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2011 at 9:09pm
Emmecat - I'm 37 weeks and still breech but hoping to turn!
I have given birth vaginally to first son (19 years ago!) so really expected to do so this time to. I want to avoid C section if I can and my mw was confident we could try a V birth if this one is a bum or knee breech.
However today she told me that the hospital (Welington) are not very hapy to delver a breech full stop uness by c section as it is becoming a 'lost skill'. Very disapointing.
So tonight I went for my first accupuncure session and had moxa stick also. Have been given a stick for home use too. Hoping I will have him turn by himself before scan and appointment at hospital on monday.
You still have stacks of time left to turn so good luck! I will send you lots of turning vibes :)
heaf3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heaf3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2011 at 2:54pm
So, bubs is being naughty and has flipped around again after not making her mind up which way around she wanted to sit for weeks, but was head down last week. 36w today. Have an appointment at the hospital tomorrow to talk about ECV....

How painful is it really? and do they give you any pain relief or anything?

Anyone care to just run over the procedure for me? I know that there are some risks to having it done too...so nervous about it, but really don't want a C-sec!
AzzaNZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzzaNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2011 at 3:07pm
heaf3, its not painful, more uncomfortable.

If it follows how mine went you'll go in, meet the OB and they'll scan to check baby. They'll discuss the procedure and whether or not they are willing to do it.

Then you'll get on a hospital bed, move clothes away from your bump and they will put velcro straps around your bump with a monitor so they can keep an eye on babies heartbeat.

You'll be given a mask to breathe in a muscle relaxant.

Then the OB will check the heartbeat and all is ok, cover your bump in ultrasound gel and use her hands to try push baby around.

For me it was a lot of pressure and I ended up holding my breath while she was doing it because it felt almost like I was being sat on.

My ECV worked, baby turned head down with a very loud "crack". BUT... it turns out his cord wasnt in the best position and when he turned he also engaged and the cord got caught in between his head and my pelvis so he was born 10 minutes later by emergency c-section.

The only thing I would have done differently if we were doing it again would be to book the ECV for after 37 weeks. I feel bad that my little boy was born earlier than he should have been!

Red View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2011 at 3:12pm
A friend of mine had one done and she was suprised that it actually wasn't too bad. Baby stayed in position and she went on to have a normal delivery a few weeks later.
heaf3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heaf3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2011 at 3:15pm
Red i want a scenario like your friend lol.

thanks for that Azza. did they not check where the cord was on the scan before they did yours or had it moved?
AzzaNZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzzaNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2011 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by heaf3 heaf3 wrote:

Red i want a scenario like your friend lol.

thanks for that Azza. did they not check where the cord was on the scan before they did yours or had it moved?

I don't know if they checked where it was on the scan before the ECV, I don't remember them mentioning it, the OB seemed more concerned by where his legs and feet were and also by his size (they estimated him to be a lot smaller than he was).

heaf3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heaf3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2011 at 10:26am
well I'm booked in for next friday so hopefully bubs turns around before then!
Red View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2011 at 10:28am
Good luck, yep you never know hopefully she will turn by herself!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>