FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSome questions about Aropax

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
caraMel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caraMel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Some questions about Aropax
    Posted: 02 November 2007 at 2:42pm
Has anyone taken this?

How long did it take for you to start feeling better?

Did you experience any side effects?

How long until the side effects went away?

How long did you take it for and was it hard to come off it?

Would you recommend it to help with anxiety/depression?

Thanks heaps!
Mel, Mummy to E: 6, B: 4 and:

Sponsored Links

Kels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2007 at 5:38pm

Hi luvvy. When I first started I had 5 straight days of feeling nauseous like a really bad case of morning sickness and if I ate it got worse but then it subsided on  the 6th day and I havent had any other side effects. It took me 2weeks and all of a sudden the clouds lifted and I was a new person. Goodluck hun

Busy mum to Miss 15yrs, Miss 10yrs and Master 4yrs
Gracielou View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gracielou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2007 at 8:31pm

Sorry can't answer any of your questions, just wanted to send a hug.

Glow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2007 at 7:03am
Has anyone taken this?
Yep

I felt terrible for over 2 weeks, then discontinued *i like doing things i was told not to do*

Yes many, incl. loss of control over bowel movements

Dont know coz i didnt continue after 2 weeks of terrible side affects

N/A
Yes but it depends on you & what will work for you- it doesnt hurt to try- bearing in mind it will no longer be subsidised

Mummy of Two Boys
B: 2004
K: 2007

Anna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2007 at 12:49pm
Mel, i was on aropax for yonks if you wanna hear all about it! There were some crazy side effects but it was good in the long run!
Anna

MonicaMouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MonicaMouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2007 at 1:04pm
I was on aropax about 6 years ago. I do remember the first couple of days feeling absolutley wiped out - I htink I slept for the better part of 3 days. (No children at the time) After those inital days I was definately more alert and even slept better at night. The one thing I think it did contribute to was some weight gain. Everyone told me that once I came off the tablets that it would 'fall off'. However I think the bad eating habits that was one of my other ways to help me deal with what was going on also contributed and meant that it didn't fall off when I changed tablets - (I was concerned about the gain). If I remember correctly the dr also told me that it could prevent 'the big O' during special hug time. (at the time special hugs were the last thing on my mind. I can't remembe r how long I was on them, and because I change tablets I can't tell you about any withdrawl symptoms. (I did end up going cold turkey when I came off the others and don't remember anything major.

Blair 15/10/2007
Daniel 30/07/2009
Bumble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bumble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2007 at 4:26pm
Has anyone taken this?
Yes.

Started off with half a Tab, but gradually progressed to 2 tabs a day (Max is 3..) DH noticed a difference straight away. I noticed it gradually. Not flying off the handle at small things. Was a whole heap more relaxed about going out with Ethan and more relaxed about unexpected changes in plans....

Weight gain and couldn't stand the heat in summer....

Have been off Aropax for a year now, so this summer will be a test to see how I react to the heat. Have also been steadily losing the weight that I gained.

3 yrs total. I did a quick "withdrawl" program as I was supposed to go onto some other drug, but didn't in the end. To do the quick qithdrawl I had to take half a tab less every second day and maintain that for a week. i.e. Mon ~ 2 tabs, Tues ~ 1.5, Wed ~2 Thurs ~1.5 Fri ~ 2. Once I had stabilised with that I then added in another day of the 1.5 tab. i.e Mon 2, tues 1.5 weds 1.5 thurs 2, then slowly got down to 1.5. Left it a week on 1.5 then began the process again to get down to one tab...

YES!!!!! Was a godsend for me a really helped me through some tough times... I also know my "signs" now and have no issues if I need my "happy pills" again...

PM Me if you want to ask more questions etc..... Or if you want to catch up.

Phew what a novel!!! LOL
formerly known as "Bee"

Ethan ~ March 2003 Big 6 year old school boy!
Micah ~ Aug 2008 ~ Smiley pants who loves telephones!
Redbedrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redbedrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2007 at 9:25am
] Has anyone taken this?Yes

How long did it take for you to start feeling better?About 10 days, full effects in a month
Did you experience any side effects? Yes, initially I got a feeling of disorientation, but longterm, I still get some tingling in feet and hands and night sweats

The initial ones lasted a week-10 days
How long did you take it for and was it hard to come off it?I have been advised to continue taking it for one year, which will take me to next Feb/Mar
Would you recommend it to help with anxiety/depression?It works for me, but not for everyone
Hope that helps, I was lucky and found something to help straight away. Good luck
Claire
Redbedrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redbedrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2007 at 10:54am
Originally posted by Glow Glow wrote:

Yes but it depends on you & what will work for you- it doesnt hurt to try- bearing in mind it will no longer be subsidised

Aropax is no longer subsidised but Loxamine is and it's the same drug
caraMel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caraMel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2007 at 12:56pm
Thanks heaps for the responses everyone, you've pretty much answered all my questions

Thanks for the hug too Debbie, you're such a sweetie

midnight_sakura View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midnight_sakura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2007 at 8:43pm
It took me 2 weeks before i was feeling better. Rule of thumb is it takes 2 weeks to build up or clear out of your system... Dont miss more than 2 days as you can feel some yuck withdrawl symptoms.

I have been on aropax for 3 years now and it is the softest on the body.
caraMel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caraMel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2008 at 6:58pm
Bumping for Foxxy

ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2008 at 10:22pm
thanks....man im not sure i want to take it after reading this:(
Mum to two amazing boys!
caraMel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caraMel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2008 at 11:11pm
I didn't wind up taking it. Apparently it is one of the most gentle meds on the body but everyone I asked about it and everything I researched had complaints about side effects of one kind or another.
As my Dr said, it comes down to a question of whether the side effects would be better or worse than what you're putting up with now. For me, I couldn't cope with any more physical symptoms, they just triggered my anxiety off even worse. Luckily I've managed to come through the worst of it now

Good luck Foxxy, I know how frustrating it can be trying to decide what is right for you, for now.

ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2008 at 9:19am
mine is mostly just ocd which ive lived with forever anyway..the only side affects he said were it can make you have trouble sleeping and make you worse before better..he never said any of that stuff.. DH reckons i should try it but im not prepared for two weeks of hell before it gets better.. far out.. lucky i read the info sheet and logged on here before i started!
Mum to two amazing boys!
Vanillabean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vanillabean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2008 at 6:18pm
I've never taken aropax but I have taken fluoxetine (prozac) and citalopram which are also SSRIs. All I can really say is that taking antidepressants changed my life hugely for the better. It worked within 3-4 weeks.

I think the way that people react to these drugs is very individual. I got insomnia and agitation on fluoextine but no side effects from citalopram. I think its true that sometimes you have to go through a bit of pain to get the right drug but it is so worth it.

I heard that aropax is particularly good if you are anxious or have insomnia but is once of the hardest to come off because the drug leaves the system really quickly which causes withdrawl symptoms. Although, once again that's very individual.

Good luck and take care.
5x mc, Jan 08, June 08, Nov 08, May 09, April 11

mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2008 at 7:58pm
Wow, Aropax is pretty widely prescribed huh?!

The doc i went to said he realllllly does not like using it as it was one of the first of it's kind out and has nasty side effects etc etc.. so he put me on Citalopram instead - same family of meds but newer, works in the same way, but tweaked so it's not quite as icky.

But anyway, i am about the same as the rest.. when i first started i had different symptoms/side effects for a fair while including cotton mouth (argh drove me batty!) headaches, stomach upsets, nausea and loss of appetite, dizzyness, tiredness, vision changes. The first few nights i got up to go to the loo in the middle of the night and pretty much stumbled down the hallway cos i was sooo groggy, and dizzy and couldn't see properly either. Oh the fun. But slowly each just stopped happening as much and i got to a point where i was thinking "hhm is it working? is it not? maybe i'm just getting better myself?" and then yep, about 2 weeks after starting i kinda woke up one day and felt pretty good and that was about it.
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2008 at 8:27pm
The cotton mouth seems to be an antidepressant thing in general, I was on tricyclics and they have the same side effect.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2008 at 3:43pm
I've decided not to take them..partly as i have to stay on them and partly those side effects just aren't good enough for me.. a personal thing..I have a 4 month old to look after and dont want weeks of feeling worse(and permanent side effects)..it's not running my life(the OCD) so hopefully will just sort it out another way..still really pissed off about lack of couselling..so i guess will have to pay the 130$ a session:(

anyway i know for some people its worth the first few weeks.. i am very very surprised my doc just prescribed it and didnt even tell me most of this:(
Mum to two amazing boys!
caraMel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caraMel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2008 at 3:52pm
Mine was the same Foxxy, all she said was that some people feel a little dizzy for the first day or two.
Did you check out WINZ for the counselling supplement?

Post Reply Post Reply