FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWanted: Easy Pav Recipe

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
aimeejoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimeejoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wanted: Easy Pav Recipe
    Posted: 29 November 2007 at 8:08am
Having Xmas at our place this year and would like to try making the pav, rather than buying a supermarket one. So who's got a super easy recipe - I love baking but never made one before...
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08
Sponsored Links

peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2007 at 8:26am
I used the recipe in the edmonds cookbook and it turned out fine. it is really easy!!! There is debate about whether you leave it in the oven once you turn the oven off or not and do you leave the door open or not during this time so maybe some experienced pav makers can help.

I also find, its best not to make one on a really humid day....they go sticky.
aimeejoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimeejoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2007 at 8:38am
Thanks for that - will see what others say about the cooking part...
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2007 at 8:53am
Will ask my nana - she makes the BEST pavs - although nowadays she rarely cooks them and I have a sneaking suspicion she buys them from the shops and passes them off as her own.
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2007 at 9:13am
i think there is really only one pav recipe...

My nana used to be our pav maker for xmas and i haven taken on the role now... i love making the pav.

Nana used to say that when it comes to beating the egg whites that when you think they are stiff, you're wrong, and beat it again.... also she swore by leaving it in the oven overnight with the door shut.

My pavs always sink in the middle but once i cream and decorate them you can never tell...

Good luck! i want to know how yours turn out...   

ShellandBella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShellandBella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2007 at 8:28am
Yeah, I've heard also, that its best if your eggs are at room temperature first and that you don't make one on a hot day...I tried the edmonds one and it collapsed , so I'd love to know a 'fail proof' recipe too!

tishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2007 at 11:07am
Originally posted by GandT GandT wrote:

Nana used to say that when it comes to beating the egg whites that when you think they are stiff, you're wrong, and beat it again....

I do the 'hold the bowl upside down above my head test'
hailstones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hailstones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2007 at 11:22am
I have made heaps of pavs at work and the tips above are great ones! Use the edmonds recipe - we generally do, its tried and true.
Another few tips I could add to the above is make sure you add the sugar SLOWLY!! Use the bake rather than fan bake in your oven as fan bake can alter the temp slightly. Try not to open the oven when its cooking but if you have to DON'T slam the door!!
If all else fails and it does collapse - one word - CREAM

ETA - I think you are best to leave them to cool in the oven until the oven is cold as well.

Edited by hailstones

aimeejoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimeejoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2007 at 3:13pm
Awesome thanks for all the great tips everyone!
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2007 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by tishy tishy wrote:

Nana used to say that when it comes to beating the egg whites that when you think they are stiff, you're wrong, and beat it again....

I do the 'hold the bowl upside down above my head test'

ooooo never heard of that one!? are you just having me on hoping i end up with pav mix on my head??? lol!!!??

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShellandBella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2007 at 3:34pm
Yeah, thats an old test for the stiffness of your egg whites - actually I think I've seen Jamie Oliver do that to test that the egg whites were stiff enough

tishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2007 at 3:42pm

ooooo never heard of that one!? are you just having me on hoping i end up with pav mix on my head??? lol!!!??

Would I?!?!

Honestly though I'm normally pretty sure of it's stiffness before I do the test.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShellandBella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2007 at 3:18pm
I was so inspired by this thread, decided to try my hand at one myself . This was the Annabel Langbein pav recipe and seemed to work, its the highest pav I've ever made (although I haven't tried it yet, but it certainly looks scrummy)

I didn't think about getting anything to garnish it though...darn it!

aimeejoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimeejoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2007 at 7:02pm
WOW! That is an awesome looking pav - bet it tastes yummy!!
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2007 at 7:24pm
I used the pav recipe on this page the other night - my first pav - and it turned out fantastic! I was really impressed I beat for 60 seconds in between every spoonful of sugar but it was sooo worth it! And I never knew egg white could get that thick!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShellandBella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2007 at 8:13pm
Yeah, I beat the egg whites for 10 minutes (as per recipe) it was devine too!! yum, yum (but VERY sweet)

busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2007 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by ShellandBella ShellandBella wrote:

(but VERY sweet)

It's supposed to be!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply